Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What makes a run a good run?

ANSWERED

Sometimes I run and I feel really tired after.  It feels like a chore.  Other times, like today, after I ran  I feel pumped up.  I run at the same time, and the same trail each day.  Is it possible to make a run a good run? Or is it just an alignment of the stars?

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@MagsOnTheBeach, I run and I coach a lot of runners from rank beginners through age-group elites; fact of life, some days running sucks, it's hard, it hurts, and you feel like crap while you're running, and sometimes worse when you finish.  Other days you feel like you can run all day while barely breaking a sweat.  That and tomorrow's run will probably be different than today's which was certainly different than yesterday's.

Long story short, any run is a good run, regardless of how you feel/felt before, during, or after.  🙂

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
9 REPLIES 9

I feel pumped up when I attempt to set a new distance record in a certain amount of time. That record sets the bar for the next time I attempt to set a new record in a couple of weeks time. Running at the same time of day can be a habit like brushing your teeth and taking a shower. Usually there is one day in the week where I get all hyped up to break my running record and all other days are moderate running.

Best Answer

It could be diet-related. If you’re on a low-carb diet, try eating your carbs around your running, so you’ve got enough energy during and after your effort.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

@MagsOnTheBeach wrote:

Sometimes I run and I feel really tired after.  It feels like a chore.  Other times, like today, after I ran  I feel pumped up.  I run at the same time, and the same trail each day.  Is it possible to make a run a good run? Or is it just an alignment of the stars?

If you are doing the exact same thing day in and day out, I can see where it would get repetitive and you can easily feel like you are in a rut.  I would suggest changing the scenery or add some gamification. 

Best Answer

I think it is how well you slept, what you ate, how hydrated you are, what you have on your mind, how much did you really want to go in the first place. I used to run almost every day. Then I realized I hated it. So I cut back to twice per week and still hated it. So I stopped. I didn't run for two months. And then I ran again and realized I will never love it, but I can do it once per week to help with weekend eating, variation of routine and salt purge through insane sweating. That's my limit. My feet and attitude thank me.

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer

@MagsOnTheBeach, I run and I coach a lot of runners from rank beginners through age-group elites; fact of life, some days running sucks, it's hard, it hurts, and you feel like crap while you're running, and sometimes worse when you finish.  Other days you feel like you can run all day while barely breaking a sweat.  That and tomorrow's run will probably be different than today's which was certainly different than yesterday's.

Long story short, any run is a good run, regardless of how you feel/felt before, during, or after.  🙂

Best Answer

@shipo wrote:

That not only sums up running, but pretty much sums up life~

Best Answer

It all depends on the definition of "good run". I don't enjoy running at all, and only occasionally do HIIT sprints. Every single time I do them, I hate the cardio, I hate the running, I hate the burning sensation in my chest. For me, a "good run" has a lot of general unpleasantness and discomfort, so almost every run is good.

For me running performance is secondary--if I end up generally hating life while running--the intensity is there so it's a good run.  Sometimes a change of expectation helps. 

Another important skill I see in training (though from weightlifting) is being able to compensate for the peaks and valleys, to normalize performance. Not just working harder when I have the energy or cutting slack when I'm not feeling low.  But making sure performance goals for that day are met if possible, regardless of my "internal weather".

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

Best Answer
0 Votes

MagsOn TheBeach:  I ran for over 25 years, 365 days a year, and never had a bad run.  I found the hardest thing about getting up to run was putting on my shoes.  As soon as I started my run I felt great, I used to to get rid of built up stress in my life, plan my day, or just get into a zone.  After a mile or two It was like I was on automatic pilot.  I enjoyed the clean air( I ran at 5AM), the smell of flowers in the spring and summer, some of my best runs were after a freshly fallen snow with all the trees covered in snow, it was a beautiful sight.  I would run that day because it felt good the day before, and I would run the following day because it felt so good today.  I can still remember running in a 10K race sponsored by the Hospital that employed me, they brought in Frank Shorter to do a presentation before the run,  the subject  of his presentation was that running is 80% mental and only 20% physical.  I still think back on that when I do my daily exercise.  80% mental, 20% physical.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@emili wrote:

I think it is how well you slept, what you ate, how hydrated you are, what you have on your mind, how much did you really want to go in the first place. I used to run almost every day. Then I realized I hated it. So I cut back to twice per week and still hated it. So I stopped. I didn't run for two months. And then I ran again and realized I will never love it, but I can do it once per week to help with weekend eating, variation of routine and salt purge through insane sweating. That's my limit. My feet and attitude thank me.

That is so well described, @emili. I have experienced the 'running everyday and hating it' phase. I still do it sometimes, but I am learning to heed the body's signs and adapt accordingly. Taking few days off running and putting the same time of something like a spin cycle or swimming is refreshing for me, and when I run after, I feel my legs are thanking me by breezing through the distance. 

A good run for any particular day would be when you feel strong and light, and can carry though the planned workout for that day - speed, endurance, hill, etc. Again, as many have mentioned, sleep and diet will play a big role in it being a good day to run. I would know, because I struggle with keeping a consistent sleep cycle, and it surely shows up in the runs.

Best Answer
0 Votes