Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When sickness Strikes...

Rather it's a cold or the down right flu, what do you do? Do you push yourself to get those steps? Do you rest and let your body heal? what about taking a day off once a week? Meaning you dont worry about meeting your goal for the day?

Best Answer
0 Votes
6 REPLIES 6

Hi @trussell74

For a cold, I should think you could keep going towards your goals. But for the flu, rest is in order.

I'm all for taking one day a week to rest and be peaceful, meditate, pray or just watch some movies. 🙂

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

Best Answer
0 Votes
I agree...a mental reset if you will
Best Answer
0 Votes

I get my 10k steps no matter what. I had the flu and had a fever for 3 days. I still got my 10k steps by slowly pacing my house whenever I had the chance. I didn’t want to ruin my step streak. 

However, it definitely would’ve been wiser to give up the streak and rest as much as possible. But I just couldn’t end my streak. 

Heather | Community Council | Eastern Shore, AL
Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I am the sort that will carry my leg over my shoulder if need be to get to the finish line. however, I have learned that when my head or my lungs are not right, I can't do anything meaningful for fitness and it is just wasted effort. If anything it is a set back to getting back to how I should be.. so rest and movies. I have recently discovered a few series on Amazon... so wine, hot tea and whining with Amazon at least one day 🙂

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer
0 Votes

@trussell74 I just recovered (almost) from the flu. I did spend last week almost entirely at home feeling like crap. When you sick, you're sick. That's it. I don't do steps but had to cease all the regular activities, cancel weekend field trip etc. Exercising while being sick will only weaken your immune system. Taking a walk if you feel like it it's fine but your body gives you signals that you should listen to. Mind that if you take any medication like ie. paracetamol then it may make you think you're getting better. There is a common misconception that common cold&flu medication (usually, paracetamol based, available with no prescription) is there to heal you but reality is that it's there to supress the symptoms. It only means that you will feel better but won't be any less sick. Getting well may take time and it's better to give that time to your body rather than suffer sickness come backs every few weeks. It is a strange feeling when not doing the usual stuff but what's necessary is necessary.

Best Answer
0 Votes

The last time I was sick, I had a sight increase in fever of 105°F believe me when I say I didn't get out of bed. 

This was the 5th time over 105 and I've been over 106 twice. 

BTW since I started making and eating fermented foods I haven't had a sick day. 

Best Answer
0 Votes