Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which device best fits

ANSWERED

My exercise is cycling walking and swimming. IO am retuning my froce to to a rash. Which device would best fit my needs.

Best Answer
0 Votes
2 BEST ANSWERS

Accepted Solutions

@nucat wrote:

My exercise is cycling walking and swimming.

No Fitbit tracker can properly track those activities, but the Flex may be the most suitable, as you can keep it while in the pool.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes

@nucat wrote:

My exercise is cycling walking and swimming. IO am retuning my froce to to a rash. Which device would best fit my needs.

Any Fitbit would be fine for walking and general activity. I don't think any Fitbit will be that great for cycling or swimming though.

For swimming and cycling, I use a heart rate monitor. For swimming you would need a waterproof heart rate monitor. Alternately, you could use the fitbit for your walking and all day activity then manually log cycling by distance and swimming by stroke and distance and get a pretty good calorie burn estimate.

The Flex is water resistant so you can wear it swimming (I believe, I don't have a Flex), but my impression is it might not track the activity of swimming that well. There are devices that use accelerometers (like what is in fitbit) to track swimming--but they do little else. Poolmate, Swimsense, I think Garmin has a movement based swim watch.  There are all day activity trackers  that say you can wear them swimming, and so far the reviews I've seen it sounds like they really don't track swimming well. While the swim specific watches may do fine (my understanding is they are programmed with the movement patters your arms would make for the more popular swim strokes so they count your strokes and estiamte calorie burn from your profile stats, the stroke used and how many you do). My guess is that other trackers don't do this as well because the device would need to be programmed specifically for swimming, the motion based tracking most use will assume you are moving on dry land. Same for cycling--and they would need to be worn where the device could feel you pedal. The extra resistance from the water would make you seem less active. There seem to be new devices coming out all the time so this may change, it seems there are often a lot of bugs with the newer devices from companies not as well known for fitness trackers.

A heart rate monitor would work fine for either cycling or swimming and you could manually log the calorie burn your monitor gives if you prefer a device over logging it by distance. If you have a smart phone and cycle outside, you could automatically log cycling by using one of the GPS activity tracking apps to automatically log it by distance for you. I don't think there is an automatic option for swimming though. If you feel your force worked well for swimming, the flex might work about the same.

Sam | USA

Fitbit One, Macintosh, IOS

Accepting solutions is your way of passing your solution onto others and improving everybody’s Fitbit experience.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
3 REPLIES 3

@nucat wrote:

My exercise is cycling walking and swimming.

No Fitbit tracker can properly track those activities, but the Flex may be the most suitable, as you can keep it while in the pool.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@nucat wrote:

Any Fitbit would be fine for walking and general activity. I don't think any Fitbit will be that great for cycling or swimming though.

For swimming and cycling, I use a heart rate monitor. For swimming you would need a waterproof heart rate monitor. Alternately, you could use the fitbit for your walking and all day activity then manually log cycling by distance and swimming by stroke and distance and get a pretty good calorie burn estimate.

The Flex is water resistant so you can wear it swimming (I believe, I don't have a Flex), but my impression is it might not track the activity of swimming that well. There are devices that use accelerometers (like what is in fitbit) to track swimming--but they do little else. Poolmate, Swimsense, I think Garmin has a movement based swim watch.  There are all day activity trackers  that say you can wear them swimming, and so far the reviews I've seen it sounds like they really don't track swimming well. While the swim specific watches may do fine (my understanding is they are programmed with the movement patters your arms would make for the more popular swim strokes so they count your strokes and estiamte calorie burn from your profile stats, the stroke used and how many you do). My guess is that other trackers don't do this as well because the device would need to be programmed specifically for swimming, the motion based tracking most use will assume you are moving on dry land. Same for cycling--and they would need to be worn where the device could feel you pedal. The extra resistance from the water would make you seem less active. There seem to be new devices coming out all the time so this may change, it seems there are often a lot of bugs with the newer devices from companies not as well known for fitness trackers.

A heart rate monitor would work fine for either cycling or swimming and you could manually log the calorie burn your monitor gives if you prefer a device over logging it by distance. If you have a smart phone and cycle outside, you could automatically log cycling by using one of the GPS activity tracking apps to automatically log it by distance for you. I don't think there is an automatic option for swimming though. If you feel your force worked well for swimming, the flex might work about the same.

Sam | USA

Fitbit One, Macintosh, IOS

Accepting solutions is your way of passing your solution onto others and improving everybody’s Fitbit experience.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Well, I find that my Charge 2 and my old Charge HR both were good for walking and cycling. It is not waterproof but only splash proof so that's no good for swimming. I wouldn't wear any watch  swimming anyway though, even if labelled as water proof. The Charge 2 is better for multi-sports and tracks many different sports. You can even chose what sports you do often. The Charge 2 has relax for 2 minutes focussing on your breathing and relaxation which is very good for after sports.

@slysam wrote:

@nucat wrote:

@slysam wrote:

@nucat wrote:

Good luck finding the best Fitbit to suit you.

@slysam wrote:

@nucat wrote:

Best Answer
0 Votes