Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which fitbit is best for boxing?

ANSWERED

I'd like to track my progress at the boxing gym where I wear hand wraps under 12-16oz gloves daily. I'm not sure if the HR would fit under my gloves and I won't be able to wear anything on my chest as I get hit there. Are there any boxers out here that use a FitBit? Please let me know which one you use and if it works for you. Thanks!

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

i box, and i do not think fitbit (or my polar HR) would work.

back when i used my Polar, the monitor always came off because yes, you get hit in the chest a lot. so what i did was that, i did not measure my calorie burn in sparring. i am not competing, so the max i got was 6 rounds of sparring, while the rest were routines and drills. the calories i logged in was enough, while the unaccounted 6 rounds was sort of my "extra."

i do not think any fitbit will work in sparring. sure, it would give you some "steps" but there is no way in the world that would be accurate. the footwork in boxing is very different from walking. if you want to measure your progress in boxing, see how well you fight. if a guy who used to kick your butt without sweating is beginning to sweat, that is progress.

if you are concerned with the calorie burns, i suggest you do it like i did - just do not log it in. i doubt that sparring will constitute more than 30% of your training routine (in my case, i'd go about 14 to 18 rounds, and sparring only happens once or twice a week, with 6 rounds max, 9 rounds on special occassions and 3 rounds on very normal days) - especially if you are not training for an amateur bout.

if you are training for an amateur fight, calorie burns are the least of your problems.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
5 REPLIES 5

@sidtyson It's great to see you here! I found this thread where you can find some advice about this. 

Hope this helps you to choose the best tracker for you Robot Happy

Want to get more active? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes

i box, and i do not think fitbit (or my polar HR) would work.

back when i used my Polar, the monitor always came off because yes, you get hit in the chest a lot. so what i did was that, i did not measure my calorie burn in sparring. i am not competing, so the max i got was 6 rounds of sparring, while the rest were routines and drills. the calories i logged in was enough, while the unaccounted 6 rounds was sort of my "extra."

i do not think any fitbit will work in sparring. sure, it would give you some "steps" but there is no way in the world that would be accurate. the footwork in boxing is very different from walking. if you want to measure your progress in boxing, see how well you fight. if a guy who used to kick your butt without sweating is beginning to sweat, that is progress.

if you are concerned with the calorie burns, i suggest you do it like i did - just do not log it in. i doubt that sparring will constitute more than 30% of your training routine (in my case, i'd go about 14 to 18 rounds, and sparring only happens once or twice a week, with 6 rounds max, 9 rounds on special occassions and 3 rounds on very normal days) - especially if you are not training for an amateur bout.

if you are training for an amateur fight, calorie burns are the least of your problems.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you reuel, this was exactly what I was looking for!

Based off that, I don't think I'll get a fitbit as yet. I'll wait and see if they release something that is more geared towards boxing.

Thanks for the details.

Best Answer
0 Votes

FitBit is meant to be for running and walking, counting your steps and distance. It is pretty useless for any martial art.

I do Tae-Kwon-Doe and did not use my fitbit once, in fact, we are not even allowed to wear it, due safety issues.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have a charge 2 and I just wear it above my wraps on my arm and it fits snug under my glove. 

Best Answer
0 Votes