Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Working out at 93-96% max heart rate for thirty minutes.

My Charge HR consistently says that I'm working out at 93-95% of my max heart rate for almost an entire workout (32 minutes of a 33 minute workout). It has me thinking that the heart rate calculation is not accurate because how is that even possible? I don't feel dizzy or nauseous nor do I have any chest tightness. I've tried staying in the "calorie burn" zone but it literally feels like I'm taking a Sunday stroll through a garden. It doesn't feel like I'm working out at all if my heart rate is anything below 160 and according to every calculation I've seen, my max heart rate should be 179 (I'm 41). My workouts are nothing wild either, I generally just hit the elliptical for half an hour. Just to give an example, yesterday I sustained an average heart rate of 171 for 32 minutes, my workout was only 33 minutes. How did my heart rate go up so fast and if it really was that fast for that long, wouldn't I have felt it? I do not have high blood pressure or any other health problems.  I don't consider myself over weight, though I could stand to lose about ten pounds. 

Best Answer
12 REPLIES 12

Have you tried manually checking your pulse/using the machine's built in HR devices to compare it against the fitbit? I find if it isn't placed just so it will underreport (I ran on a treadmill today for 12 minutes at, apparently, 120bpm instead of my usual ~160) but haven't experienced it over reporting yet.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@KeicoD: in my personal experience, HR-based Fitbits tend to underestimate HR when exercising at the highest intensity level, or to "miss" peaks. The fact your Charge 2 reports a very high HR for the entire time of your workout may suggest you have resumed exercising after being sedentary for a long time. As you become fitter, your HR should start to decrease (at the same intensity).

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

Hi KeicoD - there are some good phone apps for checking heart rates which, depending on the type of exercise you are doing, you could possibly use to cross-check the heart rates that your Fitbit is quoting.  Before I got a Fitbit I was using an app called Cardiio (yes with 2 i's) which I've still used occasionally to check my fitbit rates.  It works through your phone's light and you place your index finger over the camera lens, and by itself seems to be very accurate when compared to manual pulse checks.  When i've tested the app and the fitbit together, they both generally report the same or very similar rates, although occasionally they can be wildly different (it feels like the fitbit is undercounting if anything) and it feels like the app is closer to the mark than the Fitbit.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've tried checking my heart rate on the machine and my phone and they both register 20 beats higher than my Fitbit. Also, I'm in pretty decent shape. Not great, but I'd say above average for someone my age.  I've been working out and running for years, I ran my first marathon in 2012 and I've run a marathon or a half marathon (alternating years) every year since then. I also run at least 4 5k',s a year and one 10k a year, so being out of shape isn't the issue. When I say I could stand to lose 10 lbs, they are vanity pounds, I'm 5'6" and weigh 143 lbs. I do take two strength training classes and one core class during the week and my HR never gets above 120 in those classes, if that helps at all. 

Best Answer

Hi again Keico,

Next time you work out please immediately stop when you get this consistently high reading and check your pulse by hand.

If it is actually that high that long with your level of conditioning I am immediately concerned and think you should check in with your doctor to make sure everything is okay.

If it's in fact running that high something is making your heart work harder than it should be and it should be identified on the off chance it is something serious.

Best Answer

Some people boast about their super-low resting HR. Similarly, some very fit athletes could boast about their ability to sustain a super-high peak HR without feeling exhausted. Maybe you’re one of them, having a max. HR higher than the one predicted by the standard formula (220 - age), which is known not to apply to quite a few people. If you had the newer Charge 2, you would probably have a high Cardio Fitness Score.

If this max. HR thing is bothering you (and you’re ready to spend some extra money), here are a couple of suggestions:

1) get yourself a Polar H7 (considered the "gold standard" for self-measurement of HR) and compare the HR values you get for a high-intensity activity to those you’re getting with your Charge HR. You can use it with an app like iCardio (available for Android and iOS) to determine your max. HR, your custom HR zones and to perform fitness assessment tests like Cooper (one of the best ways to determine your VO2Max).

2) book an effort test performed on an ergometer (+ possibly an appointment with a cardiologist). It’s more expensive, but it’s done under the supervision of a medical professional and would provide you with useful info about your cardiovascular health. 

Otherwise just enjoy your ability to complete cardio exercises without any discomfort. 

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I also just noticed that my resting heart rate has been steadily increasing.  It's gone from the low to mid 60's to the low to mid 70's during the past month and a half.  I think I'll make an appointment with my doctor, just to be on the safe side. 

Best Answer

Great decision. When I made my previous comment I did not consider that you might be American - if so I hope that it does not cost you much to get checked. 😞 

Best Answer
0 Votes

How long does it take for your heart rate to return to normal after a workout like this?

Best Answer

@KeicoD- for me, constantly higher resting heart rate in the past has definitely been an indicator for illness.  Mine still swings between mid 50s and mid 60s.  As long as it continues that way I ignore it, when it starts to creep into the 70s I rest up for a bit and it drops.  I'm not sure it's necessarily over-training in my case, but probably a little bit of burn-out.  I'm glad you're going to see someone about it.

Anne | Rural Ontario, Canada

Ionic (gifted), Alta HR (gifted), Charge 2, Flex 2, Charge HR, One, Blaze (retired), Trendweight.com,

Down 150 pounds from my top weight (and still going), sharing my experiences here to try and help others.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Have to agree with (It is time to consult your Health Care Practitioner to rule out any underlying conditions for sure ) such  as:

( a Thyroid issue for example) .

When it comes to HR Monitoring especially it is important to understand Everyone is different!!!

when it comes to establishing your own norms such as (Resting HR).

Which in my opinion can be a  good indicator when it comes  to avoiding an over training situation.

That said there are two types of Resting Heart Rate in my opinion one has to consider.

Your Resting Heart Rate when you first wake up after good nights sleep taken before you get out of bed.

Then there is your resting heart taken at times during the day while sitting still during the day.

The first one should be taken before getting out of bed is a good indicator of such once a baseline Avg is establish over a period of several days.  I find that  this resting heart rate if it starts to elevate over time is the best indicator of over training hands down. ( I watch for an AVERAGE increase of 5 beats or more over a few days ) ( A)  Over Training is Possible ( B ) if you know with absolute certainty that over training may not be the case that some other influence may be a play. ( stress, cold, ( coming down with a bug ) etc..)

The second Resting Heart Rate is the one you see during the day which is usually higher and changes during various times throughout the day.

Also mentioned in an above post was another important indicator of fitness level is Heart Rate Recovery.

Which is the  ( time or rate) it takes for you heart rate to lower after you stop exercising. Which is a whole different subject when it comes to training using heart rate monitoring. What again needs to be understood again is that everyone responses differently  when it comes to establishing norms.

In this case I would be concerned more so if during a training session(s) is if your heart rate tends to remain high with no noticeable reduction once you slow down or reduce the workload load.

That said the best advice really is ( It is time to consult your Health Care Practitioner to rule out any underlying causes for sure and to put your mind at ease

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi there. Did you find out what was going on? I have the exact same problem. I have an appointment with a Cardiologist this week. I run 4 to 5 tines a week and do a HIIT class 2-3 times a week. I'm always ok until I start doing cardio for longer than 5 minutes. I hope everything was ok. 

Best Answer