Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

You can't gain muscle while losing weight! (A research project)

ANSWERED

Many times I've heard people say "You can't gain muscle weight while losing weight!" Or at least they said it was difficult. I did some Googling, and heard other people say you can. I've also heard people say, "Don't worry about the few pounds you put on. It might just be muscle weight.

Eventually, someone says the burden of proof is the person who makes a claim as you can't prove a negative. The thing is, the scientific method is based on proving the previous paradigm is flawed. In the case of resistance training and any other sport, whole training programs are based upon flawed paradigms. This includes training programs that have been shown to be successful. The winning coach is the one who can uncover the flaws and secretly use the new paradigm with his team. 

I'll lead you through the process I used to "disprove" this statement. I say "disprove" because during February, I did a prospective study, which is based on real time data collection. I'll go one step at a time so the post isn't too long (too late).

Feb 2018Feb 2018

A scatter gram is most often the best way to present data instead of a time series line graph. I put weight on the x-axis and lean weight on the y-axis. I started the month at the point with the gray label on the right and ended at the red data point on the  on the left. 

As it turns out, I did not disprove the statement "You cannot gain lean mass while losing weight." All it may mean is I don't have the right data or perhaps my analysis is incorrect. I'll present the next step in the next post.

Comments on the structure of the experiment?

Best Answer
23 REPLIES 23

@WavyDavey,

I'm glad you joined us! 

I'm satisfied that the weight vs. lean weight issue is a rabbit hole that has none of the benefits I'm looking for if I'm able to solve the riddle.

Right now, I'm going to continue with my progressive routine and hold my weight constant for a while. As long as this works, the best answer would be to keep doing it unless I have compelling evidence that something else is better.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

Capture.PNG

Just leaving this one for you here. I only have 39 data points as I got a new scale and there was a clear off-set between the two. On the x-axis total body weight in KG and on the y-axis lean mass in KG. It is a rather large cloud 😉 .

Karolien | The Netherlands

Best Answer

I think in order to discuss wether or not you can gain muscle while losing weight, you have to consider the timelime. To get to the current graphs we are sharing there might be bulking and cutting phases overlapping. This data is not going to prove or disprove the point at all.

Karolien | The Netherlands

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Esya,

Thanks for the data. It's quite helpful and gave me another idea.

Suppose a gym trainer knew about this research. A client complains that their percent body fat has been going up even though they have been losing weight. In other words, the client is in one of the points near the southeast corner. The unethical trainer might say, "you need to cut and bulk. Lose 10 pounds and have  can of this protein shake before every meal." 

The client follows the trainer's instruction and cuts and bulks. Give the starting point, there is maybe a 95% chance they will be successful. The client tells their friends and the friends all start drinking the protein shake.

One of the friends can't afford the protein shake, so they also cut and bulk when their body fat starts going up. They don't know anything about the research, but cutting and bulking after an increase in body fat will indicate they are in the south east corner. They are also successful. Drug research calls this the placebo effect. There has been a lot of research on trying to stimulate the placebo effect.

Someone else hears about cutting and bulking and randomly starts today. If they are at the top of the cloud, there is little chance they will succeed. After they try it, they declare it doesn't work and make posts (like this one) saying so. Then someone will recommend a protein shake before every meal. 

I was a little hard on @Corney, but the point is, it's more difficult to prove something than people think.

Best Answer
0 Votes