Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fatigue

So, i started a new job a couple of months back.

Since starting I have been way too fatigued, achy and tired in every way to want to run or do any extra exercise to lose weight and get fitter.

Does anyone have and suggestions on how to improve my energy levels and sleeping so I can get running again?

Thanks

Best Answer
0 Votes
4 REPLIES 4

Hi @Mrnace I understand your situation all to well. It's very easy with a new job to break your routine and then get caught in a negative cycle. My guess is you aren't sleeping as well as you used to, thus adding to the fatigue, which give you another reason to not move. However, movement is what your body needs to reduce stress and improve our sleep. Prior to this job did you have a daily routine which included walking or running? If yes, then try to find a way to schedule it back in, even if it's for a shorter period of time. Perhaps its first thing in the morning instead of at the end of the day. Try a few different options, but find a way to make movement a part of your daily routine again. 

Marci | Bellevue, WA
Best Answer

Welcome to the community, @Mrnace!

The first thing I’d ask is about your sleep: do you snore at night and do you suspect you may have sleep apnea? I know I snored heavily back before starting this fitness journey, which resulted in poor sleep quality, a sore throat every morning and daytime tiredness (I always needed to take a nap at around 5pm). All this disappeared in the first 4-5 months, after losing about 10 kg. If you think this could apply to you, maybe you should consider having your sleep analyzed and getting a CPAP machine if needed. On that subject, check this topic started by @SunsetRunner.

As to "running or exercising to lose weight", if weightloss is your primarily goal, you should focus on nutrition. You don’t need to run in order to lose weight, in fact, it’s probably not a good idea to run for the time being, if you’re carrying a lot of extra weight. Paying attention to your diet will have a much bigger impact on weight loss than exercising. Consider the benefits of exercising primarily from the point of view of your health and general fitness, and less as a way to lose weight.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

My job got very stressful and it caused me to lose sleep.  I slept 8 hours a night but was not getting REM sleep.  After 3 years of pain and suffering, I had a sleep study done.  They found I was not getting enough oxygen at night.  I got on CPAP and it literally changed my life back to my energizer bunny level of energy.  Don't chase your symptoms too long.  If sleep is causing your problems, GET HELP and GET BETTER.

Best Answer

with improved sleep and nutrition, the rest will fall in line. If your new job is not letting you shut down at night completely, you may want to invest in white noise machines or do some form of relaxation activity right before bed. If you may have a sleep disorder such as sleep apnea, you want to get that straightened out as soon as possible. invest in highly nutritious food, create a caloric deficit you can live with and measure and weigh your portions so you are sure you are within your caloric limits and start by walking at a fast pace until you start to feel yourself get stronger and stronger. you can then plan your next goal or milestone. invest the time to figure out what is really happening with your sleep and invest in your health with good food. 

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer