Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

getting the steps

ANSWERED

how can i recapture the steps when I ride a bike.  I have a back and neck issue right now and dr has told me not to walk or run for exercise.  Any suggestions

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

I don't think you can. I use distance and calories burned in that case.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
5 REPLIES 5

I don't think you can. I use distance and calories burned in that case.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Great, thanks for the formula. Can you then manually put the steps in like
you do you water?
Best Answer
0 Votes

@dbarger1423: just like if all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail, when you have a Fitbit, you may tend to see all physical activity through the prism of steps. However, many physical activities (including some that are definitely worth doing) are not step-based by their very nature. So why would you want to "convert" swimming, weight-lifting or any other non-step-based activity into something step-based? Just do the activities you enjoy doing and you feel benefit your fitness, your health, your well-being etc., regardless of whether or not they bring steps to the party. Steps are a handy way to gauge your level of activity on a daily/weekly/monthly basis, but they are not everything.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
Good word there. Appreciate that very much.

Thanks,

Doug
Best Answer
0 Votes

@dbarger1423, @Dominique

Many people focus on calories burned a day instead of steps.

If my main aerobic exercise was bicycle riding, I'd get a dedicated Bluetooth bicycling computer with GPS to track my aerobic training and use Fitbit for daily calories burned.

Since you have back and neck problems, I'll pass on a warning. Many people cause or aggravate back problems by pedaling too slowly. Somewhere about 70 RPM is the cutoff. The pressure on the pedals should be light.

If you have a steep hill, one technique for recreational riders is to get in the lowest gear and pedal as slowly as possible while using a light pressure on the pedals.

Best Answer
0 Votes