Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do people average 50000 steps per day?

ANSWERED

Who has the time to average 50,000 steps a day!? How can this be possible?

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
932 REPLIES 932

😛

to be honest, if it wasn't for the chatter etc and adding new friends for challenges, I'd have left long ago, plenty of other places to find fitbit friends, it is just that this place is the official place and has the most users as well as support

as for your low amount of steps

check that it is registering all your steps, it might not registering them all, if you are running the full 2 hours, then your steps per second is around 1.66 steps per second....unless of course you are a slow runner

not everyone has the same amount of free time

from google

How many steps does the average person take in a minute?

If you walk at a pace of 4 MPH, then you will take 15 minutes to walk one mile or 11/4 hours to walk 5 miles. If you walk 5 MPH (which is a jog for most folks), then it will take 12 minutes to walk one mile or 1 hour to walk 5 miles. Some websites equate walking 10,000 steps with only 30 minutes of walking.

The average number of steps required to walk/run a mile ranged from 1,064 steps for a 6-minute run in men to 2,310 steps for a 20-minute walk in women.

so according to google, on average, a woman will do approx 13860 steps in 2 hours walking at a pace of 1.9 steps per second

yet you are running and doing less steps

with regard to this thread, according to google, if 'you' walked for 7 hours throughout the whole day, you would do around 48510 steps

for an average male, 4 hours running would equate to 42560

we are talking about the average male/female here, so if someone were to say walk at the speed of 2 steps per second, it would take them just under 6 hours of the day to do 40k, now obviouosly it depends on how busy your life is, if you worked in an office sat down all day, and had to take the kids to work, clean and cook etc, then obviously it is going to be difficult to hit, but for someone who has all day free, it isn't hard, not everyone sits all day infront of the computer/tv
Best Answer
So I thought I had unsubscribed from this thread, but I've been inundated
with replies so I thought I'd respond.

I started a new job unloading trucks and stocking shelves last night. I was
on my feet for literally the entirety of my 8-hour shift. I eclipsed 30,000
steps for the first time since using my FitBit. I had nearly 10,000 steps
from running some errands and walking my dog the morning before work, so I
took about 22,000 more at work.

My feeling is this. Of course it's possible for obsessives to rack up 50k a
day by marching in place while watching TV. Does that burn many calories
though? Is racking up insane step totals really the point of owning a
FitBit, or is it to help you be more, you know, fit?

My FitBit said I burned 4300 calories yesterday. If I were to achieve
50,000 steps "my way", which is to say through the course of actual
strenuous physical activity, I'd be burning nearly 7000 calories. I'd have
to eat like a race horse or risk rendering myself completely exhausted.

I'd rather bust my butt for half the day, and find some time to relax and
actually enjoy friends and TV and the little thing,s than maniacally pace
around or try to type while on a treadmill or whatever else these Gold Star
Hall of Fame FitBit Champions are claiming to do. How you all stay fed is
the one thing I'll always wonder.
Best Answer
Thanks for the info, wytey. I was up at 3 am last night and didn't really look up the actual number of steps when I run. Stupid excuse, I know. But still, I learned a lot from your post. Yeah, 12,500 in 2 hrs is definitely not my running pace. I walk that about every other week, I guess. I'm not sure, but I think my profile shows my workouts. I do a mix of things, not just cardio. Anyway, I posted the number as a quick post. It feels like it's that small compared to people hitting 50,000 steps in a day. It just feels like it would literally take 5 hours of running for me to hit the same numbers. I understand people are different, but I'm always curious about how people achieve great feats. It's the same curiosity when someone in their 20s manage to be a millionaire, because I want to know if it's something I can do or improve on. I want to know if there's something other people are doing to make 50,000 steps a day consistently happen. I don't personally know anyone who hits that much everyday to ask them that question. It's only strangers who add me on fitbit and every time I ask them what they do to hit those high numbers, I get a wink or some other vague reply. So I googled it and it brought me here. Also, Lukedga has a great point. People doing those crazy numbers must burn a lot of calories. Wish I could burn that much.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes, I thought the objective of owning a fit bit was to give you feed back on your activities and to improve your health and fitness, not to feed into people's obsessive/compulsive behaviors and to do anything to win some artificial competition.

Best Answer

Right, I thought the objective of a forum is to have a discussion. Came here to seek info on how to improve my steps, not compete or obsess or whatever, but I can see why you'd think that.

Best Answer
0 Votes

glad you are healthy enough to burn most of the amount of calories during your 8 hour work shift

not all of us can

I am presuming that you are saying you burned 4300 calories from doing around 30k steps

do you not think that if we could burn that many amount of calories, or the amount of calories we need to burn to lose weight in a short amount of time we would?

the way that I am using my fitbit to exercise and burn calories is averaging around 1500-1700 calories burnt per day from doing around 40k steps, yes you read that right, albeit doing all those steps, I am only burning 1500-1700 calories, do you not think I would like to eat what I want instead of constantly checking calories because I can easily burn it off instead of limiting what I can eat, because I simply can not or do not have the time to exercise and burn off more calories, if I were to eat more, or rather what I want, then I would be in front of the tv the whole waking day

if I could burn 4300 calories in just 8 hours doing only 30000 steps, do you not think I would rather do that than do what I am doing now

do you not think I would rather be out shopping, playing with my nephews and neices, enjoying life etc than spend most of the day trying to burn off the calories to lose weight

I'm happy that all you people accusing myself and others of cheating and doing 'fake' steps because you can do 'real' steps, and I hope that one day that you do not have and accident or whatever that puts you into our shoes and have to do what you can to burn those calories, because if that was to happen, then you will realise how tough it is

to be honest, I'm sick of posts and accusations like this, my day to day life is enough of a struggle as it is without having to deal with people who think because they are fit enough to do the steps in a 'normal' manner and that people who do them in any way they can are cheating etc

yes, some people maybe cheating just to get those trophies, good for them, like you said that isn't what fitbit is about, but to group everyone into the same boat is just plain wrong

and I feel sorry for them having spent £50 or more just to show off

watch what you eat, watch out for cars etc, because it could well be you in a blink of an eye trying to burn those calories in anyway you can, for me, I went into work fit and healthy in the morning, and by the afternoon, I was in hospital ICU fighting for my life, because of some virus

not only is this my last post in this thread, but this forum

by not 'wasting' my time here trying to help other users and chatting, I am essentially giving myself a hour or 2 more spare to time to do what I want throughout the day

good luck to you all, and I hope you all meet your target weight, happy stepping and eating, just watch those calories

Best Answer

To more I am reading these " step discussion " the more I start to realize that people obviously haven't got a clue how many steps they actually walk in an hour.

Most people don't even look at their fitbit and claiming they are walking a huge amount of steps.. 

I didn't know we have this many navy seals on fitbit 🙂 Looks like everyone in this community is phsyical superior to navy seals fitness.

*sarcasm off * I don't believe in many peoples statistics on here. I am doing every kind of sports since I am a child, and a lot of statistics on here look like hogwash.

Best Answer

and how may steps are you doing averaging daily?

according to the NHS

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/loseweight/Pages/10000stepschallenge.aspx

The average person walks between 3,000 and 4,000 steps per day. To find out how many steps you take each day, buy a pedometer similar to the one in the video at the bottom of this page. Clip it firmly to your belt or waistband, and it will measure every step you take: around the house, across the office, window shopping, to school or the park. You might find that you walk almost 10,000 steps (about five miles a day) already, or that you walk less than you think. Whatever your results, knowing how far you can walk in a day will motivate you.

according to the first set of numbers, then pretty much everyone on this forum is according to you over estimating

as for the 10000 steps, which is the NHS recommended amount of steps, even then, the majority of users are over estimating

How many steps a person does is not just about how healthy they are, they need to be motivated, have the time amongst other things

as for Navy Seals, I know that the Americans are overweight, but come on 🙂 they are supposed to be the best of the best, but then again, the Americans do tend to over exagerate....

forget the Navy Seals, even normal army cadets go through tough training, so to say that someone were to walk 4 hours a day at an average pace, they would do roughly 30k steps and that is superior to a Navy Seal cadet, then they seriously need to up and toughen their training

the average seems to be around 25-30k going by those who have set their profile to public and searching around

I am 75 next month, and average around 15k, but I have grand children to look after, house to clean, cook, shopping etc, so for someone who is younger, more time on their hands etc they should/would be able to do more

how the 10k steps came about

http://www.10000stepsaustralia.com/Walking-Articles/Why-10000-Steps-a-Day

according to that, it came about back in the 60's

this is interesting, I wonder what the accuracy of the fitbit is

The Japanese government set an industrial standard that any pedometer sold in Japan must be accurate within 3% of actual steps taken.

a review of the Zip

http://www.amommystory.com/2013/01/how-many-steps-do-you-take-each-day-fitbit-zip-review.html

roughly in the middle

Tracking my steps has been an eye-opening experience. Not only has it shown me that I’m not walking enough, but it’s also helping me visualize just how much of a difference 10 minutes can make.

Seeing how low my numbers were, I decided to try walking just 10 minutes on the treadmill at 3.0 mph – which is slow enough for me to check my email and Facebook on my phone while I walked. I looked at my FitBit stats right after that and suddenly I had nearly 1000 steps more just from one 10 minute walk.

Anyone can find 10 minutes in the day, right? (And that’s 10 minutes that don’t even work up a sweat or require another 20 minutes to shower and change clothing!) I’m now squeezing in two 10 minute walks in-between work and kids and everything else in my life, and my stats are starting to look a lot better. I like the instant gratification of seeing my stats right after I make each small effort. It provides a mental reward to encourage me to find new ways to sneak more movement into my day.

Best Answer
0 Votes

About 5K per day

Best Answer
0 Votes

I agree, but they are only cheating themselves.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Sorry, last week I averaged 7500 steps and averaged burning 2100 calories.

Best Answer
0 Votes

They are cheating the entire community.

How can you properly compare with people if nearly everyone here pushes his steps and miles up using dogs or doing who knows what ?

Best Answer
0 Votes

so basically you are accusing nearly everyone here that does more than 10k of cheating because they are doing more than the average? which is the majority of the community

you say you averaged 7500

I suspect that you have a busy life and not much spare time etc, because to do that at  1.5 steps per second, that would only take just over 1.5 hours of walking each day

if someone were to jog/run at 3 steps per second for 2 hours each day, they would be averaging just over 21k per day

a website that may help those wanting to lose weight

https://www.fitnessblender.com/blog/how-many-extra-miles-do-you-need-to-walk-a-day-to-lose-weight

so to compare that to every and think every does the same hours, have the same spare hours as you is like saying for example anyone that gets more than 2 A's in their GCSE's is lying because you only got 1, you do not know how much effort or time they put into it

as for fake steps, what about those wearing wrist based fitbits and are in a wheel chair, are they cheating? because they are not real steps

so taking into consideration of the average walking pace, you are either lead a very busy life, thus have very little spare time or just lazy and prefer to spend your spare time in front of the computer/tv

as for clipping it onto a cat/dog just to win, that is upto them, they basically just wasted their money

7500k steps burning 2100 calories, I did just under 12k yesterday burning just over 2500 calories

so you are walking around 3.75 miles per day

so not only are your steps less than the average person or the recommended amount so is your miles walked per day

I am pretty sure that I am not the only one with people who has friends doing far more than 50k

anyway, the sun is out, grandchild is here, off for a walk around the park and then the supermarket instead of wasting my time here

Best Answer
0 Votes

you keep mentioning, as do others race pace

now according to you, race pace is around 2.77 steps per second

10000 steps/3600 seconds

lets take 100m strinters, lets say they do it in 10 seconds, that would mean 10 steps per second, which would be harder? for that same person to do it in 10 seconds, or to do it in 20 seconds doing 5 steps per second?

if that is race pace, then sorry, they need to exercise more as according to the NHS, the average walking pace is 2 steps per second

but I suspect that you mean race pace over a long distance without slowing down, afterall I very much doubt that those like say Linford Christie could keep up his pace for 1mile, why? because even though it is 10 steps per second, to do it for say 10 seconds is less strenous that keeping that pace up continously for 1 minute, but if he say did a 10 second run, then rested 20 seconds and then did 10 second run etc, it is very possible

for example, 10000 steps or 10k in 1 hour is far different and far less strenous than 10000 steps or 10k in 4 hours

different people have different health, stride length, distance etc

have you actually done or watched a marathon?

because it sounds like you haven't, and you are here just to cause trouble/argue

for a person to complete a marathon say in 4 hours doing say 30k steps is different than completing a marathon in 16 hours doing 30k steps with resting periods

yet they have both completed it doing the same amount of steps, is one cheating then? or did they simple take longer to complete it? just like those doing x amount to steps over the whole day compared to those doing the same amount of steps in an hour

which is the whole point here, 50k in 16 hours is easier than 50k in 4 hours

I do 41k over 16 hours, not 4 or even 8

all it means is that one is fitter than the other and/or that they have more or less spare time on their hands

why do you think that the difference in times between the person that finished first and last is so big?

as for fake steps, a few have mentioned under the desk steppers, are they fake steps too then?

so considering you write for a health/running magazine, I would have thought you knew all this already

need to unsubscribe so I am not tempted to reply.....

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm not sure where you come up with some of the statistics you recklessly throw around but the truth is, nobody in the world can do 10 steps in a second when at a full run, heck, nobody can even do 5.

The fact is world class distance runners average within a few percent of 180 strides per minute (3 per second), and world class sprinters, Usain Bolt for instance, races at about 210 strides per minute (3.5 per second).  The thing about Mr. Bolt is he has the highest step rate pretty much in history and the phenomena has been much discussed on running related web forums.

Clearly you want to disconnect steps from distance, but real steps require distance, and even though there is a wide range of step lengths within the range of human physiques, the range isn't anywhere near as you want to make out.  Said another way, if someone is doing 50,000 steps in a day and yet only moving two or three miles, most of those are fake steps.

Best Answer

The men's world record has been improved upon twelve times since electronic timing became mandatory in 1977. The current men's world record of 9.58 s is held by Usain Bolt of Jamaica, set at the 2009 World Athletics Championships final on 16 August 2009, breaking his own previous world record by 0.11 s.

so according to you that is fake

can he keep that pace for a marathon distance? no, I never said he or others can

Best Answer
0 Votes

from the British Heart Foundation, not a specific group of people from a running magazine etc

the average walking pace is according to the British Heart Foundation

For a person with excellent fitness, an approximate moderate walking pace:

• 15 minutes per mile (4 miles per hour)
  • 9 minutes per kilometre (6.4 kilometres per hour)

A fast walking pace or speed is:

• 12 minutes per mile (5 miles per hour)
  • 7.5 minutes per kilometre (8 kilometres per hour)

An average walking pace on country and forestry footpaths is:

• 20 minutes per mile (3 miles per hour)
  • 12 minutes per kilometre (5 kilometres per hour)
Best Answer
0 Votes
Best Answer
0 Votes

Come on man, use your brains...

The reference you posted shows not so much as a single scrap of information supporting your absurd claim of 10 strides per second.

I went back and checked my notes, I was incorrect, I said he was running about 3.5 strides per second, however, my memory is apparently faulty.  Per my notes his 9.58 second world record run was done in 41 steps; this works out to 2.44 meters per step and a cadence of 4.28 strides per second.

So, like I wrote earlier, there isn't an individual in the world who can muster 5 strides per second at a full run, much less 10.

Best Answer

wytey,

Those speeds are probably a bit fast for long distances. From the Roman armies to modern day armies, around 120 steps per minute at 3.5 mph has been found to be the most efficient pace. For longer distances, the stride rate drops to 116 steps per minute.

I think there are people who can average 50,000 steps a day. I'd never question anyone who does for fear of falsely accusing a person who is doing it. 

http://48statehike.blogspot.com
Best Answer