Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do people average 50000 steps per day?

ANSWERED

Who has the time to average 50,000 steps a day!? How can this be possible?

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
932 REPLIES 932
Oh it's easy to share. I could wear the device when I work out in the morning for say3-4 hours... Then pass it on to another person, who wears the device who then starts to workout.....then some people could easily make 30-50k per day easily.. Two people on one device.... Each person could even wear two fitbits (at the same time) Two different devices, two different accounts... Both parties benefiting by getting more steps..now this could happen!
Best Answer

But 2 different accounts are not going to add steps to the one account..... and you can not have 2 devices on one account. Even if you could, and you can't..... then when one person syncs it would override the other persons device anyway & they would both have the same amount of steps.

As for working our in stages..... really? How many steps do you think you would get if you were working out for 3-4hrs? In a gym you would not get many, treadmills dont give you many unless you double step (and if you have a flex or above then holding on would be needed & you wont get the steps anyway) and I could hardly see people running for 4hrs just to get less steps (stride is bigger when you run so less steps than in walking distance)

It's not possible to do it the way you have said... and what would be the point? They winning money? Prizes? No..... it's a virtual picture that says you won...... OMG call the cops.

I know I do my steps.... every single one of them. Every single day. Even when so sick I can hardly move I still get my goal. I'm no cheat, never have been. It seems like everyone else has thought of the ways you could..... perhaps you lot are the ones more likely to cheat then?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Bubblyi wrote:
I find it pretty interesting that people do cheat! Every since the challenges have been introduced, certain people in my friend group have now started averaging 25k-30k steps per day. Before the challenges, they seldom walked over 10k per day. I use my Fitbit for health and it encourages me. I don't join the challenges because I'm doing me. I want to do it for my body. That's the incentive I need. Seeing a few people who now average over three times their previous accomplishments, astounds me. I can't help but think that they are sharing devices. It's shameful that they have to resort to this measure to win!

Well said, Bubblyi !!  I agree.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Bubblyi wrote:
Oh it's easy to share. I could wear the device when I work out in the morning for say3-4 hours... Then pass it on to another person, who wears the device who then starts to workout.....then some people could easily make 30-50k per day easily.. Two people on one device.... Each person could even wear two fitbits (at the same time) Two different devices, two different accounts... Both parties benefiting by getting more steps..now this could happen!

Exactly correct, Bubblyi. They can do the same with their Garmin Vivofit as well.  Some people, I think, are emotionally unbalanced - perhaps mentally ill and it becomes an obsession with them to be "NUMBER 1" on an electronic leaderboard on a website. I'm starting to feel a bit sorry for them  .. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
some people like yourself seem fixated on calling people cheaters...

yet, you did 44059 steps on 31 January 2015
your best was 23.09 miles and 225 floors on 27 July 2012, I guess that was hiking up a mountain or something?

however, looking at your activity, on most days you have nothing logged or you are doing under what health professionals recommend daily 10k

now presuming you know what average means, I highly doubt you are doing 26k everyday, so that means you yourself are doing over your so called fishy 28k on alot of days to make up for those days that you are only walking well under 10k

as for some people being mentally ill, unbalanced etc, this is supposed to be a friendly forum, for people to support each other, yet those that accuse others of cheating? look at their post history, you will find that the majority if not all their posts are fixated on calling other members a cheat, kind of like they live a sad life, and get a buzz from accusing others of cheating and lying

re steps

15 minutes to walk from home to bus stop and then to work
15 minutes to walk from work to town for lunch
15 minutes to walk from town back to work
15 minutes to walk from work to bus stop then home

at the average 100 steps per minute, that is 6000 steps right there

then add the walking about, cleaning up, cooking etc and 10k is not that hard to hit, granted, if you drive, and/or work is close by then those figures will be lower

that is presuming you work in an office sat down all day, if you work on your feet, then obviously it will be higher

now lets take a retired/out of work person, in relatively good health that exercises

30 minute jog in the morning 4500 steps
30 minute jog in the evening 4500 steps

that is 9000 steps, add the walking about, cleaning up, cooking etc, maybe walk to the newsagents, supermarket shopping etc 20-30k is not that hard

granted, what I said above is not for everyone, but then again, I am not the one calling people cheaters/lairs etc and presuming everyone has the same lifestyle etc

yes, I know the thread is about those that average 50k, and it has deviated from that
Best Answer

Hey there guys! Sorry to be the odd one on this thread but this is to remind you all to keep this thread courteous and conversational. 

Let's remember Rule #1 of our Community Guidelines

Be considerate. We all want to share a positive experience in the Fitbit Community Forums. Please be polite and respectful in your interactions with other members. Your opinions are always welcome, but personal insults and harassment ("flaming") in either the Community Forums or through private messaging are not acceptable.

@_daniel_ @SunsetRunner @prc1977 @papamick @Bubblyi @PinkRayneDrop 

Let me know if you have any questions. 

Fitbit Community ModeratorHelena A. | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was this helpful? Yay! If it was, please vote for it or mark this as a solution. Show us!

Best Answer

Am I the only person who does find it feasible to get 50K steps per day?

I teach and I am almost at 10K steps per day without even trying and I feel like I don't walk that much (really it's mostly from pacing the classroom).

With that being said and now knowing my step trends I have no doubt in my mind that most days in college I probably did 30-50K steps per day because I walked a mile to and a mile back from every class, sometimes had 3-4 classes a day, not counting average every day wandering the house, going out at night, etc. 

This is probably why I've gained 20 lbs since college dropped, because I'm not walking an obscene amount of miles per day. 

Ariel
Best Answer

wow you walk a LOT!!! i wish i walked that much. I personaly have a desk job and imstead of eating lunch on my break I go for a walk. I am lucky to get in 6k steps a day. that i am sure is why i have all the extra weight to lose.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'll bet that we can all agree that cheating is possible even if it is pointless. The people who get mean and accuse other of cheatings are likely just annoyed because they have had their fitbit experience damaged by cheaters. It happens all the time and there are weird people everywhere but so what? For every person who gets beligerant because they walk in place/walk ten hours a day faster than runners/ run two marathons no problem etc. there are dozens who are great people who do it right. And some of them get 50K or 75k a day. How cool is that?

Is it possible to get 50,000 steps every day for weeks? Sure. Is it easy? Of course not.There are some amazing people out there that do amazing things and I find inspiration in them and they make me want to try harder. Whenever I come across someone who gets defensive and tries to convince the world that - no, really, they're awesome, I just take it for what it is. The real big time 99.9999 percentile people are just out there walking or running and they are terrific.

Think of it this way, if someone said you could get five dollars for every step for the next week, each one of us would be 50k+ each day. It is a matter of time and effort and desire....

Whatever you do (honestly) you ought to be proud and if you're up to it ( I should be) try harder tomorrow!

Best Answer

first of all.....im not fixated on people cheating........i just find it odd that after 1-2 years a person who has averaged 6-7k per day now happens to average over 30k steps a day! i mean EVERY day! i walk to maintain my health...but some days.....ya just need an off day!  and why are YOU even looking at my stats?  first of all ......you have it wrong.....i have NEVER gone 44k steps in one day. that day (my birthday- was only 11323)....... and my best day? that was me walking in the airport where i worked for about 10K and then i had to renew my customs badge so i had to walk from the hangar to the customs office....no hill walking there.. this is a friendly discussion for support...you seem to think that everyone in this world is honest when we both know they are not! people can be competitive no matter what and some want to win no matter the costs. how can anyone be supportive when there is always the cheating factor involved. when some just want to make others feel less? thats not supportive!!  i find it pretty annoying that you are even looking so deep into my profile....its pretty creepy!  i dont want to know what you walk or how you do it...its none of my business....you are not in my circle of friends.....nor do i care!  my laziest day was under 1000 steps!   my average day is hopefully 10k....thats what i consider my average...& if i achieve it....i am definitely happy!  if i just walk and do my chores at home....i would average a LOT less than 2000 steps...i guess my home is just not that large! lol...... so sorry that you think seem fixated on people with an opinion other than yours.......some people do cheat....its honestly happens like that.......& yes i am friendly talking about it! its life !

Best Answer
0 Votes

the two different accounts are for each of the walkers........separate......as they BOTH want to get the highest step counts!  i know there are people who are able to do this.....but sometimes...when people come out of the BLUE and change their behavior.......it sometimes becomes obvious!

Best Answer
0 Votes

wow!! congrats to  you ariel ! you make us all proud....& you are one of the ones that we all want to be like.... i come from a family of teaching professionals...so i do know how hard you work....(& walk).  in my college days i walked alot also.....but i wouldnt say it was 10K a day.....   in this day and age.......most of us use our cars for our errands....i have a grocery near me......& yes i could walk to it.....but i dont.... i work at an airport......and it seems like i would do a lot of walking.....but if i just do my regular time.....it usually comes out to 6500 steps.....so i usually walk from my hangar to the airport....from end to end.... that usually gets me my steps......and walking among the passengers.....i seem to walk faster.....so it helps...at work i always get my floors......today it seems i walked 34 floors!!!  but thats going up jet bridges to the planes....i work as an airline mechanic...much of my work is done in contorted situations!  God bless 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Bubblyi wrote:

the two different accounts are for each of the walkers........separate......as they BOTH want to get the highest step counts!  i know there are people who are able to do this.....but sometimes...when people come out of the BLUE and change their behavior.......it sometimes becomes obvious!

You can't have the one device for 2 accounts. When you add a device to your account it wipes out any association with any other account & actually wipes the fitbit stats clean. So that would never be possible. You know NOBODY who is able to do this because it simply does not work like that or that would mean my husband would have my stats on his account as I gave my older Fitbit One to him.... and he does not have any of mine on his....... or it would be the other way around & his 10k a day would be all mine would log... but it is not because I meet my 30k goal each day.

You don't know anyone who does it and that's just kinda proven you are lying about it. That's more sad than anyone who would cheat....

Best Answer
0 Votes

See that's the thing also..... I don't have a car...I've never driven one in my 40yrs of being alive.... I know I would be a danger on the roads. So I walk everywhere. My husband does not drive, my 21yo son does not drive.... we don't own a car & while they catch public transport I however due to my injury can't and wont. So for me walking IS my life, it's the only way to stop pain...... but I guess I must be cheating because I get high numbers each & every day?

Stop being so focused on other people..... YOU are the only one making yourself feel like less ...not anyone else. I wonder how you think you have made people like me feel when you call us cheaters.... when anyone calls us cheaters. Talk about trying to bring people down because you either cant or wont do more. I'm jealous that I can't yet run a marathon..... but no way in hell I am going to call anyone who can a cheater or think less of them because they can. You have made people feel like crap.... a few of you in this topic have.... simply because they have the motivation to do more? How do you feel now huh? Hopefully as low as you made others feel.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I looked because you only had 2 posts to your name at the time, both in this thread, just like others, most of their posts are in this thread calling people cheaters/accusing people of cheating because they do more steps than them

you say some people only did 6-7k then upped it to 30k+, which means you must have looked at their stats...

just because someone upped their steps doesn't really mean anything, lifestyle changes, like being in a job and then being jobless for example, changes in health, a change in job roles etc, the fact is, all you see is that they have increased their steps, you know nothing about why, how or their circumstances, granted, some maybe cheating just to get those imaginary badges etc

I know for a fact that my steps are legit, and I am doing them due to health reasons, when your doctor, nurse etc say you need to do more steps and you know you have the time etc to do more steps, are you going to ignore them? when I came out of a coma years ago, the nurses would walk with me, or rather forced me to walk, to start with I was only doing very little, but by the time I left, I was doing around 6k over the course of the day, bearing in mind that because I was in a coma my muscles have become weak etc

this is suppose to be a friendly forum, accusing people of cheating is not what I call being friendly, especially when how many steps I do for example makes no impact on you, as you are not on my friend list

how would you feel if people started calling you a lazy ***** because you are doing less than what the health professionals recommend we do every day, which is a minimum of 10k, you wouldn't like it would you?

at the end of the day, what I do or others who are not on your list do, if you think they are cheating then just ignore them, why post accusing them of cheating when you know that it is going to cause an arguement, other than you are purposedly doing it to cause an arguement, if they are on your friend list, the unfriend them, simple as that

cheaters will always be around, it is a fact of life, unlike some, I choose to ignore them

the fact that some post calling them cheaters because it upsets the list etc is just as bad as the cheaters cheating to become top, because they are being robbed of the chance to be top, I couldn't give a **ahem** whether I am top or bottom of an online list, or what others do, I got fitbit to get back into shape, what matters to me is that I get back into shape
Best Answer
there is a group which people are aiming to do 10 million steps in 2015, that averages just under 27.5k per day, are they all going to be cheaters then?
Best Answer
here are my stats

5k 53 times
10k 42 times
15k 30 times
20k 23 times
25k 9 times
30k 6 times
35k 3 times
40k 2 times
45k 0 times
50k 0 times

I joined on 9th December 2014

anyway, this is my last post on this matter or any other threads like this, I could not give a hoot what others think, I know I am legit, if it makes people feel good to call others cheaters then so be it, none of my concern anymore, I am here to lose weight and help others not get into an arguement or accuse other people

goodbye and have a nice day, even though the weather is crap and cold
Best Answer

PRayneDrop:

I know you and bubbly are tangling aout this and maybe I should keep my nose out of it but here's what she was saying and it isn't lying:  Two people. Two fitbits. Two accounts. First person takes both fitbits for a jog. Gets home. Gives both fitbits to someomeone else who goes for a jog. Both people get credit for both runs when they each did one. Each one syncs into his/her own account. Since both fitbits went on both runs, both are cheating. Simple.

Hope that helps.

Best Answer

@prc1977 wrote:

PRayneDrop:

I know you and bubbly are tangling aout this and maybe I should keep my nose out of it but here's what she was saying and it isn't lying:  Two people. Two fitbits. Two accounts. First person takes both fitbits for a jog. Gets home. Gives both fitbits to someomeone else who goes for a jog. Both people get credit for both runs when they each did one. Each one syncs into his/her own account. Since both fitbits went on both runs, both are cheating. Simple.

Hope that helps.

But you do know you get LESS steps in a jog/run right? If I walk 2.5km I get 3000+ steps.... I have to run 5km to get the same amount.

Bubbly was saying 2 devices one account. I can read that part clear as day.

Even than all that 2 devices 2 people crap..... so when the other person is out jogging.....is the other person just sitting still for the whole time not gaining a step just in case it is not counted?

I'm in a challenge and one person who had only ever done 15k yesterday outdid themself and did 80k...... challenges don't allow you to cheat via putting it in & this person would have been going at it all day, so giving the device to someoen else would make no sense considering that would mean less time doing steps.

Best Answer
0 Votes

P RayneDrop:

I have been thinking about your idea that jogging nets fewer steps than walking. For me it isn't the case as I tend to get tired jogging and I shuffle more so the steps get shorter and there are more per mile. But for you, you have to go twice as far jogging to net the same number of steps and I wonder about that. Since jogging, by definition, is somewhere between walking and running, it follows that a person might take bigger strides and that would net fewer steps. Still, doubling your walking stride seems unlikely especially since you walk faster than many runners and are well-conditioned (ten hours a day etc.). I don't doubt you and I am not accusing you of anything, I only wonder how that is possible. What do you think?

It is beside the point though, since cheating is cheating whether a person walks or jogs. If it helps, in the scenario I mentioned before we can change the two people to be walking instead of jogging and they are both still successfully cheating their step counts. 

Best Answer