Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i think im an addict

ANSWERED
So i came across this article and after reading i may have just come to the conclusion that i have a problem and need to do some serious health analysis. Heres the link to the article
http://www.womenshealthmag.com/health/dangers-of-sugar?cid=socHE_20140713_27713086
And heres why i say i have a problem.... so i am really trying to loose some more weight especially since i am starting college in september and i was 19 days doing good eating and exercising i felt great and was starting to feel better about myself. My goal was to reach 21 days of keeping up with good eating and exercise and at day 19 i dont know what happened. Me and my mom made it a movie night amd i decided to devour everything. And i ate oreos, icecream, cheese doddles and barbeque chips, amd pizza. Afterwards i felt disgusted and extremly bloated. All my hard work at the gym this week was put to waste and i do my weigh ins on sunday and im afraid to look at the scale. I am so dissapointed at myself cuz i was doing so good. I read somewhere thatit takes 21 days to brake a habbit and i couldnt do it! I legit think i have a problem with sugary junk food and i dont know what to do. I feel gross and i really want to change. Threwout these days i felt confident i dont know what triggered me to eat or where i went wrong. Im just so mad at myself. Sometimes i feel like i can never stay true to myself when it comes to goals. Im so sick of this. Im going to the gym tomorrow morning to start over but now i want to start over with a 21 day health promise to myself, but i actually want to do it this time. How can i stay true to myself? How do you gius get your will power? Im not giving up i refuse to.This so called addiction to junk food i have will end. Heres to day 1 all over again. I feel like im running in circles.
Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@FatalStephy  What an article you shared with us. It makes sense that we're addicted to all sorts of things and sugar is just one more that hurts us.

Do you log your food? I write down what I eat, when I eat it and how I'm feeling. This is something I do in a little notebook, although I've also logged on the Fitbit dashboard. This helps me see how much I've eaten or if what I'm eating is due to my mood. It becomes second nature to log my food and know how I'm feeling. Often I won't eat something after asking myself - am I hungry or bored or stressed?

You can do this. I know you want to be prepared for college and worrying about your weight is adding more stress to the situation.

Consider your female cycle. If you're in the pms mode, you may want to eat anything not glued down. You just need to be more aware of what time of the month it is and if you need to eat or just need to think before you eat.

Don't be so hard on yourself. No one is perfect. We all fail. What will make you different is you know when you fall that you can pick yourself up, knowing tomorrow will be a better day. It isn't easy. Nothing in life worth having is ever easy, is it?

Remember how you feel after movie night and how you never want to feel like that again. Think about each bite of food you put into your mouth. Don't forget you want to have good things going into your body so you can have strength enough for your studies.

Don't be so hard on yourself. Use that anger at yourself to get back on track. Do it for yourself.

I know you can do this.

Stepping in the U.S.A. since September 2013. Android 14

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
8 REPLIES 8

@FatalStephy  What an article you shared with us. It makes sense that we're addicted to all sorts of things and sugar is just one more that hurts us.

Do you log your food? I write down what I eat, when I eat it and how I'm feeling. This is something I do in a little notebook, although I've also logged on the Fitbit dashboard. This helps me see how much I've eaten or if what I'm eating is due to my mood. It becomes second nature to log my food and know how I'm feeling. Often I won't eat something after asking myself - am I hungry or bored or stressed?

You can do this. I know you want to be prepared for college and worrying about your weight is adding more stress to the situation.

Consider your female cycle. If you're in the pms mode, you may want to eat anything not glued down. You just need to be more aware of what time of the month it is and if you need to eat or just need to think before you eat.

Don't be so hard on yourself. No one is perfect. We all fail. What will make you different is you know when you fall that you can pick yourself up, knowing tomorrow will be a better day. It isn't easy. Nothing in life worth having is ever easy, is it?

Remember how you feel after movie night and how you never want to feel like that again. Think about each bite of food you put into your mouth. Don't forget you want to have good things going into your body so you can have strength enough for your studies.

Don't be so hard on yourself. Use that anger at yourself to get back on track. Do it for yourself.

I know you can do this.

Stepping in the U.S.A. since September 2013. Android 14

Best Answer

I think I'm addicted to my FitBit. LOL. Cat Wink

Sorry, I don't mean to make light of your posts. I think more of us deal with some sort of food addiction then we realize. Sugar and salt are the worst.  These two things can wreck havoc on our diet and our health. Even if you are eating a lot of vegetables and cutting back on high-fat foods, or trying to do the protein thing -- what shatters positive results is the salt and sugar levels in the "healthy" food we are eating.  Processed food is full of it.  You can tell your body is withdrawing from sugar or caffine or salt when you are having headaches and stuff.

Eventually, I have no doubt you can feel good when curbing these substances, but most Americans have enough of these substances in our body to be toxic.  And detoxing is not a good, happy feeling. . . and reverting back after starting a good health plan, does feel twice as bad, because if you have been doing the healthy thing a while you begin to realize how bad you didn't know you felt eating the junk . . . and slipping off, and feeling bad again, actually makes us feel sicker. . . nevermind the emotional and self-esteem issues. The body is more heightened to the fact that food can make us healthy or it can really make us sick.  I'm learning this. . . always.  

Best Answer
0 Votes
@ jeanK731,
You know at first i was reluctant to make posts about my thoughts and weight loss and how i felt. I thought no ome would read it and no one would care because i mean where all kinda strangers. But your response makes me happy that i did post this. I know i messed up and of course im not happy about it but im nit throwing in the towel. I went on the scale for my regular sunday morning weigh in and not to my surprise, i gained 3 pounds. I was dissappinted at myself but despite tht i went to the gym today and killed myself. Thanks si much for the encouragemt
Best Answer

We all fall. The important thing is not to stay down for long.  Just get back up and dust yourself off and get started again.  I've oftentimes didn't keep my fall to a weekend or a day or two, but have wallowed around in my bad habits too long and then have had the pain of restarting.  At least you are picking yourself back up.  You are doing great!  Keep on keeping on!!! Smiley Happy

Best Answer
Thank you so much for the support and encouragement. This is what i needed. I really appreciate it. 🙂 and best of luck to you and your fitnesss goals
Best Answer
0 Votes

Honestly, I threw away my scale. It's a crutch that I obsessed over and making sure that I was losing and not gaining. I base my progress on how my clothes fit. Since I do go to the gym often and I do weight/ strength training and I am also a black belt in taekwondo . I also know that muscle weighs more than fat and can cause the scale to go up. So do yourself a favor and hide the scale.

Good luck to you and happy fitbiting.

Best Answer

OK so you fell off the tracks and your feeling really crappy If you stay on this comfort zone you will get bigger and bigger, your self-esteem will keep falling and you will probably end up staying home and isolating. Or you can get right back on the right track, even if it's imbarrassing or you feel uncomfortable doing the right thing, for yourself. you see you cannot change with out feeling uncomfortable, but every time you do something that is uncomfortable pat yourself on the back and feel a little more confident about you. It's your choice do you want the happy and changing for the good life, or do you want the unhappy low self-esteem life that will continue to get worse. It's up to you.

Hope you make the right choice,

Spike

Best Answer

@FatalStephy

We can all be mad at ourselves, but how about getting mad that our tax dollars are spent subsidizing the sugar industry by billions of dollars each year. Who decided that that is an acceptable way to spent our hard-earned money? See the American documentary "Fed Up" on Netflix, it will energize you and yield an extra 10,000 steps! There is nothing like finding something to be upset about that will generate a lot of steps. Robert Lustig in your article is the doctor, who said that there is a world epidemic of obese 6 month old babies and for good reasons they cannot exercise their way out of their obesity. The surroundings have to change. As adults we can take our cues from the 6 month old babies and try to change the surroundings.

Best Answer
0 Votes