Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

leg cramps

I keep having intense leg cramps. How do I prevent this?

Best Answer
0 Votes
9 REPLIES 9

First thing that comes to my mind is - stretch - before, after, and every chance you get

Good luck

Marking your question "solved" lets others know that they may find an answer to a question they have in this thread
Best Answer

It depends on the cause.....It could be from dehydration, from using muscles that are not used to being used etc.  

I would stretch like the previous poster suggested and I would also drink a lot of water...But there could be another cause like your shoes. 

Best Answer

I agree that the leg cramps could be due to lack of fluids, besides water drink something like Gatorade or Powerade. If you are sweating too much and not replenishing the electrolytes it could cause leg cramps.

Best Answer

Looking at your profile, it appears you are starting from a point that is quite sedentary. Perhaps you aren't wearing the Fitbit all the time. Leg cramps will be normal in this situation. All I can offer is to keep the exercise at a level below that which causes leg cramps. Increase the exercise slowly as your legs allow you to.

The Fitbit is wonderful for sedentary people as they have a warning when they are increasing the amount of exercise too quickly. Try to think in terms of getting to 10,000 steps in a year rather than getting there quickly.

Take your time making progress and in a year you will have a success story to tell.

http://48statehike.blogspot.com
Best Answer
0 Votes

Check to make sure you are properly hydrated, as suggested.  Check to make sure that you are wearing shoes that are appropriate to your needs (I have flat feet and pronation, so I need a firm, non-rolly shoe otherwise I am toast).  Also check to see if you are getting enough magnesium & potassium.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Also consider eating more food with potassium.  Potassium helps to prevent muscle cramps.

Lew Wagner
Author of Losing It - My Weight Loss Odyssey
Do or do not, there is no try - Yoda
Best Answer
0 Votes
I use leg cramp over the counter pills. I put them in my bra so every time I get a cramp I let two resolve in my mouth. Very painful. As you increase your exercise it will eventually go away. Use Gatorade, tonic water with quinine. I totally understand
Best Answer
0 Votes

try eating a half of a banana with a full glass of water before working out. Your body won't absorb potassium it doesn't need so there is no danger of experimenting if you might be low in this nutrient. And stretch. If you are not sure what stretches you should be doing based on your workout, there are tons of articles out there to help you. just check the source so you are not getting info from an unreliable source.

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer
I usually get my leg cramps after I'm in bed asleep
Best Answer
0 Votes