Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

waterproof swimming headphones mp3

Hi, Is anyone using any waterproof mp3 headphones while swimming. The bluetooth doesn't work great in water, so wondering if anyone is using any earbuds or headphones with an mp3 player. I am looking to buy one. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
6 REPLIES 6

@AjayThacker I'm using Shokz OpenSwim. These are bone conductive but work very well underwater. They don't have bluetooth at all. Only file storage but I usually put one or two podcasts on so it works for me.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks @Triletics . I'll look into that one. I tried Hamuti bone conduction mp3 file storage headphones but didn't like the sound on it. 

Best Answer

@AjayThacker previously I tried to spend less and got Aztine bone conduction headphones (hybrid, storage + BT) but the quality was horrible and they were hardly bone conduction device. It's rather regular speakers enclosed in something pretending to be bone conduction unit. Might be you tried something similar. OpenSwim sounds totally different from Aztine. It's proper bone conduction and sound quality underwater is very good, too (it has a setting swim/normal).

Best Answer

Yes @Triletics mine were the hybrid (mp3 and Bluetooth). I thought all bone conduction ones were of that poor quality so started looking for in ear buds. But thanks for your recommendation of the Shokz open swim. Will try that one. Appreciate you sharing your experience and recommendation. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@AjayThacker I tried earbuds, too but found a different problem. Earbuds work like regular headphones and use air (or any other environment you'll put it into) as a medium when transferring sound. This results in a very annoying sound change when earbuds go in/out of the water and I found it particularly irritating when I was breathing on one side during freestyle so one ear was out of the water, and the other was submerged. Also, changing the pressure inside the ear will affect the way the audio sounds. Bone conduction headphones work differently as they don't transfer sound through air/water so change of medium isn't affecting sound that much. However, bone conduction won't provide great sound quality when it comes to music as ears are open so other sounds come in, too. I use bone-conduction headphones for other activities, too, due to safety (and many race organizers banned regular headphones for the same reasons), so I got used to how it sounds. I rarely listen to music on BC but rather podcasts or audiobooks. It depends on your swimming technique, if you do it keeping your head mainly above the water then earbuds may work for you (they would also serve as earplugs) but if you swim proper ie. freestyle or breaststroke when ears go underwater then BC is a better solution. The sound may not be at "audiophile level" but would be consistent regardless of being above/under water.

Best Answer

Very interesting about the earbuds with freestyle swim. I never thought of that. That makes so much sense. Thanks so much for the detailed explanation. I was looking mainly for music while swimming, so BC won't provide great sound quality either while swimming. But as you mentioned, I can use it for other activities as well. I learned a lot from your answers. Appreciate it. 

Best Answer
0 Votes