Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Acid reflux issues need advice on eating right

Hello everyone,

I need some advice. I have acid reflex issues really bad. I have seen my doctor and am taking medication for it. I have been told I need to change my diet. I have been trying to watch what I eat but have been struggling trying to find things to eat that are good to eat for people who have bad acid reflex issues. I was wondering if anyone who has acid reflex like I do could possibly give me any advice on what you eat that won't cause your acid reflex to flair up. Thanks in advance for your help. many blessings to all. Keep pushing play.

Best Answer
0 Votes
5 REPLIES 5

Hello and welcome to the forums @Klehman1 

My husband has acid reflux and is taking prescribed meds. A daily probiotic helps put the good bacteria into his intestinal trac and makes a difference, especially when he's eaten poorly. Papaya enzyme tablets help when he isn't sure about something he ate. He will eat spicy foods, when he knows it isn't the best for him.

You'll learn what works best for you and a food diary can help. Write down what you eat, where you got it (restaurant or home cooked) and if there is a reaction (queasy stomach, diarrhea, heartburn, etc) and you'll seen see what triggers it. Elevating your head while sleeping actually makes a difference. It seems to keep the acid from creeping up into the esophagus.

Avoid onions and green peppers and anything spicy. You will learn as you go along and the fact that you're facing it head on is in your favor. You can do this, but be patient. It took time for you to develop your eating habits, so it will also take time for you to learn the good ones.

Glad you're with us.

Stepping in the U.S.A. since September 2013. Android 14

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Klehman1 .. everyone is different when it comes to food triggers. there are some basics that I am sure you are aware of that usually create a flare up.. spicy, sour or fatty. Those are ones you definitely want to stay away from. If you really want to test out what hurts and what works, you have to start from scratch.. literally. No prepackaged or not home prepared meals. meals you prepare are bland and limited to a few things at each meal. Keep track of what works and what doesn't and slowly add food items and flavorings back in until you have a diet rich in variety. you won't know till you test it. 

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer

Thank you both for your advice. I have really been trying to watch what I am eating. So far I have found that eating low carb and watching my portions seems to help. Worried about going on vacation this fall and eating out every night. It's going to be a struggle to find food that won't flair me up bad. 

Best Answer

Did you guys suffer from upper back pain and pain around the collar bone?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I know a lot of people say to avoid spicy foods when it comes to acid reflux.  That might help in the short term, but not sure it is a good way to spend the rest of your life.  In my experience (and that is all that this...your symptoms, treatment, and experience may be different) it wasn't until I eliminated highly refined carbohydrates (white bread, sugar, almost anything in a box, ie crackers, cereal, etc) that my acid reflux went away.  It didn't go away overnight though.  It took me a few months when I started eating low carb to get rid of my acid reflux.  During this time of transition I still took Nexium, but was able to reduce how often I took the medication.  Eventually all was well. 

I will say that it is possible that being cured of acid reflux may have been a result of me losing weight also.  The reason I went on low carb was because I was heavy (6'3" and 330 pounds).  I lost a total of 70 pounds, but the acid reflux went away about the time I lost 45-50 pounds.

So take what you will from this.  But a lot of my experiences (and some things I have read) contribute acid reflux to a diet high in refined carbs.

I wish you the best in your journey!

Don

Best Answer
0 Votes