Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice for healthy eating/snacking for Gout suffer.

My last post was swallowed by a spam filter, so hoping this one won't be.

I'm a 39-year-old man, that suffers from odd Gout attack, and have back issues. I've been struggling to lose weight and would like to lose at least 2stone before July.

Due both issues I have with my back and a daily 3hr commute, I find it incredibly difficult to exercise.  So most of my effort has been centered around calorie counting and what I eat/snack on, but i've not been having much like, so seeking some advice . 

TLDR Version with background information:

I've been wanting to lose some weight and eat healthier (i wouldn't say I eat unhealthily but can always be better), but instead of losing weight I seem to be slowly gaining.  I have several issues that don't help the situation;

1. I'm a project manager/producer, to tied to my desk and meeting rooms for 8-10hr a day and on top of that have a 3hr daily commute from home to work and back.  So I'm up at 06:00 in the morning and not back home to the family until between 19:00 and 20:30 most days. 

2. I have issues with my lower/mid-back and left knee, meaning exercise can be difficult and painful (which isn't helped by the weight).

3. I also suffer from the odd Gout attack, maybe once or twice a year (not due to rich food or alcohol - inherited from a long line of sufferers in the family).

With the time I'm getting up and then getting home I'm generally skipping breakfast (a habit I'm trying to break) and eating dinner late. I'm trying to get some exercise in, by swimming or cycling at the weekends when family commitments allow. 

I'm looking for suggestions/advice on:

• Quick and healthy breakfasts, that I could eat before or when I get to work
  • Snacks that I can have during the day
  • Healthy, light and filling meals the I could have in the evening (so not going to bed on a full stomach). 
  • Any suggestions on meals for Gout sufferers also welcome. 
Best Answer
0 Votes
2 REPLIES 2

Hi,

My husband suffers from gout, You want to eat a low purine diet and avoid sugar and unfortunately beer. He takes Tart cherry capsules usually keeps his gout in check, but around the holidays he falls off the wagon so to speak and gains some weight,  so he also drinks Tart Cherry Juice along with following a low purine diet. It helps reduce the uric acid, which lessens the inflammation.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks @Be50Gone 

Already do the cherry juice and fruit 🙂 but i love cherries. what I'm struggling with is finding healthy meals and lunches that are low purine and aren't boring lol. 

Update:

Sorry I didn't really have time to respond to this properly over the weekend.  As I said above cherries and cherry juice are already part of my routine.  But if you have any suggestions or recipes that you would recommend it would be greatly appreciated. 

When reviewing this purine table here https://elevatehealthaz.com/wp-content/Purine%20Table.pdf I eat mostly from Group B and Group A.  I dont eat lots of red meat (Steak or Beef Mince - but oh i do like a nice steak), I'd say meat wise it's mostly Chicken and Heck sausages 

Best Answer
0 Votes