Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Impossible Burger?

I just came across the Impossible Burger, which was recently given the green light by the FDA.

For anyone that isn't familiar, the Impossible Burger imitates real meat, with a key component (the one just given the blessing of the FDA) mimicking the juiciness of a real patty. It's claimed they have the texture and taste of a real meat patty. Apparently both meat eaters and non-meat eaters sing its praise.

I'm a meat eater but still very interested to try one and see if it lives up to the hype, as I'm skeptical it could ever live up to the real thing. It turns out they're pretty available, places like Walburger and even White Castle sell Impossible Burgers. 

Has anyone here tried one before, what are you thoughts on the Impossible Burger?

Best Answer
0 Votes
10 REPLIES 10

It's over 50% fat with most of it being saturated fat. It has 435 mg of salt, which is way too much for 220 calories. It has no fiber. 

There has been no testing to see if the product is safe. 

Good luck if you eat it. 

Best Answer

I tried it at a local restaurant. It wasn't bad, but then ketchup and mustard cover a lot of sins. And as Gershon pointed out, it has a lot of sat fat and no fiber. I just checked the website for confirmation. The good thing is that it has no cholesterol, but that just might be the only advantage, nutrition wise. 

Ethically speaking, I encourage people to go for the plant-based option, but you probably have something else in mind. That said, if you're looking for to reduce your meat consumption, there are better veggie burgers out there, nutritionally speaking, than the Impossible Burger. Both Beyond Burger and Gardein's Beefless Burger both have less sat fat (Gardein has none) and a small amount of fiber.

Also keep in mind that any processed food probably isn't going to be the greatest for fiber, even the veggie stuff. So load up your burger with LTO, have ketchup and mustard instead of mayo and maybe have a salad with it.

Best Answer

@DanielleinDC wrote:

The good thing is that it has no cholesterol

Dietary cholesterol and blood cholesterol are two different things. Here are a few excerpts from Harvard School of Public Health:

• The biggest influence on blood cholesterol level is the mix of fats and carbohydrates in your diet – not the amount of cholesterol you eat from food.
  • Although it remains important to limit the amount of cholesterol you eat, especially if you have diabetes, for most people dietary cholesterol is not as problematic as once believed.
  • scientific studies show a weak relationship between the amount of cholesterol a person consumes and his or her blood cholesterol levels
  • For most people, the amount of cholesterol eaten has only a modest impact on the amount of cholesterol circulating in the blood

Regarding the last point, however, it’s worth noting they say "for most people". They do add that:

• For some people, though, blood cholesterol levels rise and fall very strongly in relation to the amount of cholesterol eaten. For these “responders,” avoiding cholesterol-rich foods can have a substantial effect on blood cholesterol levels.

Other than that, I would agree with both @DanielleinDC and @GershonSurge that the new burger doesn’t sound like such a good idea. I’d rather focus on eating minimally processed / whole food (whether it’s from plant or animal sources) than try to replicate the experience of junk food with something that still mostly amounts to junk food.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

I have not heard of this before. But I will make sure to stay far away Smiley Very Happy

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

@theultrahvybeat wrote:

I just came across the Impossible Burger, which was recently given the green light by the FDA.

<s>Well if it's good enough for the US Government, it's good enough for me! </s> 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Dominique,

I like your last paragraph about eating whole foods instead of processed foods.

This paper gives in-depth support for the three studies you referenced. It comes from a surprising source: Dr. T. Colin Campbell. I think you will agree on parts and disagree on others. 

This article by Dr. Campbell is easier to read and contains most of the same information.

Best Answer

I realize this is an older thread, but I'm seeing a lot of add on TV from Burger King for the Impossible Wopper and hearing people rave about how good they taste. They are plant based, but to all the other points below, still not a healthy option by a long shot (https://www.womenshealthmag.com/food/a21050196/the-impossible-burger/). Out of curiously, I did taste one and it's not terrible, but if you are use to eating fresh veggies and other whole foods, this will not be a satisfying meal. Best to stick with simple whole foods. 

Marci | Bellevue, WA
Best Answer

Hello all! This is a great thread for anyone skeptical about trying the Impossible Burger. I honestly have not tried it, but have heard great comments about the taste. Nutrition wise, I would not recommend it though. It has too much sodium and after all it is processed food. 

I agree with @Dominique I’d also focus on eating minimally processed / whole food. This helps you have a better digestion. 

I wish you all a happy new year! Keep stepping and posting. 

RodrigoM | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Best Answer

I personally like my things natural. The impossible burger has genetically modified organisms which would scare me. Plus the sayings I have been reading when it first came out saying it is generally safe. That doesn't reassure me wanting to put it in my body. If I want a hamburger, I want a locally sourced burger that is organic. With that said, my son tried the burger king one and he said it was ok, but the kicker was you have to eat it right away, others he said once it got cold that it tasted nasty.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yeah there was 1 ingredient i read in the recipe that sounded gnarley. Nothing wrong with eating meat contrary to all the eco-people out there     . As for it tasting ok you can make anything taste ok if you spice the hell out of it.

Best Answer
0 Votes