Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coconut oil vs ghee

ANSWERED

Hi! 

Can anyone suggest me what is better (healthier, better tasting, low calorie, cheaper) coconut oil or ghee?

Moderator Edit: All-caps subject

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

If you're looking to decide, it's best to have the nutritional information in front of you.  This article may be helpful in your decision.  http://www.livestrong.com/article/494807-is-coconut-oil-better-for-health-than-ghee/

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
10 REPLIES 10

They are both healthy for you. I use coconut oil for cooking and baking. And Ghee is a clarified butter meaning the dairy is cooked out so you can use that like butter. I haven't cooked with it before. I find ghee can be quiet expensive though.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thanks rain4ever. I will give coconut oil a try 🙂

Cristy.
Best Answer
0 Votes

@CRISTY wrote:

Hi! 

Can anyone suggest me what is better (healthier, better tasting, low calorie, cheaper) coconut oil or ghee?

Moderator Edit: All-caps subject

healthier - they're both healthy for you

better tasting - that's subjective.  i can eat coconut oil by the spoon and find it tasty.  i could also eat ghee by the spoonful, but i don't usually have it sitting around.

low calorie - sorry, i don't pay attention to calories

cheaper - when i need ghee, i usually make my own since i don't typically need large amounts.  so, it's basically the cost of butter.  coconut oil - i buy in a 6 lb (yes, pound) container from costco.  it's about $23 and lasts me about 3-4 months.

hope that helps.

LCHF since June 2013
Best Answer

Thanks carl669 I have a look for coconut oil at costco. I have fund little containers at health store like rachel berry but very expensive so costco sounds like a great deal.

Best Answer
0 Votes

If you're looking to decide, it's best to have the nutritional information in front of you.  This article may be helpful in your decision.  http://www.livestrong.com/article/494807-is-coconut-oil-better-for-health-than-ghee/

Best Answer
Super usefull! Thank you very much DanielleRn
Best Answer

I use coconut oil, I get it from Amazon, it is cheaper there, but a friend of mine buys hers at Costco, and I know that it is also cheap there too. Don't be surprised at the price, but remember, a little really goes a long way.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, I specially like to use coconut oil, if you are looking for some good recipes here you can find some. Smiley Wink

Alejandra | Community Moderator, Fitbit

If you like something I recommended, I encourage you to mark that reply as "Best Answer". 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

The two are entirely different, but I generally have both around. I make my own ghee and keep it in a mason jar (I leave it on the counter and it's fine). Coconut oil comes in so many different versions, but if you are wanting to put it in coffee or on a cracker or something, the virgin pressed, unrefined is probably what you want to purchase. If you are wanting to sautee veggies in it, go for the normal stuff (the unrefined one will give you that oh-so-odd veggie and coconut combo taste). Ultimately, ghee is probably cheaper, but I don't believe I've ever purchased it when it wasn't on sale. Shop around, sales will come out of the woodwork.

"You can't out-run your fork!"
Best Answer
0 Votes

I use both Coconut Oil and Ghee, both are OK according to my Paleo cookbooks.

I use mostly coconut oil for cooking because I can get two HUGE containers of the stuff from Costco (Two 1200gm/42.3oz jars of organic coconut oil, cold pressed, unrefined and chemical-free according to the label). I also sometimes throw in Coconut Oil into my coffee when I'm making Bulletproof Coffee.

I also picked up a small jar of ghee because I needed it for a Paleo recipe I was trying out.

Best Answer
0 Votes