Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Low-calorie Diet Plan really help in weight loss

I am writing on health niche for a long time now. And after a long research I have that Low-calorie diet plan can really help is weight loss. What is your opinion?

Best Answer
7 REPLIES 7

It is hard to say. When I eat under goal I gain weight. When I eat over, I gain weight.

I have a 2 year old keeping me busy and sometimes ate under 1000 cal a day... good food, and still gained even while being active running around with little one.

It doesn't seem to matter what I eat I gain. The only thing that gets me down in weight is constant training... and before I'm criticized by the all knowing trolls... my diet plan is in order...

Best Answer

@knowworldnowWelcome to the forum. For me it's all about the quality of my food, not the calories. If the food is unprocessed and I honor my hunger (eat when I'm truly hungry, not just because clock says it's lunch time) then my weight is not an issue. If I start eating processed food, even if I'm monitory calories in/out my weight increases. In the 80s there was so much low fat and no fat, that was 100% processed, people didn't lose weight, in most cased they gained weight. Again, it's about the quality of the food, not calorie count. 

Marci | Bellevue, WA
Best Answer

That is such a difficult question to answer because it is so different for so many folks. Using myself as an example, I am gluten intolerant (not celiac) and insulin resistant. The slightest ingestion of gluten or over consumption of high glycemic carbs will halt my weight loss and cause all kinds of other issues. Low calorie, coupled with high carbs, can be a serious issue and cause the accumulation of visceral fat (the most dangerous kind) in lots of people with insulin resistance. So, I guess what I'm saying, is even in low calorie diets, it is critical that those calories consist of the right food choices. 

Best Answer

I am a nutritional biochemist and from a scientific perspective the short answer is no...Low calorie diets do not take in account a persons metabolism which is the "variable" in the equation. It not as cut throat as Calories in/out as you may have been led to believe. We know this because there are people who actively attempt to reduce calorie consumption and they still do not loose weight or they hit a platue. This is why low-carb diets are more favoured and has been for centuries. The westernize diets of counting carbs and low fat have not worked and this we can prove strictly based on the chronic illness that plague the culture which are all metabolic syndromes, meaning they can be corrected with food such as Type 2 Diabetes, Heart Disease, Cancer, etc. 

I consume about 2500 calories daily, no more than 30g of Net Carbs  (Total Carbs-Fiber=Net Carbs) and have a High Fat Intake (accounting for nearly 80% of my diet) and I have managed to reverse my PCOS, Eliminate seizures and drop 92lbs as an added bonus.

When approaching weight loss you really have to reteach yourself all the things you THOUGHT you knew and look at it from a new perspective. Low calorie may work for s healthy individual but it generally doesnt work for the AVERAGE individual and I say this because 7/10 people in America have AT LEAST one chronic disease. 

Be Apart of my Journey by Adding Me On Social Media

Fitbit

MyFitnessPal

Personal Facebook

Like the Nourishing Pot's FB page to help support and/or visit The Nourish Pot website but please note we are under construction.

Instagram

For Recipes, Meal Plans and more you can subscribe to my Youtube Channel.

Best Answer

Hi, guys.

I found this community a few days ago and now I'm spending here all my free time when I drink my morning coffee or go to work. After pregnancy, I gained weight, and now still gain. I was trying different diets, but nothing helps me. I've just read carefully your low-calorie diet, and I can say it looks not complicated to follow. Especially, I liked the military diet. Also, it's a very interesting opinion of a scientist in this matter, because I always thought of cutting calories from my diet but never minds of a low-carb diet. I liked your site and found a few interesting recipes I'm going to include to my nutrition.

Waiting for new recipes for weight loss.

Best Answer

Hi @YoungFowl  and thanks for the support. What I try to explain to individuals is that I came to this conclusion of adhering to a low carb diet after simply looking at the research and evaluating the science. There is a large amount of science to back up the efficiency of a low carb diet. We have only been consuming a agricultral based diet for about 500 generations which represents less than 1% of our existence on this planet. We have been a species that consumed a high fat diet for the other 99% and it is because of this high fat-low carb way of living that our brains has been able to evolve into what we are. ,

High Carb diets have resulted in a change in the leading cause of death going from infectious diseases like influenza, TB, phenomia, etc to it being Heart Disease, Cancer and Type 2 diabetes which is all preventable with proper nutrition. The issue is in how we define proper nutrition as what has been taught is dangerously wrong and we've known this since the Great Depression (1920's-1930's). 

Collectively we have done the right thing. We have cut down on fat, dairy is down by 73%, meat is down by 17%, and the nation is still suffering and struggling. We did what we were suppose to do and we are not seeing the results because what we have been told is incorrect. In order to really loose weight, we must relearn all things we think we know and that is not simple to do.

Best Answer

@ThérèseMonet wrote:

High Carb diets have resulted in a change in the leading cause of death going from infectious diseases like influenza, TB, phenomia, etc to it being Heart Disease, Cancer and Type 2 diabetes which is all preventable with proper nutrition.

I will agree with the fact cardiovascular diseases, cancer and type 2 diabetes are leading causes of death (in rich countries), and can indeed be prevented to a large extent by proper nutrition. I will disagree with the fact they are caused by high-carb diets, and also likely with what constitutes "proper nutrition" (according to you, apparently, low-carb diets).

You mention neither overweight/obesity nor the metabolic syndrome. Yet, both are fundamentally related to all the diseases you mention. Obesity / metabolic syndrome is not caused by high-carb diets, it is caused by consuming an excessive amount of calories in relation to your activity. That a large share of these calories may very well come from carbs is secondary to the matter.

Any diet that will bring an overweight person back into the healthy weight range, or at least closer to it, would be "proper nutrition". Low-carb diets may indeed suit many people who want to do this, but they’re not the only option. Approaches like the Mediterranean diet, or DASH, which are not particularly low-carb, can work just as well. The most important factor in a diet is adherence: someone can plan the "best" diet for you, but if you can’t stick to it, it will be of no use.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes