Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Don't have time for cooking

ANSWERED

Here's a good question; both husband and I work. I'm actually looking into what can be done to solve issues since both of us are in a situation where he works one shift and I work another; we pass one another like ships in the night. I'm seriously considering the idea of doing something that can be done in bulk but also cooking healthy at the same time. 

Curious to know from others that  have experienced this and what ideas are you using to manage?  Thank you,

Sue

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hi @SueElv - good question. I’m retired now and have time to cook. But before that, my hubby worked some crazy hours so I would cook in bulk (usually on Sunday), preparing meals that could then be packaged in separate servings and warmed up when needed throughout the week. The extra benefit was that anything not eaten by Friday could go in the freezer. I still do this now when I make bigger meals or soup ... eat what we want then freeze for later meals. It’s more effort to keep the meals healthy but there are a lot of suitable recipes online if you search for them.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
6 REPLIES 6

Hi @SueElv - good question. I’m retired now and have time to cook. But before that, my hubby worked some crazy hours so I would cook in bulk (usually on Sunday), preparing meals that could then be packaged in separate servings and warmed up when needed throughout the week. The extra benefit was that anything not eaten by Friday could go in the freezer. I still do this now when I make bigger meals or soup ... eat what we want then freeze for later meals. It’s more effort to keep the meals healthy but there are a lot of suitable recipes online if you search for them.

Best Answer
have been thinking about that exact thought and considered something
similar just trying to figure out what would work best as there is only so
much room that we've got between the small freezer (connected to the
refrigerator) and the deep freezer that's mainly used for meats that are
purchased in bulk. I'm already thinking about this when I have the time
from the job - off weekends - but I do appreciate your thoughts.
Best Answer

I cook a lot of meals in the Instant Pot. It's quick and easy on the nights when I don't feel like cooking. I can just throw the ingredients in the pot and go for a run while it cooks. Then I come home to a nice, hot meal. On the weekends, I make batches of things like pasta or chili or soup that reheat really easily. 

Community Council Member

Amanda | Wyoming, USA
Pixel Watch 2, Inspire 3, Sense | Android

Best Answer

Try using an air fryer. I make boneless skinless chicken thighs. Put it in for 28 minutes, make some kale or broccoli and call it a day. Very simple and quick

Best Answer

Cooking isn't a pleasure for everyone. Premade meal delivery is a real lifeline for those who can't stand cooking or don't have the necessary skills for this. However, you will have to get some money out of your pocket, especially if you want delicious food.
There are meal delivery companies that use high-quality products, respect all hygienic rules and cook accordingly to the recipe. I'm not addicted to cooking, but dishes like taco soup or chicken and rice aren't a big deal to prepare.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @SueElv 

Sometimes I find it easier to bulk prep a protein such as shredded boneless chicken breasts/thighs, pork tenderloin or lean ground turkey. I usuakky bulk prep the protein in a slow cooker. Then, I use the bulk prepped protein to make various meal options for the week. 

Best Answer
0 Votes