Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eating well at work . . .

I am the night manager at a major fast food chain. I LOVE fried foods, especially french fries. I get my meals for free, so it is is sooooo hard to resist. What are some tricks you all use to help you curb your "fat animal" cravings

Best Answer
0 Votes
7 REPLIES 7

That would definitely be a tough situation. Can you make healthier choices from the menu, and customize your meals more, and if you love fries, you can still have them, but limit yourselves to only a few times. I love fries also, I allow myself some, but keep the portion small. I only ever order a small fry, or share a larger one with my husband. My other suggestion would be intermittent fasting.

Wishing you much success! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Highland_Pastor wrote:

I am the night manager at a major fast food chain. I LOVE fried foods, especially french fries. I get my meals for free, so it is is sooooo hard to resist. What are some tricks you all use to help you curb your "fat animal" cravings

As you likely know, it's difficult to convert someone or bring them back if they think their life is going well. From the outside, you probably see many on the road to perdition, but they won't seek divine help until they hit their personal bottom.

What you might try is determining if you are on the road to dietary perdition. Go to the nearest medical lab and ask for a lipid profile. They are usually about $100. If your total cholesterol is above 150, then your risk of a heart attack as you age is high. About one-third of the people who have heart attacks have a total cholesterol between 150 and 200. Virtually zero have a total cholesterol below 150. If your cholesterol is above 150, you are also at greater risk for developing other degenerative diseases.

If you take this step and your total cholesterol is above 150, come on back, and I can help you "convert."

Best Answer
0 Votes

I will be interested in the advice you get from similarly situated fast food workers.  I've got plenty of experience eating fast food, fried food, pizza, donuts, fries, chips .... but I have one advantage you don't have -- I don't work in it all day long, so I can much more easily get away from it.   

As I've gotten away from processed food and fried food and other take out food over the past couple of years I've found I don't really crave it that much any more.  So the urges can go away. Still, I am not really standing in your shoes so my advice may not make sense to you.  But here it is anyway 😉

1. Eat some good food before you go to work.  Food you find especially tasty is hard to resist under any circumstances, but much more so when you are hungry.  So if it were me I would change my eating schedule and eat a full meal before the shift, and eat another at the end. At least half the plate (or giant salad bowl) should be full of different veggies to fill your stomach with low-calorie nutritious food, and then add some protein and healthy fats from whole foods (avocado, nuts) and high fiber foods like chickpeas or other beans for additional satiety.  Once you've got that in your belly, you may still crave some of what your restaurant serves, but it will be easier for you to stay to smaller portions and not munch all night long.

2. Build a better habit.  Over the next few weeks develop some sort of strategy that cuts the amount 'free food' you eat from work at least in half.  When I lost 40 lbs in 2017, it started with giving up my two beers a night drinking altogether for a month (to prove to myself that I could), and then moving to drinking only on odd numbered days.  I personally found it impossible to go from two beers to just one/night, but giving it up entirely every other night wasn't that hard because I always knew that it was just one day off, and anybody can last a day, right?  That is pretty much my current habit now some 20 months later, except that because I don't drink every night it is somehow easier to stop at one beer on the nights I do drink. 

3. No free food.  After you've done #2 for a while, stop eating free food from work altogether.  If you really want it, buy it, enjoy it, and realize that you just gave up something else you could have used that money for. (Actually ring it up and put the money in the register so it has to be accounted for when the drawer is balanced).  When gas got to 4 or 5 bucks a gallon, people stopped driving big cars, when cigarettes got to $5-8$ a pack, the percentage of adults in the US who smoked dropped from 60% to 20%.  Cost matters, and one reason you are indulging is because it seems stupid to give up free food.  But it is really not; you are just trading a short-term gain for a long-term loss of becoming heavier and more sickly.  Actually paying for the food makes the short-term reward less 'rewarding.'

I hope this helps a bit @Highland_Pastor.  I am impressed at anyone who can maintain a healthy weight and balanced diet while working around free tasty food.  Keep us updated on the strategies that seem to work for you, and the ones that don't.  You aren't the only one dealing with this.

Scott | Baltimore MD

Charge 6; Inspire 3; Luxe; iPhone 13 Pro

Best Answer

@Highland_Pastor my mom used to say if its free its for me.. hmm.. maybe it shouldn't be. Just because you can doesn't mean you should. all the advice in the world isn't going to change your mind about eating what you love and without paying for it. I love fries. I eat them once per week off my husband's plate when we dine out.. especially sweet potato ones.. yummmm... but 6 days out of the week, I don't want them and I don't eat them. I have trained myself to indulge in food twice per week and the rest of the time I eat high nutrition fresh food. It is just how I have made up mind to be and there is no looking back. That is what you need to do. Make up your mind that your job and your health are two different things and don't intersect. Pack your own food to take to work like those who don't work in kitchens do and stick to it... it won't be easy, but it will be healthy..

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer

@Highland_Pastor at work, I have access to a variety of food. Lunch costs only 2 pounds and it's a full fresh meal ( ok, this isn't fast-food ). Occasionally, we have other, less healthy events, like for example "cake day" 🙂 I used to eat lunch at work and for sure I put some extra weight on back then. Additionally, during my first year at the company I used to do lots of overtime and after a number of hours worked employees can claim free meal - this usually was fast-food.

One of the strategies of avoiding free (almost free) food is not having lunch at the workplace. During lunch, I usually go to the gym, for a run, cycle or take a walk. Still, however, I eat. Either I have own food prepared to go in the morning or previous night or I stop at one of the coffee shops to grab something I trust. It works for me. Not sure what it would be like if I worked in the fast-food place. It's enough when I go to McD with my wife and all I get is just a coffee but all the smells... yeah... it can really mess with your head 🙂 By the way, are you able to eat all the time at work or only during your breaks? Can you actually leave your workplace during your breaks?

I'm also curious whether there's anybody else here who experienced the exact same problem as you. We all function in very different environments after all. 

Best Answer

I'm an absolute sucker for free food.  I've been able to resist the draw better now that I'm looking at calorie counts and have a burn estimate, but sometimes....

Things you can do:

-Bring your own food (even prepare batches of food one day so it's all made for the work week)

-Look at the numbers and see "is this really what I want to spend the calories on?"

-Exercise more and "earn" the food (my favorite option sometimes, depending on the food).  If I know I'm going somewhere with lots of food I'll want--e.g., my mom's house, or we're having a potluck at work--then I'll either put in extra exercise and/or eat less on either side.  Then I don't feel as bad.

Best Answer
0 Votes

It looks like you have already taking the first step, by realizing that this is a problem for you. What has helped me in situations like this, was/is to take home cooked food and have it prepped and ready to go during my day. I would also do that for snacks as well, that will kind of keep you off the food at work. (e.g. sweet grapes, melon chunks etc. 

Hope everything will work out for you.

Best Answer