Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Egg Substitutes

ANSWERED

I am not an egg eater at all, I've tried them many times, many different ways...with many different toppings & ingredients to mask the egg taste. I can't do it. I was reading that vegans do not consume eggs because they are a animal by-product. Does anyone out there have a substitute for eggs in meals? Something that holds the same type of nutrional value or at least a resemblence to texture so I can use them in breakfast recipes that are basically egg based?

Thanks in advance!

Best Answer
0 Votes
2 BEST ANSWERS

Accepted Solutions

Dont know what kind of recipes you are looking at.  Have you ever tried Egg Beaters? Or Egg Beater Egg whites. Some times it is the Yoke people do not care for but they like the white part. If thats the case just add the white part to the recipe.

Let me see a recipe

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes

I would have to agree with @WendyB here. And even still, most vegan egg subs are meant to emulate the taste of eggs without animal products. It's like Tofurky.

Although, if you are looking to replace eggs in a recipe where eggs are not the sole base (seeing as you probably don't want to buy 6 of them when you only need one or two for a recipe), 3 tbsp flax seed and 1 tbsp water works well.

"You can't out-run your fork!"

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
10 REPLIES 10

Dont know what kind of recipes you are looking at.  Have you ever tried Egg Beaters? Or Egg Beater Egg whites. Some times it is the Yoke people do not care for but they like the white part. If thats the case just add the white part to the recipe.

Let me see a recipe

Community Council Member

Best Answer
0 Votes

2 large eggs

2 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh cilantro
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
1/4 cup (1 ounce) reduced-fat shredded cheddar cheese 
1/2 cup diced seeded tomato (1 small) 

This is a tomato & cheese omelette recipe I found that I've tried but I cannot stand the taste of the eggs. No matter what that's the first thing I taste and for some reason I have never liked it. I may need to try just egg whites or egg beater whites...

Thanks Wendy
Best Answer
0 Votes

I don't see how you can change this without the eggs. I would try the Egg Beater Egg Whites or plain egg whites and see if you can tolerate them

Let us know

Community Council Member

Best Answer
0 Votes

I would have to agree with @WendyB here. And even still, most vegan egg subs are meant to emulate the taste of eggs without animal products. It's like Tofurky.

Although, if you are looking to replace eggs in a recipe where eggs are not the sole base (seeing as you probably don't want to buy 6 of them when you only need one or two for a recipe), 3 tbsp flax seed and 1 tbsp water works well.

Best Answer

@MRose 3 tbsp flax seed and 1 tbsp water works well.

I will  have to remember this! Great idea!

Community Council Member

Best Answer
0 Votes

Awesome thank you @MRose & @WendyB

I'm going to give the egg whites a try and if I can't stomach them...flax seed & water it is! lol

Best Answer
0 Votes

@awood08 that flax seed and water will not work for like an Omlette recipe. <--- this is egg based

It will work for a recipe like Macorini salad where its not egg based

Community Council Member

Best Answer
0 Votes

@WendyB wrote:

@awood08 that flax seed and water will not work for like an Omlette recipe. <--- this is egg based

It will work for a recipe like Macorini salad where its not egg based

Exactly @WendyB! I wouldn't recommend scrambling up a bunch of flax seed... I mean you can, but why would you? Haha.

Best Answer

A great Egg or protien substitute is Tofu. Soft Silk Tofu. You can mash it and season it just like and egg. It's a winner~

Best Answer

A non-"eggy" egg recipe I use when I'm tired of scrambled, fried, 'quiched' eggs is flourless crepes... Two eggs + 2tbs of cream cheese, mix in blender (I have a small 16oz personal blender that works well for this).  Add vanilla, cinnamon, stevia if you wish.   Cook as you would pancakes.  The batter is thin and delicate, so works best making small ones (easier to flip without tearing)

Best Answer