Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Farting!

ANSWERED

Warning: Discussion of bodily functions!

Here's the background, I've decided to make 2017 the year that I take better care of myself. I'm in my mid-forties and flabby. I've got to that point in life where I've got complacent and as a result I'm out of shape. I've been lazy about diet, lazy about exercise and lazy about mindfulness. 

So it's time for a change. I bought my Fitbit Zip and now walk at least 10,000 steps/day. 

I make a point of having reflective time every day.

And I've radically changed my diet. The available evidence points clearly to the Mediterranean Diet as the route to healthy longevity and so I've embraced it. 

Pork pies, cakes, chips (fries to my US friends!), crisps (chips to my US friends!) are all in the past. 

Now I'm eating fruit, veg, beans, nuts, olives, pasta, rice, oily fish...

And I'm loving it! I haven't eaten meat in over a fortnight and I feel amazing. 

My weight is down, my exercise tolerance is improving, my BP is normal, I'm not bloated, my bowel habit is regular and healthy. 

In short, my new regime is wonderful. 

HOWEVER! I've never farted so much in my life. I've turned in to a human leaf-blower. If I had any more wind, I'd have to change my name to Beaufort!

I just wonder if anyone else has encountered the same experience and found a way to successfully combat it?

If it continues like this, I might have to steal my dog's charcoal biscuits!

Thanks in advance for sensible suggestions and any light-hearted comment this will obviously bring!

Ultimate Goal: Mens sana in corpore sano
Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@Dave001 First, this was the best laugh all day- and I realize I sound like an 8 year old- but you are funny. Second, your body is adjusting to processing more fiber than it has before and you are not "greasing" the way any longer with fried food. You can take over the counter gas pills for days that you are really having a rough time, otherwise, let it go and let your body do what it needs to do.

I agree with @Esya there are probably foods that give you the worst days- try to figure them out and either limit or stay away all together. Cooked onions are not my friends. I can actually lose friends because of them- so I stopped eating them. Good luck and best wishes to your family 🙂

Elena | Pennsylvania

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
7 REPLIES 7

I haven't had this problem, but here's some ideas:

http://www.webmd.com/digestive-disorders/diarrhea-10/secrets-gas-control

Anne | Rural Ontario, Canada

Ionic (gifted), Alta HR (gifted), Charge 2, Flex 2, Charge HR, One, Blaze (retired), Trendweight.com,

Down 150 pounds from my top weight (and still going), sharing my experiences here to try and help others.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Dave001: Congrats on your successful journey! 

Some of the vegetables including onion, cabbage, broccoli, celery, brussel sprouts cause gas. Also legumes and beans do form gas in our body. I am a vegetarian too. So this is from my personal experience. 

http://www.everydayhealth.com/digestive-health/foods-that-cause-excessive-gas.aspx

To overcome this, I take ginger and garlic water (5 cloves of garlic and thumb size of ginger - crush it and boil this in a cup of water for 15 minutes. Filter this and if you can handle the spice, take it just like that or add 1 tsp of honey and have it) every week. Also it increases our immune system. Garlic have ability to prevent common cold. 

Good luck

Bhuvana

Best Answer
0 Votes

Quite a few people that I know are intolerant to onions. I don't know if you are logging your food, but if you are you could also log your farts and see if you can find any correlation.

Karolien | The Netherlands

Best Answer

@Dave001 First, this was the best laugh all day- and I realize I sound like an 8 year old- but you are funny. Second, your body is adjusting to processing more fiber than it has before and you are not "greasing" the way any longer with fried food. You can take over the counter gas pills for days that you are really having a rough time, otherwise, let it go and let your body do what it needs to do.

I agree with @Esya there are probably foods that give you the worst days- try to figure them out and either limit or stay away all together. Cooked onions are not my friends. I can actually lose friends because of them- so I stopped eating them. Good luck and best wishes to your family 🙂

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer

Thank you @emili.

It seems that you're right! Time is a great healer. My problem seems to be easing. 

I'm back to farting about as much as I was before. But there's better news, my Mediterranean/pesceterian diet produces farts that whilst hardly fragrant are far less malodorous than "meaty" ones.

I think this change in lifestyle could become permanent!

Ultimate Goal: Mens sana in corpore sano
Best Answer
0 Votes

Woman Very Happy Your post was hilarious. I stopped farting when I stopped  carbs in the meal. I was told that the carbs and the vegetables combine to form the gases. 

Best Answer

That post was super funny!  My windmill is milk.  Been at it all day.  Can't run fast enough to get away from it.  Guess there's a win in there somewhere. 

Best Answer
0 Votes