Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Favourite protein powders?

Hey all!

Just wondering what your opinions on the best protein powders are?

Thinking of starting to make breakfast smoothies now that the warmer weather's here!

Best Answer
0 Votes
14 REPLIES 14

I use to use this

https://www.amazon.com/MRM-Natural-Whey-Vanilla-2-03-Pound/dp/B000N8M3PE/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid...

I find I get enough protein with my diet so I dont use it anymore.

But you could also go to a health food store and Im sure they can also recomend some to you as well.

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm using up an old unflavoured / unsweetened powder that I bought a while back.  If you have a local seller of supplements and such try them first.  Some will hand out free and/or low cost samples.  I know when I was looking for a meal replacement for my mother years ago (her problem was not getting enough calories) our local place handed me some sample packets so I could make sure she would take them before buying a container.

As with any kind of smoothie - watch your add-ins.  If you buy a low-fat protein powder it's not a bad thing to add peanut butter to the smoothie, but calories can add up quickly.  My go to shake at the moment is usually:

unflavoured whey isolate

hemp hearts

cocoa powder, unsweetened

oat flour

water

frozen berries

I usually toss in a little stevia, but even when I forget it's just a little tart, but still drinkable.

Anne | Rural Ontario, Canada

Ionic (gifted), Alta HR (gifted), Charge 2, Flex 2, Charge HR, One, Blaze (retired), Trendweight.com,

Down 150 pounds from my top weight (and still going), sharing my experiences here to try and help others.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I use whey (because it’s complete and I tolerate it well), unflavoured. It has the following nutrional info:

2016-11-30_2341.png

I prefer to get my protein from real food in the morning: milk, eggs, cheese, oat meal. I resort to protein shakes if/when I don’t get enough from real food.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

I use Isoflex

Best Answer
0 Votes

The IS0 100 is in my opinion the best. It has less then 1gram of carbs and all protein, its an isolate so therefore it goes straight to your muscles and keeps them from being burned up while working out. you can read up more on it but its by far the best in my opinion.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I use vega i usually get their vegaone complete nutritional shake instead of the just protien ones because it has more nutrients than id eat in like a week in one shake. Its a bit chalky if not thoroughly mixed I usually use almond milk& water sometimes I add fruit or pb2

Best Answer
0 Votes

I use IdealLean for Women. 
Only 80 calories and has 0 carbs, fats, and sugars. And has 20g of protein in one scoop and it tastes really good. I personally have the chocolate and vanilla at home, but they have way more flavors. 

Here's the link! (: http://bit.ly/2lvOcYi

Best Answer
0 Votes

I love Muscle Milk.  Tastes great.:)

@JessicaB3007 wrote:

Hey all!

Best Answer

Best is subjective, isn't it? 

There are a few factors that go into my evaluation of a protein powder. 

Amino Acid profile — how much of each kind of amino acid does each serving provide? 

Cost per serving – In most cases, it’s much cheaper to have a cheese omelette. Just depends on if you can handle the calories. 

Taste – Some powders are better than others. Make sure you check the return policy; if it tastes like chalk, you want to be able to exchange it, at a minimum. 

Ingredients – Almost all the powders contain sugar, or a sugar substitute. But what kind? Molasses? Monk Fruit? Sucralose? Stevia? 

You’ll likely find that most products under $30 for a 2 pound tub will have Sucralose. I try to avoid these, because there is at least one study out there that shows that Sucralose impacts the gut biome in some fashion. 

Lastly – you need to determine if you want to pay the extra $ to use a hemp/pea/rice type – essentially a vegan powder. The protein profiles of these are just fine. They are occasionally more calories than an isolate whey, but allegedly no harming of cows occurred during the manufacture of these vegan powders.   The whey powders – they do have them from non-CAFO cows. But you’re going to pay top dollar for those. 

If you’ve got money to burn, consider getting your protein powder from a goat! Goat protein powder is certainly going to be easier on your stomach than whey; a much better amino acid profile, too. But, again, very pricy. 

Those who have no idea what they are doing genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they're doing. - John Cleese
Best Answer
0 Votes

@missbrittneyann wrote:

I use IdealLean for Women. 
Only 80 calories and has 0 carbs, fats, and sugars. And has 20g of protein in one scoop and it tastes really good. I personally have the chocolate and vanilla at home, but they have way more flavors. 

Here's the link! (: http://bit.ly/2lvOcYi

What a strange way to express nutritional content: "80 deliciously smooth calories and 20 grams of whey protein isolate". Why can’t they tell us what’s in 100 grams of the stuff?

I’ve never seen whey powder (especially flavoured) that’s 100% protein, which is why I’d be interested to see the actual content per 100 grams. Is their "IdealFit Proprietary Recovery Blend, packed with L-Glutamine and superfruits" mixed with the whey protein or packaged separately?

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

You can find the nutritional information here: https://www.idealfit.com/protein.list 

Best Answer
0 Votes

If you are lactose intolerant, i would recommend ISOPure.

It's my choice because it has 50grams of protein per serving, zero carbs, and only 210 calories.

Some times if i am craving a protein packed smoothie, i blend 62grams of Strawberry Isopure with 2 squares of tofu, soy milk and 1 banana or peanut butter if i haven't already gone through my stash. Protein smoothies are killer good with tofu. Heart I would only recommend making this smoothie if you need to hit some serious intakes lol Smiley Very Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

Protein from Le-Vel !

Its all in the 3 steps !

https://meldaniel.le-vel.com

Best Answer
0 Votes

I use MyProtein Strawberry Isolate, always with Almond Milk, I just bought a bunch of sample packs to add to Porridges, so far Banoffee I can fully recommend.

Best Answer
0 Votes