Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Food tracker is terrible

How is this feature so clunky and inaccurate after all this time?

EX: I scan a barcode of a can of nitro coffee, of which the nutritional facts clearly states is 10 calories per serving, which is 10 fl oz (1 can). Yet, somehow, after finding the barcode in whatever **ahem**-backwards database fitbit uses, it says the caloric intake is 30. The same goes for a smaller 8oz coffee can that clearly states is 10 calories, however, fitbit seems to think it's 15 calories per 8oz.

this is just one example of the immense number of inaccuracies I've encountered while attempting to get anywhere close to logging my daily intake

Not only does the database need an overhaul, but I'm getting ads to upgrade.. why would anyone want to spend money on such a terrible implementation. There are multiple FREE apps that have waaay better databases for getting factual data

I guess I'll just continue using the "Eat This Much" app, as fitbit's is a complete joke and waste of your time.

Best Answer
10 REPLIES 10

Well done on actually finding the food you want to input, most of the time I have to create custom foods just to enter food with barcodes from well known shops and/or by well known makers!

The activity section is also seriously lacking, today it logged my hour long skating session as 2 walks and a bike, there is no skating option.

I also can't get my watch to sync with my new phone, or this app, and the instructions for doing so are vague at best.

I miss my garmin - may it rest in peace.

Best Answer

So far its been comparable to my experience with Noom (quite expensive) and MyFitnessPal. Anytime users can submit foods there's problems IMO. I kept sending noom some of the funnier things like "here someone is measuring BY THE CHIP" or "dental floss container, tic-tak container, softball size," etc.

The good thing for me is the web interface. Noom was app only. My eyes are a bit old.

I do hope things improve, but at least for me I don't know how to filter out user-generated results. That'd help tremendously.

Best Answer

Oh aye, myfitnesspal is rife with ridiculousness when it comes to user entered foods.  I'm not sure you can filter other peoples nonsense out on here - would be a great option though!

I'm also with you on the web side, I only like adding foods using my phone cos it has the barcode scanner, but everything else is done on laptop.  So fitbit not knowing any of the foods I am currently eating is so annoying I've given up using it.  I'm just using it to get a rough estimate of calories I've used up so I don't under eat (usually my issue when eating properly).

My garmin 920xt on the other hand, the garmin interface which synced with myfitnesspal, was a million times better, in all aspects so far.  Glad my fitbit wasn't as expensive as my garmin or i'd be asking for a refund as it's not fit for purpose.

Best Answer
0 Votes

*looks up920xt*

Oof, for that price I'd hope you were happy with it. I simply got the Inspire 2 and its perfect for me. I'm too easily distractible to risk getting something fancier, and I never wear wrist-watches so I'm having to get used to this (leather strap helps tremendously).

I do wonder how much time and money Google plans to put into Fitbit in the future, or if its just data harvesting.

Best Answer
0 Votes

haha, I know it's the most expensive watch I've bought, but I was doing triathlons and silly amounts of other training at the time that made the price well worth it!  It was brilliant - then just died a death one day, couldn't resurrect it so decide to find something cheaper as I was no longer doing mental amounts of exercise (and it shows).  

I used to find it hard to not have a watch on, but after lockdown.. i forget to put it on, went to karate today and totally forgot it! (non-contact today so no danger of damaging anyone with it). I can;t seem to add training on the fly if i wasn't wearing fitbit, you can with garmin (which was handy if you did the same thing each week and forgot your watch one session.

I also hope they pull their finger out and gives us a proper, maintained interface.  For now it's a useful ballpark figure and accountability tracker for me.  Though if I suddenly get back into crazy sports mode I'll fork out for another 920.

The fact the fitbits are simple are a plus but the app should be much better - I hope the main sport you do is on the list.

Best Answer

I don't sport. Just started walking, do a little, tiny bit of kettlebell stuff, and a little VR exercise via rhythm games.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Do more sports! 😉

Walking is on the list, so you've one that'll track reasonably accurately.

Is it the oculus?  my mate just got one, I've yet to try it, slightly scared as i have balance issues which is made worse by too much optical input so 3d films, fast panning shots, flashing credits (big bang, ncis) are a massive no-no for me, so I figure VR like oculus will send me into weeks of 'drunkenness'.  Which is just frustrating as I'd love to try beat saber (I fence foil, epee, and longsword).

Best Answer
0 Votes

honestly the fitbit food tracker is a joke I just use Lose it. I like FitBit for the watch notifications and the step tracking lol because I don't feel like carrying my phone with me all the time. Also the sleep tracker is nice.

Best Answer

I've just started using the food tracker over a week ago. I am finding the data provided via UPC bar code to be wildly inaccurate at times, and also rife with just simple spelling errors.

1) Does anyone know what database is being used?
2) Does anyone know the procedure for getting this database updated?

An obvious feature would be having a "report bad data" button in the app, so it can be updated or at least flagged.

Best Answer
0 Votes

What I have found to be the most useful thing to do is use another food tracker that will send the data to FitBit.  Cronometer has been the best fit for me.  Granted, the entry comes in as one single entry, but the calories, fiber and macronutrients are broken down into their individual values.  The only downside I have found is the water I log in Cronometer is not transferred into FitBit -- I have to double-log that information.

Best Answer