Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Healthy diet

ANSWERED

So I play tennis a lot, but after I always have the craving to eat something unhealthy even though I know I shouldn't be eating any junk food after a workout. How do I fulfill my hunger but by eating something healthy? Like a healthier snack?

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hi, @tennismusicart, and welcome to the community! For optimal weight management, you should plan your eating for the entire day, not just for the time following your tennis sessions. What does your typical eating schedule look like (if you have any at all)? Do you make sure you’re getting a good amount of lean protein (satiety) and veggies (fiber) with every meal? It’s OK to have a bit of junk food here and there, as long as most of your diet comes from quality sources. You just have to make room for it. Do you log your intake? If you are trying to lose weight and have problems doing so, this would be my first suggestion.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
11 REPLIES 11

I dunno. How bout a chunk of cheddar cheese and a big apple or pear? If you're playing tennis to get fit or lose weight just tell yourself that the whole time you played was worth nothing if you just eat a cheeseburger and fries afterwards.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, @tennismusicart, and welcome to the community! For optimal weight management, you should plan your eating for the entire day, not just for the time following your tennis sessions. What does your typical eating schedule look like (if you have any at all)? Do you make sure you’re getting a good amount of lean protein (satiety) and veggies (fiber) with every meal? It’s OK to have a bit of junk food here and there, as long as most of your diet comes from quality sources. You just have to make room for it. Do you log your intake? If you are trying to lose weight and have problems doing so, this would be my first suggestion.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

Is that meant to be rude or sarcastic? I don't eat cheeseburgers and fries afterwards. I always eat fruit but it's usually something like chips and stuff. If you're trying to be rude please don't reply!

Best Answer

I'm trying to ask what snacks are good for after a workout. I will log my food intake though.

Best Answer
0 Votes

never mind

Best Answer
0 Votes

I used to have this same problem.  I don't know what your current diet is like but perhaps a reset is in order?  So, when I workout and sweat a lot and when it dries I can see and feel a white layer on my skin.  This layer is salt.  Therefore, I craved the salty snacks like chips after a workout.  Its was my bodies way of wanting to replenish the salt that I just lost.  And no I don't have high blood pressure because of all the salt.  🙂  Doc says that this happens to a lot of people.  So, I had to reset my brain to not crave chips after a workout. So, I had t reset by cutting down big time on the carbs.  I basically only got my carbs through fruits and veggies for 2 weeks.  This really worked and I noticed that the cravings for chips or salty foods after my workouts went away almost immediately.  If this doesn't help then I say try a hand full of salty almonds instead.  It may be that you are looking for a "carrier for salt".    

Best Answer

I think what is happening is you are burning through carbs as one does during cardio and carbs signal hungry and hungry signals fast which is usually not healthy. I will tell you after a good run I am starving, but I know what it is so I literally ignore it. I also plan these runs around a meal so I know its coming. If you can't play close to a meal, bring the snack with you so you aren't relying on concession or drive through. grapes, an orange, berries, cherries all have good carbs and are juicy. they will hold you over till a planned meal with only a small impact to your calories. If you have a thermos, make oatmeal with fruit or nuts. really satisfying. or blend up fruit and yogurt and enjoy a cold smoothy. lots of options out there, just put your wallet away 🙂

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer

This is the exact thing I struggle with. After a run the first thing I want is something fatty! Glad I'm not the only one. Annoyingly, fruit doesn't always cut the craving.

Best Answer
0 Votes
find a healthy option of the bad food. there is plenty of mid way foods out there which isnt really good or bad for you, weight watchers for example. you just need to find the right stuff,
Best Answer

@tennismusicart: My daughter does lot of tennis. After a two hour practice session, either she eats 1/2 cup of cottage cheese with any fruit. 

@cornishpix: After a good long run, I go for a protein drink or a protein bar. This helps to suppress my sugar cravings too.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Ohh, the same problem

Best Answer
0 Votes