Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Healthy snacking

I am a huge snacker! Literally thats what killed me over the hoildays and now I find myself though out the day grabbing unhealthy choices for just a snack. Whats your go to grab snack for the inbetween meal nibble?

Moderator Edit: Formatting

Best Answer
14 REPLIES 14

Hi @nettielouise 

Welcome to the forum. I hope you find inspiration and fresh ideas here. 

Snacking is always a hard habit to break, so the first step is to find something healthy. I try to keep cut up veggies, grapes, and raw almonds on hand. All are quick items to grab and easy to keep handy. 😊

Marci | Bellevue, WA
Best Answer

Make it harder to do unhealthy choices than healthy. Give yourself permission to snack whatever you want but before eating ask yourself if that unhealthy option is the one you really want to choose.

I usually have boiled eggs and almonds to snack between meals. I need something heavier than just fruits and those are kinda easy for me and I feel hungry if I don't eat enough fat and protein. If I have not had enough protein I start to crave everything sweet and high in calories but even I would eat three bags of candy it will not go away. But when I eat enough protein with my every meal I usally don't have cravings that much. Also, not drinking enough can make you feel like you want something sweet. Find what makes you feel less hungry.

Also, sometimes after eating too much longer time only way I can stop that need to eat more is fasting one day. For some reason some people feel more need to eat when they are too full. After water fasting one day, getting over that "hunger" and pooping I usually can go back normal eating easily.

These all are just my personal experiments, do what feels good for you.

Best Answer

Hi @nettielouise welcome to the Community Forums. @MarciM @raa_  thanks for your tips to get healthier snacks. 

@nettielouise I think snacking is a tricky habit, sometimes we eat a snack not necessarily because we’re hungry but because we are stressed or dealing with different emotions. I think it’s important to implement healthy snacks but also to recognize if we’re hungry or not. As @raa_ mentioned, sometimes we’re thirsty but we interpret this as hunger. You can try to drink a glass of water before eating a snack. I hope this helps 😀

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have the same problem, I feel that after the holidays it became automatic  that my hands reach themselves for unhealthy food.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @DanOstin, it's great to see you here. 

I know that we tend to eat more unhealthy food on holidays. You can try to eat healthy snacks like the ones mentioned by @MarciM. I think Greek yogurt with fruits can also help if you like candies and chocolates 😊

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am on a food plan to lose weight but I will always need a food plan to control it.  If you have a good and healthy meal, you should not need to snack unless you are exercising a great deal.  Snacks like meals should be planned if you are going to have them as part of your daily meal plan.   Choose foods that look like they did in nature, unprocessed, no added sugar, salt, or oils.   Nothing like a piece of fruit, handful of grapes or some cut up veggies for in between meals, low fat yogurt.   Even healthy snacks have calories so they should be planned and accounted for.  In between if i 'think' I am hungry I grab a bottle of water.   Again unless you have done some strenuous exercise an adult should be able to go 4-6 hours between meals.    If you don't have it in the house you won't have an issue with it.  If you are going to snack, prep for a few days and have the healthy snacks front and center when you open the fridge or cupboard.    

Best Answer
0 Votes

@BASILCHIVES thanks for sharing this information with us. 

As you mentioned, it's important to track the calories of our snacks to properly follow our food plan 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

@bbbonbon, it's great to see you here. 

I guess many of us can relate to this, that's why we try to find healthier snack options. In this thread you can find great options to stay healthy and you can also share with us any other idea of healthy snacks 😀

Best Answer
0 Votes

My healthy snacks are fruit, though I try to limit this as quite a lot of sugar, plain dark chocolate - maximum 4 squares a day, and have recently been trying small squares of cheese, and roasted courgettes with sesame seeds. I may experiment with some more roasted veg ideas. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@judetheobscure, it's great to see you here. 

Thanks for sharing those ideas for healthy snacking. I bought dark chocolate a few weeks ago, I took a piece of it and melted it, then added some almonds and peanuts and it was great. 

I think roasted veggies is a great idea as the snacks I eat are usually sweet 😊

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello! I too often take snacks, especially when I worked in the office. I take fruits, nuts, or a light salad with me. It helps not to overeat. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @davidg92let me give you a warm welcome to the Community Forums!

Thanks for sharing your experience with healthy snaking. I think it's important for our health to eat healthier, including the snacks. 🙂

Best Answer
 My healthy snacks ideas for you which I always tried-           1-Olives & Cheese- Green olives and manchego or another aged cheese Snack like the Spaniards.    2-Hard Boiled Egg Protein Box-  Eggs, nuts, fruit, cottage cheese, cucumber . Make yourself a little protein bento box.       3-   Veggie-Tuna Bites-  Canned tuna, shredded carrots, pickles, cucumber, olives, Dijon mustard, mayo, salt, pepper, whole-white based cracker.     
Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you for sharing, @BarthdeRosa! Those are great choices. 

I bought some green olives last Sunday and they're really good. Carrots are always present in my fringe too. 😀

Davide | Italian and English Community Moderator, Fitbit

Ti invito a partecipare nelle nostre discussioni! Commenti

Best Answer
0 Votes