Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm losing muscle!

ANSWERED

I've been very disciplined in counting my calorie intake vs what I burn - watching my Fitbit dashboard daily, but my Aria scale says my fat % (35.8%) is the same or slightly higher.  I currently weigh 254 lb.  with 90 lb. of fate and 163 lb. of lean mass.  By the way, I'm male, age 61, and 6'3'.  I'm thinking I'm not eating enough calories perhaps, but I really want to lose the weight.  I've lost 14lbs sense August.  I try to eat enough protein but somethings not right.  I lift weights about 2 to 3 times a week and generally walk or cycle 3 to 4 times a week for about an hour - sometimes longer.  I've worked really hard for the little lean muscle mass I have and I don't want to lose it by trying to lose the weight.  Please help!

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@dpphoto wrote:

I've been very disciplined in counting my calorie intake vs what I burn - watching my Fitbit dashboard daily, but my Aria scale says my fat % (35.8%) is the same or slightly higher.  I currently weigh 254 lb.  with 90 lb. of fate and 163 lb. of lean mass.  By the way, I'm male, age 61, and 6'3'.  I'm thinking I'm not eating enough calories perhaps, but I really want to lose the weight.  I've lost 14lbs sense August.  I try to eat enough protein but somethings not right.  I lift weights about 2 to 3 times a week and generally walk or cycle 3 to 4 times a week for about an hour - sometimes longer.  I've worked really hard for the little lean muscle mass I have and I don't want to lose it by trying to lose the weight.  Please help!

If you are trying to lose weight, you will lose both fat and lean mass as part of that.  You can minimize that loss by staying in the gym and eating the right way at a smaller deficit and try not to cut that weight too fast.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
7 REPLIES 7

Congratulation on your achievement @dpphoto. First off Aria scales are great, but they are not 100% accurate for measuring lean body mass vs. fat. If you want to tackle this at home, you can try using Body Fat Calipers or you can go all out using Hydrostatic Weighing, which is considered the “Gold Standard” (+/- 1.5% error) of body fat measurement. Once you have that baseline, then you can start adjusting our workout and more importantly your nutritional intake. It take longer to build/grow muscle than it does to loss weight, so there is going to be some ups and down during the process. Remember to be patient without yourself. Keeping up the good work and it will come to you over time.

Best of luck!

Marci | Bellevue, WA
Best Answer

Hi, My daughter is a rock climber inside and out and she is happy with her legs, arms, back, basically everything but her stomach muscles and upper body strength. So being the go getter that she is she went on a quest to figure out what she could do to get the results that she wanted. She found Macro counting and she started counting her macro's which is basically protein, fat and carbs, I laughed and thought she was crazy however with some faithful counting and strict eating she started seeing the results she wanted which was more distinct and well defined stomach muscles. As long as it falls within her numbers she eats most anything she want's except junk foods. Maybe this is something you should check into and see if it's something you could following.Good Luck

Best Answer

What makes you think you are losing muscle?  Are you getting weaker in the gym?

Best Answer

Thanks and I was wondering if your daughter could tell me what the "right" numbers should be?  I can't seem to find that info anywhere.  And, I'm going to try to get more protein, more often in my diet.  Thanks again!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you so much for your kind words and suggestions.  I have the calipers and will give the old pinch method a whirl.  Thank you again for your time!

Best Answer
0 Votes

@dpphoto wrote:

If you are trying to lose weight, you will lose both fat and lean mass as part of that.  You can minimize that loss by staying in the gym and eating the right way at a smaller deficit and try not to cut that weight too fast.

Best Answer

I found this post at random when I was looking for clues about the same issue with my scale.  I'm showing lower muscle mass on the scale after losing 6 lbs of weight, but I'm definitely getting stronger as I just completed my first pull-up without injury.  Then, I remembered that the scale tries to estimate measurements for your body but it only technically measures the electrical resistance of your legs.  So, if I bulk up my upper body, it won't really know what's going on.

That whole thing aside, I'm curious how are you doing two years since this thread got started?

Best Answer