Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to make oatmeal taste better?

I bought some Apple & Cinnamon oatmeal, and I just ate a packet. It tastes way mooshy. It needs something sturdy to it, or something crunchy added. I also wouldn't mind being able to add chocolate to the oatmeal or something Smiley Happy

Best Answer
430 REPLIES 430

I use standard rolled oats, where the ingredients are just oats, nothing more. I then use half water & half almond milk for my liquid. I mix vanilla protein into my oats and also add a peach cut into chunks! It is super yummy & gives you heaps of energy 🙂 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Try using Old Fashion Quaker Oats! 150 calories per 1/2 cup and 5g of protein! I add a spoonful of PB after I cook it (let it melt on top and then spread) and it's one of my favorites!!

Best Answer

Looks like everyone already gave the answers I would give. Stay away from the instant brand though since they are laddened with sugars. Add walnuts, chia seeds, raisins to give it some extra nutrition. If you must have some sugar, try Stevia which is a better choice. Sugar is sugar however, so you might want to only use 1/2 a packet.

Best Answer

have you tried over night oats?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I agree, oatmeal tastes has the texture of boogers.

It's not the best but I add in 1 tsp of the Reese Peanut butter, and it's divine! It makes me eat it, and it's only 10 calories more than regular peanut butter. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Just today.. I tried something new with oatmeal.

Layered old fashioned oatmeal with flax seed/ teeny tiny bit of maple syrup/cranberries/cinnamon/a couple nuts.

I soaked it overnight in frig in almond milk.

I ate it cold and it was delish.  Was about a cup total with ALL ingredients.

Best Answer

I love oatmeal!! buy the original (no flavor) and just add a little bit of dried fruit. My favorites are dates or pecan in pieces (even cinnamon covered pecans, only 50 cal.) they add a lot of texture and not a lot of calories. you can also add a little bit of Flax meal to up the fiber and if you only add 2tbs doesn't change the flavor.

Best Answer

I eat Steel Cut Oats almost every morning with 1 Tablespoon of maple syrup and a quarter cup of raisins. Perfect amount of sweetness and it keeps me filled up if I combine it with sipping water until lunch. I don't add or make with any milk or milk substitute. 

Best Answer

I agree with others about cooking Old Fashioned oatmeal. I use soy milk instead of water and add a half cup of mixed berries.  For crunch, you can add some nuts to the top after cooking.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I like frozen blueberries or frozen strawberries in mine

Judy

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have hated oatmeal since I was a little girl, however, I find that it is tolerable if you add a little peanut butter! I also have been trying overnight oats and yogurt parfaits, which I find tolerable 🙂 

Best Answer

layer the following ingredients into a glass or Kilner Jar... tablespoon of dry oats, some low fat yogurt and a few chopped strawberries .... repeat another two times..... place jar into fridge overnight .... give good stir next morning and enjoy. Can use frozen fruit but I think it dilutes the creamy consistency too much. 

Best Answer

When I make oatmeal, I add some rasin and cinnamon to it and I always wish not to be so lazy so I can add some banana chops to it. And I find it pretty good, rasins make you chew the thing, not just swallowing it.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Oatmeal is quick an awesome breakfast on the go. There are many ways that you can have oatmeal and enjoy it. For Consistency figure out how much or how little liquid you cook it with. I like to cook it with milk or almond milk instead of water, it adds more flavour and a creamier texture to it. Adding spices help too. You can add in pumpkin puree with some nuts, or my favourite is to sautee some apples and walnuts then mixing them in and on top. Or making a fruit compote, putting a mix of my favourite seasonal fruits in a pan with a little sugar and spice and spooning it on top of my cooked oatmeal. It's all really simple. Most of it can be made the night before. But using steel cut oats will always taste better because they have more texture and flavour. They haven't been processed as much as the quick cooking oats. 

Best Answer

The best oatmeal to me is Old Fashioned Oats. These take about 5 min to cook but are the best. They don't get as mushy as 1 Minute Quick Oats and so much better to eat than packet oatmeal. If you want quick then Google recipes that you can put in a jar for the fridge and heat up the as you eat them. Can put several together to have during the week.

I use lots of fresh fruit for breakfast. You can add as you eat or add when putting them together. Bananas don't hold well. A small amount of brown sugar gives it just enough sweet. A bit of half & half or milk will give it a good texture. 

I actually make mine from scratch several times a week but don't work so I have the time... hope this helps.

Best Answer

Lots of great ideas here!  

What I've been doing for the past year (and I believe it along with other dietary changes decreased my cholesterol by over 40 points) is to microwave Unflavored Classic Instant Steel Cut Oats with Flaxseed (Better Oats Classic) for two minutes, add a diced apple and cook for an additional 2.5 minutes, then mix in 1 Tbsp of crushed walnuts and 1 Tbsp of local honey.  It is sweet, crunchy, and delicious without all the unecessary processed crap in it.

So many of the other flavored instant oatmeals are so high in sugar and refined products to make it taste good that it defeats the purpose of trying to eat some thing healthy.

The ingredients on the instant steel cut oast are Whole Grain Steel Cut Oats, Flaxsee, Stearic Acid, and Salt.  

I like knowing that the ingredients are minimal and those that I add are all-natural.  Yes, I do have to dice my own apple, but it adds a freshness that you just don't get from dehydrated fruits.

Best Answer

Try this recipe.   It is amazing!   I have added chopped walnuts to give it a little crunch.    https://www.splenda.com/recipes/apple-pie-oatmeal-recipe

Best Answer

I buy Coaches oatmeal at Costco. I cook it up for the week and put each serving in a separate container, add some vanilla, cinnamon, honey, and dried prunes to each container. When I want to eat it I just take it out of the fridge and heat it in the microwave, and then I add a little peanut butter and dip apples slices in it.  Yummy and its hearty and healthy.

Best Answer

I agree with Larry , cook trraditional Oats much nicer and healthy and add stewed apple , if time poor buy can apples there are usually not sweetened then add cinnamon 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

Another atypical way to consume oatmeal is to put it in a smoothie or shake, a lot of recipes use it to help make the smoothie or shake thicker.

Has anybody tried using canned fruits in oatmeal, specifically canned peaches? I can see using canned peaches in oatmeal as having a cobbler-esque taste.

Derrick | Retired Moderator, Fitbit

Best Answer