Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to make oatmeal taste better?

I bought some Apple & Cinnamon oatmeal, and I just ate a packet. It tastes way mooshy. It needs something sturdy to it, or something crunchy added. I also wouldn't mind being able to add chocolate to the oatmeal or something Smiley Happy

Best Answer
430 REPLIES 430

I always ate instant oatmeal growing up, and I still do sometimes for the ease of it.  However, I found a great slowcooker recipe that takes about 10 minutes to prep from the 28 Days of Clean Eating book.  It uses coconut milk, water, steel-cut oats, maple syrup, salt, vanilla extract, and cinnamon.  After 7 hours in a crockpot, you add in fresh pitted cherries.  It is delicious!  It's about clean eating, not low-calorie eating necessarily, so the recipe says 529 calories per serving.  But that's if you only get 4 servings from the crockpot, and I get 8.  So it's only 265 calories for my breakfast, and it is filling!

Best Answer
0 Votes

REAL old fashioned Quaker Oats cooked in 7 ounces of 1% milk (3 mins in microwave), with fresh blueberries and a half scoop of Designer Whey vanilla protein powder and 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon added tastes fabulous. Plus it's not ALL carbs like the instant junk cooked in water with syrup added.

Best Answer

honey and or fruits

Best Answer
0 Votes

I don't eat instant porridge and oatmeal as the source of flavour is far from natural and as it's been said before - it contains added sugar. I usually dice apples ( 150g, gala apples ) and simmer them with little of water until they release a juice and get soft. Then I add sometimes a little bit of cinnamon ( if I have one ). When apples are ready I add water and when it boils I add oats ( 40-50g ). I prefer porridge meal, so at some point of cooking, I add milk ( any will do, I prefer unsweetened soy milk due to its flavour, 100-150ml ). Then simmer it stirring occasionally until it the meal gets denser and done. No need to add any sugar. All sweetness comes from the apples. The process takes maybe 15 minutes in total. You may experiment with other fruits too.

Best Answer

Yes!  That sounds so tasty!!!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I make oatmeal jars.  

1 cup old fashioned oats

1 T chia seeds

1 cup almond milk

1/2 of berries

Put it in a canning jar and shake it up.  Put it in the fridge overnight.  In the morning you can warm it up or eat it cold.  I like it cold.  Filling, satisfying and really good for you.

Best Answer

Recently I "invented" another way of eating porridge ( I never thought that diet could make me be so creative in the kitchen 😉 ).

- 150-200ml of unsweeten soy milk ( or milk, I use soy milk )

- 1 or 2 egg yolks

- banana ( I use half for breakfast )

Milk and egg yolk place in a bowl. Whip it so there won't be any yolk left. Then chop the banana and add it to the mix. Use a hand blender to blend everything. In the meantime boil water and add oats. Let it boil for a few minutes ( depends on how soft you want them to be ). Then add mix from the bowl. Bring it almost to the boil and stir it. After few minutes it's ready to eat. Creamy banana porridge 🙂

For those with the lack of patience ( or time, which is often a case in the morning ), you can skip boiling oats and add them directly into the banana-egg-milk mix. Stir it well, move into a container that can go to the microwave and heat it up for 2 minutes ( longer if you want it softer ). This version is also very good and quick to make when you're rushing to work 🙂

Best Answer

Sounds yummy!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yum Yum Yum Yum Yum!

@SunsetRunner wrote:

Recently I "invented" another way of eating porridge ( I never thought that diet could make me be so creative in the kitchen 😉 ).

- 150-200ml of unsweeten soy milk ( or milk, I use soy milk )

- 1 or 2 egg yolks

- banana ( I use half for breakfast )

Milk and egg yolk place in a bowl. Whip it so there won't be any yolk left. Then chop the banana and add it to the mix. Use a hand blender to blend everything. In the meantime boil water and add oats. Let it boil for a few minutes ( depends on how soft you want them to be ). Then add mix from the bowl. Bring it almost to the boil and stir it. After few minutes it's ready to eat. Creamy banana porridge 🙂

For those with the lack of patience ( or time, which is often a case in the morning ), you can skip boiling oats and add them directly into the banana-egg-milk mix. Stir it well, move into a container that can go to the microwave and heat it up for 2 minutes ( longer if you want it softer ). This version is also very good and quick to make when you're rushing to work 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

Interesting. You could also just add the uncooked oats to the milk and eggs then use the batter to make pancakes and slice the banana on the top.

Best Answer

@KSS2 I gave it a go this morning 🙂 It's important to find right proportions between oats and milk but it actually came out nice. I added a banana to the batter and topped a pancake with a Greek yoghurt with chopped strawberries 🙂 So yep, here's another idea for making oats more interesting 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes
😋

Sent from my Sony Xperia™ smartphone
Best Answer
0 Votes

I make overnight oats and love them! I use 1/2 cup oats, 1/2 almond milk, and go from there.  I like to add about 1 Tbsp brown sugar, 1 or 2 tsp maple syrup, cinnamon, and a few drops of vanilla extract.  Put them in a sealed jar or plastic container overnight (or a few hours) and you'll have a lovely breakfast waiting for you in the morning. Just warm up in the microwave for a minute or two.  You can add nuts (toasted almonds are nice), fruit, chocolate chips... anything you like.  Much better than packet oatmeal.  

Best Answer

I hate oatmeal for that reason . I found if you do the overnight ones they are way better to eat .   you can get homemade ones on line or buy the one severing ones at the store . They are good.. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've found that oatmeal is the best way for me to lose weight.  It "sticks to my ribs" and when I combine it with drinking stout coffee, the transformation has been amazing.  I've lost 65 lbs in 11 months eating oatmeal once a day.  I've found that traditional breakfast foods--eggs, bacon, sausage, pancakes, etc--don't last very long and I get hungry pretty quickly.  So oatmeal is my best friend! 

My special recipe is: one cup old-fashioned Quaker Oats oatmeal, 1/8 teaspoon salt, two heaping tablespoons of brown sugar.  Add water to the consistency you like it--either thin oatmeal or thick--.  I like mine medium thick.  I microwave it for 2.5 minutes, then I add 1/8 cup of whipping cream.  Then I divide it into two portions. I eat one when I make it and then the rest goes in the fridge for the next day.  Sometimes I pre-mix the dry ingredients in a Cool Whip bowl.  I make three bowls which equals six breakfasts.  Of course, the lid goes on it and it can sit in the cupboard until I'm ready to add water and cream.     

Best Answer

I like to add some cereal with raisins + walnuts with a little honey + milk.    

Best Answer
0 Votes

I find taste is greatly improved if I reduce the oatmeal portion by 25% and replace it with bacon.  Then, reduce it another 75% and replace it with eggs over chicken-fried steak.

But if, hypothetically, I was forced at the point of a bayonet to eat oatmeal, I would layer on a thinly sliced half of banana (not over-ripe), blueberries, crunchy granola, sprinkled with cinnamon, and drizzled with fresh honey (preferably from orange blossoms).  This improves oatmeal so that it is almost edible.

Best Answer

I eat the low sugar oatmeal often.  The "weight loss" oatmeal does not taste good to me.  Nevertheless, I add blueberries to my oatmeal and use Almond Milk.  I have substituted Almond Milk for oatmeal and cereal.  Saves calories and can't tell the difference. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I bought Irish Oatmeal, steel oats.  I cook it with water and add raisins, hazelnut milk and crushed nuts. Honey is optional.  It is great!

Best Answer
0 Votes

try some blue berrys and walnuts .very tasty and you get that grunch from the walnuts.

Best Answer
0 Votes