Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to make oatmeal taste better?

I bought some Apple & Cinnamon oatmeal, and I just ate a packet. It tastes way mooshy. It needs something sturdy to it, or something crunchy added. I also wouldn't mind being able to add chocolate to the oatmeal or something Smiley Happy

Best Answer
430 REPLIES 430

Good morning!

I really like adding almond slivers to mine and dried craisens to give some texture to it too. I use to hate oatmeal since it had no texture other than mush, so I agree very much with that. For a little extra strong flavor, I add protein, pumpkin spice, instant coffee (life changer), and splenda.

If you like it chocolately, add cacoa powder (the baking stuff with nothing in it) and some milk or splenda! They also making stuff like PB2 and Fitmix with chocolate and peanut butter in it. Super good and not much for the extra calories category!

Hope this helps!

PS: Make your oatmeal as overnight oats (let it sit in the fridge to soak up water overnight) or add boiling water to soak instead of microwaving it. It'll keep it from being complete mush. You'll still be able to taste/feel the oats rather than pudding.

PPS: Try steel cut oats (they serve these for their oatmeal at Starbucks). They have more texture but take longer to be ready.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I add PB2 and a little honey.  I prefer super crunchy peanut butter and a little honey, but PB2 is less calories and fat.  

Best Answer
Sounds good!

Sent from my Verizon 4G LTE Droid
Best Answer
0 Votes

I add Apple slices or pecan and raisin Salad Toppers. Yum!

Charge HR, Charge 3, Charge 4
Best Answer

Brilliant

Best Answer
0 Votes

If you have an instant pot... 1 cup steel cut oats, 1 cup water, 1 cup milk.  I add a bit of brown sugar, maple syrup, and/or cinnamon.  Dried blueberries and walnuts for a splurge.

My two year old son doesn't like any other oatmeal now.  He just wants "Grammy oatmeal" (because that's what my mom makes for him when we're visiting)

I love oatmeal but limit myself to once a week to keep the carbs down.  Usually I'll eat it as above, plus some turkey bacon or something.

Best Answer

I cook mine in a crockpot.  I use Bob's Red Mill Steel Cut oats; double the recipe on the package.  Put diced apples, rehydrate craisins, coarsley chop walnuts. I add ground cinnamon and ground ginger.Then I have crunchy, sweet, and multiple textures.  I put the oatmeal in Rubbermaid (or similar product) container(s) and have enough for 8 days.  It heats up nicely in the microwave.

Best Answer

Carrot Cake Overnight Oats

@CRSunrise wrote:

I bought some Apple & Cinnamon oatmeal, and I just ate a packet. It tastes way mooshy. It needs something sturdy to it, or something crunchy added. I also wouldn't mind being able to add chocolate to the oatmeal or something Smiley Happy

@CRSunrise wrote:

i love her oatmeal recipes I make all my oatmeal with unsweetened almond milk and you can make all kinds of flavors

i even made my oatmeal in my instant pot

you can add walnuts, apples, cinnamon, coconut flakes and so much more to oatmeal and i do fresh fruit too

Best Answer
0 Votes

and dont ever use the packets use fresh oats not the instant ones

Best Answer
0 Votes
Best Answer
0 Votes
Am with you there!!!

Get Outlook for iOS
Best Answer
0 Votes

I have found that adding fruits like banana, apple, dates or strawberries has given mine a good flavor. Also at my house we also like to use honey for sweetness. 

Best Answer

Apples!  I cook steel cut oats in a slow cooker overnight (same water to oats proportion as stovetop) and add chopped apples (including skin).  Four hours on low.

Best Answer

I do steel cut oats overnight in a widemouth steel thermos.  I warm the thermos first then add chopped dates and pecans, pinch of salt, the oats and the appropriate amount of BOILING water.  They are hot and cooked but chewy in the morning.

@CRSunrise wrote:

Best Answer
0 Votes

I went a long time thinking oatmeal was the most bland thing to start the day off with but after finding out just how much sugar is laced into most cereals I started to experiment with oatmeal again.

I just go with the regular rolled oats 1kg bag so I can pour as much as I want (I find the small instant sachets WAY to small and end up using around 4 sachets just to get a decent size bowl which then adds up to a lot of sugar). 

But I mix in either some flax-seed, locally sourced honey or some Peanut butter and give it a stir which definitely takes the blandness out of just Oats and milk....But after eating them for so long now, I sometimes can just go for some bland oats with nothing added Smiley Tongue

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've been doing overnight oats during the summer rather than hot.  Rolled oats soaked in water (proportion 1 oats:2 water) and throwing in seeds (pumpkin and sunflower) as well as frozen berries.  The berries then thaw overnight as the oats soak.  I then add yogurt in the morning. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I agree with everyone who says to make it from scratch. Mine is ready in the time it takes to make my morning coffee. Use old fashioned rolled oats. I really recommend adding dried fruit, firmer fresh fruits and nuts before cooking it, not just sprinkling them on top later. If adding berries or soft fruit (bananas, etc.) I add them just before eating.

Place a pan on a burner and turn it on to medium.

While it's heating, quickly put the following into the pan:

- 1/2 c rolled oats

- 1 c water or milk

- 1 tbsp brown sugar

- 1 tsp cinnamon (or more, if you like - it's really good for you)

- plus any additions you like - dried fruit, nuts, etc.

Heat on medium, stirring regularly.

Don't leave the stove because it will be ready really quickly; in just a few minutes.

Remove it from the stove when it starts to go creamy but before it really thickens up.

It'll set up fast enough once it's in the bowl. 

Enjoy!

Best Answer
0 Votes
if you have a crock pot you can put it in the night before and it will be ready when you wake up! some say tou do not even have to put the crockpot on....it just sitting overnight will make it eatable, just gotta heat it up.

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
0 Votes

I was reading an "Fat Burning Foods" article yesterday and came across Pumpkin as one of them.  The Article suggested adding a spoon of Pumpkin Pulp and some Pumpkin Pie Spice to Oatmeal.  This ups the Fiber content as well.  I'm going to give that a try...but I like Oatmeal anyway - it will just be a nice change.  I also liked the suggestion below about adding a diced apple and think I will try that suggestion as well.  

Best Answer
0 Votes
please let me know how this works out for you.

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
0 Votes