Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's Time for Soup

But I think it's always time for soup.  Share your favorite recipes with me.  

Best Answer
29 REPLIES 29

To anyone who is a fan of Pho and chicken noodle soup you're gonna love this!!

Vietnamese Pho Style Chicken Noodle Soup!

What you need:

• 8 ounces boneless skinless chicken breasts
  • 1 tablespoon peanut oil
  • 2 teaspoons minced garlic
  • 2 teaspoons minced ginger (but I've found the ginger to not be 100% necessary...sometimes its more hassle than it is worth putting in there to find the dang stuff and mince it, etc)
  • 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
  • 28 ounces chicken broth (I just use powdered chicken boullion to make broth)
  • 2 tablespoons fish sauce
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
  • 2 tablespoons chopped green onions
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
  • and for those of you who like it to clear out your sinus passages...Sriracha hot sauce!

What you gotta do: 

1. Heat oil in a deep skillet (I use a wok) over medium-high heat; add chicken; garlic, ginger, and pepper flakes. (Since I'm a sucker for that burn I let some extra pepper flakes end up in the mix).

2. Cook, stirring often, for about a minute or two. You don't have to cook your chicken completely.
  3. While my chicken is cooking I start a pot of water to boil my noodles. Boil as directed on the box but subtract a minute or so. You don't want mushy noodles! After straining, make sure to rinse your pasta with cold water to stop it from cooking more and let it sit.
  4. In a separate pot, combine your broth and fish sauce and bring to a boil.
  5. Dump the contents of your skillet/wok into the boiling pot of broth and reduce temperature to a simmer for about 8 minutes or until your chicken is done. 
  6. Add your fresh herbs and noodles (you can add as little or as much as you want depending on your tastes).

This recipe can easily be doubled, triples, quadrupled even and freezes really well. I only know because I made the boyfriend a tripled amount of what this recipe calls for and his diet for 4 days after that consisted of nothing but all the soup I stuck in the freezer. 

I did do some math and it works out to be about 400 calories for two cups of soup. It fills me up for hours!

Hope this helps!
And don't forget, if it does, remember to mark your question as solved!
-A
Best Answer
0 Votes

My family LOVES this Kale Soup!  It makes about 12 one cup servings that come in at about 100 calories each.

http://sprytesplace.blogspot.com/2010/02/kale-soup.html

~Marguerite
Best Answer
0 Votes

This soup is fantastic. My family and friends virtually licked their bowls clean! Not for everyone because of the peanut butter in it, but it definitely adds to the flavour and texture. Also adds to the calories but its so filling that it can be a whole meal for me (its under 200 calories a serving according to MFP)!

Enjoy!

Serves 8-10

Autumn Sweet Potato Soup

Ingredients:
1 large onion, peeled and diced
4 cloves garlic, crushed
1.2 kg sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
500 g courgettes, sliced
8 cups chicken stock or mild vegetable stock
1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (add more for heat)
1 x 400ml Can/tub of chopped tomatoes
170g creamy peanut butter
Salt and pepper
Chopped roasted peanuts or fresh thyme leaves for garnish (optional)

Directions:
Add sweet potatoes, onions and courgettes, garlic to pan and add about 400 ml stock and sweat for 10 mins. 

Add rest of stock, thyme leaves, cumin, ginger, and cayenne. I like to use ¼ tsp of cayenne, which gives a nice spicy kick to the soup. If you’re sensitive to spice, start with 1/8 tsp and add more to taste, if desired. Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce to a light simmer for 20 minutes. 

Add chopped tomatoes to the pot. Simmer for 5-10 minutes more until the diced sweet potatoes are tender. If you are going to puree, then do this now. Stir the peanut butter into the broth until it dissolves. Remove from heat. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Add more cayenne for heat, if desired. 

Soup may be served as-is (chunky with texture), or you can puree the soup with an immersion blender for a smoother texture. Serve garnished with chopped roasted peanuts or fresh thyme leaves.

Source: http://www.joyofkosher.com/recipes/autumn-sweet-potato-soup/

Best Answer
0 Votes

Soup Ideas-  Yesterday I sauted one medium onion in some extra virgin olive oil.  Then I added 4 cups of chicken broth, a bag of peeled and sliced carrots and half a head of fresh cauliflower.  When they had a chance to cook long enough to soften, about 30 minutes, I blended it all together with my new Cuisinart Smart Stick hand blender. It made a wonderful warm, light, lunch entree.

Best Answer

Love that tomato soup recipe!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Grandmas soup/stew recipee

I have many soup recipees but I like my Grandmothers philosophy

What do you want tonight Soup or Stew?

If we said soup

1. the peices where cut up a little smaller.
  2. more liquid added
  3. the broth wasn't thickened as much

And yes it basically was the same recipee and this went for whatever type/flavor soup or should I say stew.

It was all in the size of the pieces

If you look at many of the above recipees you can see that by using this philosophy many would make a nice hearty stew

Best Answer
0 Votes

@m-m-t wrote:

Soup Ideas-  Yesterday I sauted one medium onion in some extra virgin olive oil.  Then I added 4 cups of chicken broth, a bag of peeled and sliced carrots and half a head of fresh cauliflower.  When they had a chance to cook long enough to soften, about 30 minutes, I blended it all together with my new Cuisinart Smart Stick hand blender. It made a wonderful warm, light, lunch entree.

Last week I made this recipee but used 4 cups strong brewed Ceylon Tea for the broth and Zuchini  instead of cauliflower. Everything else was the same.
I wanted it for diner so added rice, cooked in Pu-erh tea, to the bowl before serving the soup. It made a wonderful hearty soup that was good with my home made bread, and a side salad.

I used my Hamilton Stick hand blender tho.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@RedHedd wrote:
http://www.skinnytaste.com/2008/03/split-peas-soup-with-ham-2-points.html#more Just made this this past weekend and finished the pot last night. Will make it again and again and again

Great love peas soup

blackoctaupus
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello,

I have a great soup recipe.  It's easy,  uses up that left over chicken, and everyone loves it.  Chicken/Spinach Tortellini Soup:

Cut up left over chicken

4 carrots

3 celery stalks

onion

minced garlic

10 oz froz leaf spinach (thaw)

6 cups of chicken broth

2 can of creamy chicken soup (I use Campbell's- low fat; gives it a creamy texture)

bag of frozen tortillini

chop up carrots, onions, celery and sautee with garlicand favorite spices until onions turn color

pour in broth bring to boil .  

Add cut up - left over chicken

Add tortillini cook according to package

Blend the creamy chicken soup 

Add spinach 

simmer and serve with fresh italian bread.  A major hit with the kids.

Best Answer
0 Votes

That recipe sounds like the perfect rainy day meal! @PaulaFontaine I have to try it Cat Wink

Fitbit Community ModeratorHelena A. | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was this helpful? Yay! If it was, please vote for it or mark this as a solution. Show us!

Best Answer
0 Votes