Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lunch ideas, please!

ANSWERED

I am starting a new job and there is no fridge or microwave.  I would love some lunch ideas.  I do have a thermos and some ice packs. 🙂

Thanks!

Best Answer
9 BEST ANSWERS

Accepted Solutions

If you are looking for a light lunch to pack in a thermos try mushing a large banana in a bowl, adding a tsp of ground cinnamon quills, a tsp of ground vanilla pods, and a tsp of ground carob seed. Then pour the amount of boiling water to fit your thermos. Easy a light tasty, healthy and warm berverage to keep you going from lunch time till knock off.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer

nut butter can be kept unrefridgerated (peanut butter on whole grain) along with cut up fruit and veggies.  Canned tuna works and just make the tuna fish when you open the can, not before. With a thermos, soups and broths are possible.  Homemade soups (leftovers) are what we have lots of at our house. 

Best Answer

Salads (with oil/vinegar on the side) 
String cheese, nuts, olives and crackers
Spaghetti ( with spaghetti squash)
Any homemade soup or stew
fajita / taco innards; meat and veggies  - keep tortillas, cheese separate

Goals: Low Carb, high fat, 70-20-10 .... lose 20 pounds by 6/2017

Best Answer

Since you have a thermos, you should be able to bring anything that you would normally microwave for lunch, with the exception of frozen meals.  And who wants to eat those anyway?? 🙂  Just temper your thermos with some boiling water before you add your warmed up lunch to it.  This should keep your lunch warm until you are ready to eat it.  This opens it up to leftovers from the night before, soups, pastas, hot cereal, etc.  If you don't want to mess around with the thermos, some things that keep well in my cooler bag are hardboiled eggs, cheese sticks, crackers, sliced veggies and hummus, nut butters, tuna.  You also have the standard sandwiches and salads. 

I have been bringing my lunch to work for several years now.  If you need more ideas shoot me a message. 

Best Answer

You may want to invest in a decent lunch cooler with some extra ice packs to bring to work so you can pack cold foods like salad, etc! My daily lunch usually consists of 4 cups of an iceberg/romaine lettuce mixture with some shredded cheese, a few croutons, and some light salad dressing. I get these delicious flatbreads that are only 90 calories a piece and wrap some turkey with cheese and some spicy mustard. I bring some pretzel sticks to snack on during those "in-between hungries" that can occasionally find their way in between my breakfast and lunch and lunch time and closing time. (ie: before dinner). The no microwave thing kinda stinks! Is there a way to maybe have everyone chip in to get one or suggest it to the higher ups? That's also an idea! Congrats on the new job too!!

Hope this helps!
And don't forget, if it does, remember to mark your question as solved!
-A

Best Answer

I bring an apple or two with me most days, and sometimes yogurt or a small wedge of cheese or a thin sliced pBJ sandwich. If I pack a salad, I usually pack 3/4 cup mixed greens, 1/2 tomato in chunks, a bit of apple cut in bite sized pieces, and maybe throw on some olives or other healthy fat, or add a little bit of lean meat, if I feel like it, and no or little dressing. If you increase the flavor you dont miss the dressing. 

I also have a little mini croc pot that I heat soups and left overs in. At the end of the day I take the inner tin cup like thing home, wash it, fill it and bring it back. About an hour or so before lunch, I pop it in the crock and heat it up.

Best Answer

The mini crock is a nice change of pace when I want something hot. I keep a few cans of soup in my desk for days I did not bring anything from home but dont have time to run out, and I also keep some of those individual cereal bowl things - like cheerios - on my shelf. There is a small fridge down the hall where we can keep drinks, so I bring in a little container of milk sometimes too. But I can eat the cereal dry if I don't have any milk and dont have time for lunch. Makes a good snack after an apple or some carrots.

Another person down the hall keeps candy and crackers and things, but they just make me hungrier, and start the sugar/salt/fat cravings. I got the crock after someone else at work showed me hers. It is small enough to fit in a desk drawer or on a bookshelf, and was pretty reasonable. Its also nice that the inner part of it can be taken home and washed, as there is no kitchen at work, and washing things in the bathroom sink has NO appeal. 

Best Answer

I keep in my desk drawer containers with mixed nuts, dry cereal and crackers.  These are great for morning or afternoon snacks.  I also try to have some fruit on hand for the munchies.

the girl at the desk next to me is constantly snacking on chocolates, chips, lollies etc but with my stash of goodies I am not tempted.

As someone suggestd, get a good cooler bag with an ice brick and really there is no limit to what you can bring for lunch.  I go camping regulary & all we have is an esky with ice and never have a problem with keeping stuff cold.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hard boiled eggs, nuts, an orange or clementine, grapes, an apple, some sliced turkey, ham or chicken... these are all great lunch items that my husband and I love.

Best Answer
0 Votes
50 REPLIES 50

If you are looking for a light lunch to pack in a thermos try mushing a large banana in a bowl, adding a tsp of ground cinnamon quills, a tsp of ground vanilla pods, and a tsp of ground carob seed. Then pour the amount of boiling water to fit your thermos. Easy a light tasty, healthy and warm berverage to keep you going from lunch time till knock off.

Best Answer

nut butter can be kept unrefridgerated (peanut butter on whole grain) along with cut up fruit and veggies.  Canned tuna works and just make the tuna fish when you open the can, not before. With a thermos, soups and broths are possible.  Homemade soups (leftovers) are what we have lots of at our house. 

Best Answer
Thanks so much! I am glad I asked. Need all the inspiration I can get. 🙂

Andrea
Best Answer

Salads (with oil/vinegar on the side) 
String cheese, nuts, olives and crackers
Spaghetti ( with spaghetti squash)
Any homemade soup or stew
fajita / taco innards; meat and veggies  - keep tortillas, cheese separate

Goals: Low Carb, high fat, 70-20-10 .... lose 20 pounds by 6/2017
Best Answer
Good ideas- I think I am set!

Andrea
Best Answer
0 Votes

If your looking for cooking ideas based around natural food just send me a message (smiles).

Best Answer
0 Votes

Since you have a thermos, you should be able to bring anything that you would normally microwave for lunch, with the exception of frozen meals.  And who wants to eat those anyway?? 🙂  Just temper your thermos with some boiling water before you add your warmed up lunch to it.  This should keep your lunch warm until you are ready to eat it.  This opens it up to leftovers from the night before, soups, pastas, hot cereal, etc.  If you don't want to mess around with the thermos, some things that keep well in my cooler bag are hardboiled eggs, cheese sticks, crackers, sliced veggies and hummus, nut butters, tuna.  You also have the standard sandwiches and salads. 

I have been bringing my lunch to work for several years now.  If you need more ideas shoot me a message. 

Best Answer

You may want to invest in a decent lunch cooler with some extra ice packs to bring to work so you can pack cold foods like salad, etc! My daily lunch usually consists of 4 cups of an iceberg/romaine lettuce mixture with some shredded cheese, a few croutons, and some light salad dressing. I get these delicious flatbreads that are only 90 calories a piece and wrap some turkey with cheese and some spicy mustard. I bring some pretzel sticks to snack on during those "in-between hungries" that can occasionally find their way in between my breakfast and lunch and lunch time and closing time. (ie: before dinner). The no microwave thing kinda stinks! Is there a way to maybe have everyone chip in to get one or suggest it to the higher ups? That's also an idea! Congrats on the new job too!!

Hope this helps!
And don't forget, if it does, remember to mark your question as solved!
-A
Best Answer

I bring an apple or two with me most days, and sometimes yogurt or a small wedge of cheese or a thin sliced pBJ sandwich. If I pack a salad, I usually pack 3/4 cup mixed greens, 1/2 tomato in chunks, a bit of apple cut in bite sized pieces, and maybe throw on some olives or other healthy fat, or add a little bit of lean meat, if I feel like it, and no or little dressing. If you increase the flavor you dont miss the dressing. 

I also have a little mini croc pot that I heat soups and left overs in. At the end of the day I take the inner tin cup like thing home, wash it, fill it and bring it back. About an hour or so before lunch, I pop it in the crock and heat it up.

Best Answer

Make a batch of Taco Soup

1 can mexicorn

1 can fat free refried beans

1 small jar salsa

1 can blackbeans rinsed

1 can chicken broth

1 large can of chicken

1 envelope of taco seasoning or make your own

Mix all together and heat..  Very filling, a little spicy and easy!!

Also google weight watchers potato soup.  Its really yummy too.

Best Answer

Thank you very much for the offer.  I may just take you up on that. 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

Those are good options.  I am glad I had the thermos.  Also glad that I won't buy as many lunches.  I didn't think about tempering the thermos though.  Great suggestion.  Thanks!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you!  I might suggest getting some way to heat things, once I am not so new. 🙂  I am looking into a nice insulated lunch bag.  That way I have room for snacks, etc.

I am going to check out flat breads, that sounds yummy!

Thanks again!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I saw the little crockpots in the store and wondered if that might be a viable option.  In the winter time, I really like having warm lunch- even if it is just some broth.  And I do have a storage place to keep it.

Thanks!

Best Answer
0 Votes

The mini crock is a nice change of pace when I want something hot. I keep a few cans of soup in my desk for days I did not bring anything from home but dont have time to run out, and I also keep some of those individual cereal bowl things - like cheerios - on my shelf. There is a small fridge down the hall where we can keep drinks, so I bring in a little container of milk sometimes too. But I can eat the cereal dry if I don't have any milk and dont have time for lunch. Makes a good snack after an apple or some carrots.

Another person down the hall keeps candy and crackers and things, but they just make me hungrier, and start the sugar/salt/fat cravings. I got the crock after someone else at work showed me hers. It is small enough to fit in a desk drawer or on a bookshelf, and was pretty reasonable. Its also nice that the inner part of it can be taken home and washed, as there is no kitchen at work, and washing things in the bathroom sink has NO appeal. 

Best Answer

I keep in my desk drawer containers with mixed nuts, dry cereal and crackers.  These are great for morning or afternoon snacks.  I also try to have some fruit on hand for the munchies.

the girl at the desk next to me is constantly snacking on chocolates, chips, lollies etc but with my stash of goodies I am not tempted.

As someone suggestd, get a good cooler bag with an ice brick and really there is no limit to what you can bring for lunch.  I go camping regulary & all we have is an esky with ice and never have a problem with keeping stuff cold.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hard boiled eggs, nuts, an orange or clementine, grapes, an apple, some sliced turkey, ham or chicken... these are all great lunch items that my husband and I love.

Best Answer
0 Votes

This taco soup sounds absolutely YUMMY!!

Thank you!!

Best Answer

You are welcome. I found it one the boards and am going to give it a go.

Mod Edit: Removed personal information

Best Answer
0 Votes