Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

'Meals' completely different in app from website

I'm not sure if there's something obvious I'm missing here but when I create a 'Meal' on the website to add to my food log, I put in the correct amounts of each food, the calories etc.

If I add the Meal to the food log via the website everything is fine.

But when I try to add the meal through the app, the portion size is almost always doubled, meaning the calories are doubled, and I'm not able to edit the serving size - it just says '1 Meal' and won't let me edit.

Am I missing something obvious here? I want to have a 'Meal' option for things that I eat regularly, but if the app isn't going to be accurate about it, what's the point?

Best Answer
15 REPLIES 15

Can you?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Tuckson if you have information to share, why not just post it here so that everyone may benefit? 

Community Council Member

Amanda | Wyoming, USA
Pixel Watch 2, Inspire 3, Sense | Android

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm guessing they don't have an answer and are some kind of scammer

Best Answer

@PurrPrinThom that's probably true. 

Can you tell me whether you're using the Android or iOS app please? 

Community Council Member

Amanda | Wyoming, USA

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm using the Android app.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @PurrPrinThom -- I haven't used food logging for a while, and I'm on iOS, but I do have some 'meals' set up on the website - but I wonder if I've set them up the same way as you. I just logged one of them "toast with cream cheese" using the app (shows up under custom when I hit the + to log), but instead of posting as a 'meal' in the log, it posts as the ingredients (ie, an entry for the bread and an entry for the cream cheese). Portions and calorie count are correct for me doing it that way. 

Scott | Baltimore MD

Charge 6; Inspire 3; Luxe; iPhone 13 Pro

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yeah that's how mine appears in both the app and the website as well: the individual ingredients appear in the log after posting the meal. I'll try and explain with specific examples, haha.

One of the 'meals' I've made is my usual breakfast of granola/fruit/yoghurt etc. If I go into the custom meal the values are what they should be: 60 grams of oats, 75 grams of yoghurt etc. If I add the 'meal' through the website, then 60 grams of oats, 75 grams of yoghurt etc. are added to my food log.

If I go into the app, and try to add the meal (by going to the 'Custom' tab and selecting it,) then my only option to add is '1 meal.' I cannot change the value or the type. It has to be 1 meal. But if I do this, and add it into the app, then I have 120 grams of oats, 150 grams of yoghurt etc. and then I have to go through and manually change all of them - which is rather annoying.

Best Answer

Hmm. I've been talking to a few other CC members who have Android, and they can't see the meals they have create at all on the app, which is a different problem that what you've got.

But I'm still wondering if you and I are seeing the same behavior.  When I select the meal in iOS, it uses the same portions of ingredients I set it up with (in my example above a bread entry that was about 100 Kcal and a similar amount for cream cheese for a total of 200 Kcal). If I understand your example, when logging on that in the Android app it would double weight and calorie count for each item such that the total Kcal would go 200 to 400 Kcal, right? And the only fix is to adjust each of the items after logging.

An issue I thought you might be having (almost as aggravating!) is the inability to log a 1/2 or some other fraction portion (such as 1.5) of a meal. For example, I have a seven item standard salad set as a meal that totals about 500 Kcal. If I only eat half of it, when logging there is no option to log just 1/2 the meal. So to adjust I have to go through after logging and adjust each individual item by 1/2. I think that issue is just a shortcoming of Fitbit's food logging system.

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer
0 Votes

Actually both issues are one and the same for me! When trying to add the meal in the app, all of the portions and calories are doubled, and because - like you - I cannot log a fraction of a meal, I can't just set it to be .5 of a meal (therefore halving the portion/calories to the accurate amount) and instead have to edit everything individually.

Best Answer

A number of third party apps link to Fitbit and some have logging features that Fitbit does not. I use MyFitnessPal which does allow fractional entry of meals/recipes- at least in the paid version I use. 

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer

@PurrPrinThom I am using the android app too, but I haven't been able to replicate your issue. Do you know if you are using the most recent version of the Fitbit app? If not,  I am not suggesting that you update the app. I have the newest app version and it isn't working correctly either. 

Community Council Member

Amanda | Wyoming, USA

Best Answer
0 Votes

I do not have any available updates for the app, so I assume it's the most recent version.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@PurrPrinThom thank you for confirming that. I was not able to replicate your issue previously, but I can now. I will escalate this with Fitbit and see if we can get it resolved. Thanks for your patience. 

Community Council Member

Amanda | Wyoming, USA

Best Answer

I have a related problem in that I have deleted a meal from the dashboard but it still appears in my custom food list in my app (android).

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yeah the app and the dashboard don't seem to be synced very well. It's pretty frustrating.

Best Answer