Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Naturally lowered Cholesterol from 271 to 179!!!

I've been going to the same doctor every 6 months for over 15 years. Each time my cholesterol was always in the 240's and higher. My mother and father both have high cholesterol, so he insisted that it was hereditary and there was no way I could bring it down without statins. So, I went vegan for 8 months from 11/2019 - 7/2020 and I was only able to bring it down to 215 and I was disappointed, but I went from 250lbs to 199lbs... an amazing feat!!

Fast forward to March 2022, I now weighed 225 lbs. and my cholesterol was now 271 (YIKES) and I was about to turn 40 the following month. I had to do something, I felt like my time was ticking to something catastrophic. I quit smoking marijuana, I haven't had alcohol in years, and I stopped eating red meat (with the exception of a burger once a month). I've always eaten tons of fruits and vegetables, so that was nothing for me to continue doing, I would eat fish/chicken sparingly throughout the week... maybe twice, and I would continue to eat eggs 5-6x/week. Most importantly is that I started doing VIGIROUS cardio (30-35 minutes, 6x/week), but I only started doing the cardio on August 4th.

When I had my bloodwork August 30th, I didn't think much of how much lower my cholesterol could've been in this short amount of time... what? Maybe it'd go down 15 points, I'd be lucky to for it to be below 240. Well, the results came in the following day, it was 179!!! HOLY COW!!! I was blown away to say the least and my doctor was speechless!!! I am now 211 lbs. and now more than ever, I'm committed to the changes I have made. I've had ZERO urges to go back to my old habits.

If you're still reading this, thank you. I know it's a lot, but I felt like I had to get this abbreviated story out there and just let anyone know that cholesterol is NOT hereditary, and you can bring it down without the use of meds!!

Best Answer
5 REPLIES 5

Wow @Dro419 , that is amazing. I know a grandmother who could eat anything and cholesterol was never a concern. Loved beef, used bacon grease in everything for flavor, as an old time country cook. Now the grandson (about 60 I think) doesn't eat meat unless it's the weekend. Unfortunately, they love chocolate, eat a two pack of Reece's peanut butter cups daily as a snack. This person is active and hikes, bikes, stays in shape with their activities, but despite eating better, the cholesterol is quite high. So if it was hereditary, the grandson would have healthier test results.

I think we all have the ability to change our test results, but it does take some hard work. You did it and it's inspiring to read. Who knows how many of us will benefit from the sharing of it. Thank you.

Stepping in the U.S.A. since September 2013. Android 14

Best Answer

This is encouraging. Thx for the share.

Best Answer
0 Votes

so between March and August the only reach changes you did was the cardio? How did your HDL change (the good one)? How did your non-hdl change? Do you have high triglyzerides? were they effected?

Best Answer
0 Votes

March / August

Triglycerides -     94  / 115

HDL               -    57 /  52

LDL               -    193 / 106

Non HDL       -    214 / 127

Vigorous cardio was probably the biggest change I did, but how much did smoking MJ affect my cholesterol? (we know smoking cigs isn't good, MJ can't be that far off). I also cut off red meat and there are a few days in a week that I won't eat any meat at all. I think the whole of these changes is greater than the sum of each one. I now weigh 203 and have kept up with the same changes, so I expect my next test to be just as good.

Best Answer

Great stuff there! Keep up the great work!

Best Answer
0 Votes