Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paleo or Zone?

My CrossFit coaches are challenging our group to do a Paleo or Zone challenge. Each participant in the class is asked to choose one of the two methods for a 30-day trial to see how it goes. I believe the hope is to be able to stick to one of these plans long-term for the obvious benefits they offer.

As I have done a small amount of research today, it seems as though I've already had myself on what would amount to a modified zone plan since I started getting serious about eating right and working out on December 8. Since that time I have lost 21.6 (not leaving off that .6!) pounds and am now just 1.4 pounds from my goal weight. It won't be long — I'm hoping by the end of this week — that I'm at my goal and can then focus on maintenance and adding muscle.

I know very little to nothing about Paleo and not a lot about zone. Since what I've been doing on my own is essentially zone to a degree, should I choose zone for this challenge? What are the differences between the two? Would there be any reason for me to jump on the Paleo bandwagon over the Zone bandwagon?

Best Answer
0 Votes
7 REPLIES 7

whoops. posted twice. Smiley Tongue 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I think it depends on a few things. My family follows a modified paleo style diet, and it really works for us. It is more free-form than zone, allowing more flexability to choose foods, and is less strict about times you eat, and ratios, which are really hard to track with a family! We choose to be wheat free, dairy free, but we do eat rice and quinoa, which technically aren't paleo, but both have protein which wheat doesn't. My husband has allergies to wheat and lactose, which is why we started Paleo, but it has helped everyone with thier moods and energy levels. I like Paleo. I like the wide range of foods, the flexability of the diet, and the fact that there are more resources for out there(in my opinion) for creating recipes.

So, ultimately, if you need the structure, and no wiggle room to stay on track, you might want to choose zone, but if you like a bit more freedom, go Paleo. And I hope you truly enjoy your diet, whichever you choose to go with!

Best Answer

Thank you @Fallon.

Can you give me an example of what your family's typical day of food looks like? Also, what foods — if any — do you now "deprive" yourself of that you miss? Deprivation probably isn't the right word. But are there non-Paleo approved foods that you miss?

I get confused because I hear from one corner that Zone is "too restrictive" and then I hear from the other camp that Paleo is "too restrictive." I'm doing futher research to help figure it all out. I very well may just keep doing exactly what I've been doing until I plateau.

But if I decide to join the challenge it isn't for weight loss (I should meet my goal this week), it's for health, nutritional benefits and energy, etc. That's part of why I can't decide which option is better for me personally.

Thank you for taking the time to briefly explain your family's Paleo experience.

Best Answer
0 Votes

for me personally, i do a low carb, modified paleo (i eat full fat dairy and cheese).  i've been fortunate in that my wife is on board for the most part.  she's more of an 80/20 paleo.

as for the food we don't eat anymore, i miss sushi rice the most.  mainly because the place 5 minutes from my office has the absolute best rolls and sashimi i've ever had in my life.

if what you're doing works for you and you have plenty of energy and feel good, i don't know if there's any real reason to change.

LCHF since June 2013
Best Answer

Thanks @carl669. I tend to agree. I might just gracefully not take part in the challenge group!

Best Answer
0 Votes

A typical day for our family starts with an egg scramble with coconut oil, lots of veggies and usually another protien source, meat, quinoa, rice or beans. (We aren't "true" paleo, we are really more wheat/dairy free) we usually drink almond milk with our meal. At snack we make a smoothie with a variety of frozen fruits,  a couple scoops of a plant based protien powder and coconut yogurt. We use a vitamix and often throw an apple in, or a handful of spinach, which I wouldn't recommend in a regular blender. For lunch we like chiken salad most often wrapped in lettuce, or occasionally in those coconut flour wraps. I like to add a piece of fruit on the side, and my husband usually adds something carby like sweet potatoes or carrot, as he works out a lot more than the rest of us. At dinner I love roasted chicken and veggies, or zucchini noodles with meat sauce. For a general snack throughout the day we love our trail mix, with all the dried fruits and raw nuts we can find at costco, and beef jerky cut into bite size pieces. 

I can see how people would see paleo as super restrictive, which is one of the reasons we don't follow it strictly. Plus, I am not fond of "fad" diets. Like you, we want to be healthier, and move away from processed foods, and for us, live with food allergies. This works the best for us, right now. I hope you can find a diet that meets your dietary needs and is still fun for you! I have really enjoyed learning to cooknew foods and finding recipes my wholefamily can enjoy! 

I would say that my husband, who does personal training,  does often find it difficult to get all the calories he needs, which does result in sports bars that he consumes in addition to our diet. I am always surprised by just how much food he truly needs!

Best Answer

Thanks for the insight!

Best Answer
0 Votes