Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Soup Enthusiast

I've started becoming a real soup enthusiast! If you have any ideas for me to try, I'd love for you to post them here. My favorite soups involve vegetables and a chicken broth or tomato sauce base. (And soups involving carbs are fin for me, as long as they're healthy).  

So, if you have any ideas, I'd love to see them!

Smiley Wink

Best Answer
18 REPLIES 18

@SunriseRun171  I love soup, too. If you're in a hurry and want something think V-8. If you get the low sodium V-8 and use that as your base, you're halfway there. I grab any leftovers in the fridge and even put in salad fixings that are getting old, like the spinach sitting back in the far back of the bin.

I don't have any special recipe to share, but now I want soup! Hmmm.....got to go check the fridge for ingredients.

Glad you're with us Fitbitnewbie. Thanks for starting this thread.

Stepping in the U.S.A. since September 2013. Android 14

Best Answer

We love soup at our house.  Unfortunately since my husband really needs to watch his sodium intake since he is a CHF patient, finding good low sodium soup recipes is difficult.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Many thanks.

Best Answer

Check out Skinnytaste.com  chicken **ahem**ake mushroom soup, it's great.

http://www.gimmesomeoven.com/ham-cabbage-soup-cookbook-giveaway/    Great cabbage soup

and my latest favorite, blackeye pea jambalaya with lots of flavor;

http://www.diabeticlivingonline.com/recipe/black-eyed-pea-jambalaya

Best Answer

chicken **ahem**ake mushroom soup,   Good grief, it's a type of mushroom.

Best Answer
0 Votes

LOVE SOUP!

One I've been making when the cold weather decides to show is a potato, kale (or spinach- whichever looks better) and spicy Italian sausage soup. It's kind of like the Olive Garden one, but in my opinion it's way better!

Best Answer

Best is home made soup then you can control what goes in. But, Amy's Tomato Bisque and Amy's Lentil soups are great for store bought. I like to make just vegetable soups using tomato sauce and add 2-3 kinds of  beans (saute in their own juices onions, garlic, celery, some fresh or frozen mixed veggies. tomato sauce and cook, then simmer. Lasts several servings. 

Best Answer

I love soups also, but it might be because I'm too darn cheap to throw away perfectly good bones without using them again!

Some favorites - 

Sausage soup: brown sausage (loose or sliced) and add to pot with chicken stock & quinoa. Boil until quinoa is done and add spinach or chard and cook briefly then serve.

Kale & Bean soup: Heat a can of diced tomatoes plus a can of water with italian seasoning and dash of red pepper. Add bite sized kale and cook until kale is softened. Add cannelini beans and cook until warmed through. Top bowls with optional shaved parmesean.

Best Answer

The best soup that I have had lately is a sausage soup and it is very easy to make how much you want.

Best Answer
0 Votes

The best soup that I have had lately is a sausage soup and it is very easy to make how much you want.

* Skin Turkey Sausage links

* Saute in a TBL of olive oil

* Add in diced onion and garlic

* Add in low sodium chicken broth (I like Kitchen Basics)

* Sprinkle with crushed red pepper, basil and parsley

* Bring to a simmer

* Add in diced sweet potato

* When sweet potato is just about cooked, add in shredded Kale

* Cook 5 more minutes

Enjoy!

Best Answer

Any of the soups at gimmiesomeoven are great.  My fav is the chicken enchilada soup (not the cheesy one).  At 340 cal per serving, it is great.  In fact I'm eating some right now for lunch

Best Answer
0 Votes

I hate tin can soup cuz it tastes like tin can~~~~

Easy Mex Soup

can of chili (i use vegie)

a envelope of taco seasoning

some chix broth

can of diced jalos

cilantro

I add whatsever in the fridge, sauteed onion, garlic, a half can of light beer, stewed tomatoes, salsa, corn---you get the idea~~~

Best Answer
0 Votes

If you're in a hurry this is a good one: 

noodles (those that look like a nest are the best for this)

2 Tomatoes

1 Tsp of onion

1 Tsp of sweet pepper.

2 Tsp of olive oil.

salt and pepper. 

On a blender add 1 1/2 cup of water, the tomatoes, onion and sweet . Blend for 1 minute and reserve. On a pot add the olive oil and the noodles, (break the noodles previously) fry them until they get a golden color. Add the previous mix the salt and the pepper and let it cook for about 15 minutes. If you want, you can add sausage while frying the noodles.  I hope you like it!

Fitbit Community ModeratorVivian | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Did this help you? Help others by marking it as a solution! 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi guys, I've been exercising and following a healthy diet for 8 months now and have managed to lose 70 lbs but I've been at a standstill for a few weeks now so I decided to get a fitbit one to help get over this hump 🙂  Anyway, as far as the soups go, I have a facebook page for healthy, clean eating and I have a few really good soups on there, it's https://www.facebook.com/groups/HeatlhyEatingForLife/.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Love soup here. We bought a soupmaker in January and make soup at least 3x a week now. The best we've had is soooo simple - frozen peas, ham and mint. Delicious and easy!
Best Answer
0 Votes

If you are serious about soup, look into getting a pressure cooker (or alternatively a slow cooker).  They both make effortless and delicious soup.  I have switched to the pressure cooker route.  In 45 minutes I can have 2 quarts of chicken, vegetable, barley soup.  As a matter of fact, that is what is in the pressure cooker right now.

Best Answer
Best Answer

I made a delicious soup this evening....very simple...it was spinach & tortellini. 

Saute some garlic in olive oil,

Add 3 cups of water.

Add 2 cups chicken broth.

Bring to boil. Reduce to simmer.

Throw in a handful of spinach or a package of frozen spinach.

In a seperate pot, boil some tortellini. When al dente, add to the spinach broth.

Take off stove, season with salt and pepper.

Very easy and very healthy.

Best Answer

Soup, especially homemade, should be a mainstay for anyone trying to live a fit lifestyle - just beware of cream-based ones. Here is a favorite of mine. Quick and easy to make, with lots of good stuff in it.

Moroccan Chicken and Couscous Soup

2 T. vegetable/olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
0.25 t. cayenne
1 t. ground cumin
1.75 t. salt
0.25 t. black pepper
1-2 large sweet potato or yams, peeled and cubed
1-2 large zucchini, quartered and cubed
0.75 cup tomato puree
1 quart water
2 cups chicken broth
0.5 cups couscous

In stew pot, heat oil and cook onion about 5 minutes over medium heat. Increase heat, add chicken, cayenne, cumin, salt and pepper. Cook about 2-3 minutes while stirring. Add tomato puree, water and broth. Bring to boil and then reduce to a simmer. Cook 10 minutes. Add sweet potato, zucchini. Cook for 5 minutes. Add couscous, simmer additional 10-15 minutes until couscous is done but not mushy. Remove from heat. Cover and let stand 2-5 minutes before serving.

Servings: 8         Serving Size: 2 Cups        Calories per Serving: 250

Note: Chicken breasts can be used instead of chicken thighs for a slightly lower calorie version.

Note: If you don’t have puree on hand, substitute a 6 oz can of tomato paste and add an additional 2 cups of broth.

Note: If you like spicier food, add more cayenne and cumin. Feel free to cut the salt down by up to half.

Best Answer
0 Votes