Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stomach pains when eating in a caloric deficit

Hi everyone. This is my first post.

I've started changing my diet a week ago. I just started monitoring my calories and ate at a caloric deficit. I focused on eating food that are great sources of protein like chicken and peanuts because I want to increase my muscle mass while burning fat. I lift weights 4-5 times a day (i mean a week) even before changing my diet and as recent as two weeks ago I started running on a treadmill - fun for a bit but gets boring fast, so I switched to aerobic exercises for my cardio.

I'm a 24 year old guy (just turning 24 this April actually), i'm 5'11" and I weigh 180 pounds (i'm surprised i'm technically overweight according to my BMI even though i'm more or less flabby)

It's been a week and a half ever since I've started eating on a range of 1200-1400 calories a day, but for the past 3 days I've been having stomach pains that's been getting worse by the day. I've been to the company clinic and they gave me Butylscopolamine to treat it - it didn't do the job, and earlier I asked for some Antacids because my mom thinks I have hyperacidity - I told her I don't drink coffee or anything like that, but still.

My stomach always hurt in a way (because I was hungry) but this is different. It still cramps after I eat, during workout, and sometimes before I sleep.

I guess the reason why I'm posting is I want to know if anyone here experienced a similar thing when just starting out to eat in a deficit. I'm wondering if this is because i'm technically still hungry, or if I have sugar withdrawal or something (not even really into sweets, don't know why i've thought of this)

Any recommendation would be of great help to me. Hope to hear your suggestions.

Best Answer
0 Votes
25 REPLIES 25

@Mithras,

I'm reading between the lines here. You said you increased proteins in the form of chicken and nuts. Did you at the same time decrease carbs like potatoes, rice, bread, etc., and vegetables?

When most people say they have a stomach ache, they point to an area below there sternum or ribs. This is the large intestine and not the stomach. Are your pains here? Do they feel better when you lay on your right side?

Regardless of your answers, the most likely cure is to avoid animal products, especially dairy, for a couple weeks. If you won't give up meat, at least give up the dairy as that's the most likely culprit. 

Medications are not useful without eliminating the cause. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I’ll comment on your goal vs. your intake: a dude your age and your size is not going to build a lot of muscle on 1200-1400 calories. If you’re reasonably active, you’re probably burning twice that amount. With such an intake, your primary goal should be fat loss. The weight lifting will be for minimizing loss of lean mass. 

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

@GershonSurge

Thanks for clarifying. I did decrease carbs by eating less rice and bread. I ate a cup of fruit salad yesterday though... uh, is that a bad thing... I suppose?

The pain isn't on the ribs, that's for sure. Laying on my right doesn't seem to do anything.

avoiding animal products is a good answer. Do you have some recommended veggies perhaps?

Thanks for the answer.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Dominique

Thanks for the comment, i'll keep lifting weights to minimize loss. I suppose i'll focus on bulking in the future.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Mithras

I get stomache pains and sick when I don't eat enough fibre. I am very sensitive to that. The advised amount is 30 grams a day, but I always try to eat more than that. Make sure that you are still getting enough fibre as there is none in animal products. You might want to add plant based protein to your diet like beans, lentils etc.

Karolien | The Netherlands

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Esya

I've been thinking about that, Maybe I do need more fiber. I ate beans for breakfast this morning. Do you recommend oatmeal as well? I'm craving for oatmeal all of a sudden. For some reason.

Thank you for the tip. I didn't even seriously considered my fiber intake before your post.

Best Answer
0 Votes

My first recommendation would be to see your doctors. I don't know what your diet was like before, but if animal foods didn't bother you then, they probably aren't bothering you now. There's an underlying problem that only a medical professional can help you solve.

Your height and weight, to me seems ideal. From what you describe, you just need to tone up some and eat healthier. I personally wouldn't put any stock into BMI. It always has been grossly inaccurate. I'm 5'7", 175lbs according to the BMI, I am obese. Nothing could be further from reality.

I don't know what your caloric intake was before you started, but dropping down to 1200-1400 calories a day is not a good idea. If you are active and exercising 4 - 5 days a week, you need to consume a normal diet (2000 - 2500 calories). You just need to ensure they are the right foods. I personally am not a big carb eater. I don't eliminate them, I just don't eat a lot of them.

Protein is key to building lean mass when you are lifting weights and doing your aerobic training. I hit the gym everyday, early (work types and intensity vary). I only have a cup of coffee before arriving and usually go through two to three 16oz bottles of water during my routines. One with electrolytes (too much sugar in Gatorade, and the like). When I get home I have a low carb 160 calorie protein shake. Two hours later I have my breakfast. Six scrambled egg whites w/one yolk, one slice of Boar's Head Spicy 3 Pepper Jack Cheese, half an avocado (diced, not cooked) and a whole tomato (diced, not cooked). That's about 400 calories. I eat lots of fruits, veggies, and protein sources throughout the day. I eat something at least every two hours. Nothing over 300 calories though, except dinner. Dinner is usually a beef or chicken stir fry with a veggie. Sometimes, as an example, asparagus and onions or zucchini, squash and peppers. I don't eat after 6 pm, but I do treat myself to a Atkins Indulge Protein Bar.

Sorry probably to much information there. 

Finally, one of my favorite HIIT routines is to do 10 minutes of aerobic interval training on the stationary bike, then 10 minutes of running stairs, then two 10 minutes rounds of running on the treadmill (about 1.2 miles each). Max effort for each 10 minute session. Rest as necessary, but no more than 2 to 3 minutes after each session. Of course warm up and stretching afterward go without saying. That might help with your treadmill boredom.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am not saying beans are high in fibre per se (can't remember from top of my head), but offered it as an option as it has more fibre than animal protein (all animal products have 0 fibre). I keep a stack of rice crackers handy as they are low in calories, yet high in fibre. Just Google for foods rich in fibre for ideas to fit into your diet. You might be surprised by some (like mushrooms).

Best Answer
0 Votes

Just checked my food log and oatmeal is indeed high in fibre. If your stomache pains are caused by a lack of fibre it should go away rather quickly when you start eating enough of it again. For me there is typically big improvement within a day. Otherwise you might be looking at another cause.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@PhilipY

I’ve already been to the clinic, but alright I suppose. I don’t want to go to a doctor yet to be honest but I will think on it, especially if this becomes worse.

Thanks for sharing your height and weight with me. A lot of people do recommend against relying on BMI, I suppose I used it as a base for how many calories I could take as an easy way to start. I’m more interested in burning fat at the moment, but I will increase my intake. 1400 is probably too low.

Thank you for your extensive reply. You’ve given me a lot to think about.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Esya

Thanks for looking it up for me Esya.

Got a good feeling about increasing my fiber intake. I really appreciate it.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Mithras,

Your root problem is likely some form of constipation with the possibility of some bowel irritation. At your age, these are unlikely to be serious. 

Don't go out and look for medicine for constipation. One type can cause your lower intestine to lose the ability to push stuff out. The other type can cause some people to get seriously blocked. The safest choice is to change your diet.

I suggest watching this video as a start. If you want a quick start to a probable cure, I suggest following the information in the free coloring book you can find here. It's action oriented any you won't find any of the background research.

For another visual of healthy food, check this link. Focus on the food plate on the bottom.

Eventually, someone is going to tell you people have to eat animal products to be healthy.  The answers to most questions will be in these twelve videos.

Best Answer

@GershonSurge

Thanks for getting back to me.

You... sound like a doctor. I really appreciate your advice.

I'll start watching the videos right away. Thank you very much. I didn't expect this much help from everyone here in the forums!

Best Answer

BMI  and Athletic Muscle Mass is where BMI in your case my not be a  good measure.

BMI is a good everyday indicator 

In your case I would recommend Waist Circumference Measurement to track fat loss if it is your main objective.  As well a visual assessment of your body build ie: Six Pack definition  / arms  /shoulders etc//

Those mirror in most gyms serve two legit purposes .  (Maintain Proper Lifting Form and Muscle Definition Assessment )

There a third less important use for the mirrors which involves ego booster which unfortunately the mirrors tends to be seen as the only purpose for some.Smiley Frustrated

On other  note I would pick one or the other either focus on   Reducing Fat  or Increase Muscle Mass.

Trying to do the both at the same time is counter productive. Which your stomach issues may be an indicator of your body demanding more caloric intake to meet the demands of a strength training program design to increase muscle mass.

I would suggest firstly focus on 

Increase Bulk ( Muscle Mass ) Increase Caloric intake tending towards increase protein intake. by means of weight lifting tending toward heavy lifting / low reps. 

Then once you think you may have reached the desired Mass . Then change your workout focus on Fat reduction if you want to make the newly developed muscles to standout. ie ( six pack )

Reduce Fat  : reduce calories in versus calories out while maintaining / minimizing Muscles Loss by means of strength training. 

I also wonder if you may also be taking some the health supplements that some tend to take to enhance  muscle mass along with your diet.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Mithras wrote:

@GershonSurge

Thanks for getting back to me.

You... sound like a doctor. I really appreciate your advice.

I'll start watching the videos right away. Thank you very much. I didn't expect this much help from everyone here in the forums!

I'm not a doctor, which is why I referred you to my sources. I have studied diet for a long time.

Best Answer

Ask your doctor for a referral to a nutritionist. Or your gym may even have a nutritional advice service too. They will help you to understand clearly what types of foods do what.

Some people tend to rave on about low carb diets but if I cut carbs down too much then I start to feel really ill. Some people say it is your body going through withdrawal but your body is a clever thing and knows how to ask you for what it needs. 

Your body needs fuel to keep on going. I remember reading about how athletes in the Olympics have to take on such an astonishing number of carbs to keep themselves going. Looking at the numbers you think they would be the size of houses! A calorie deficit is needed to loose fat but you need to make sure you still have enough to power you so make sure that deficit is not too great. 

https://thetravellingbat.wordpress.com/
Best Answer
0 Votes

Congrats on your decision to change your lifestyle to a healthier (or at least perceived) healthier lifestyle! I'm probably a half a foot shorter than you, and eat almost three times as many calories as you do a day. Want to guess my weight? It's 50 pounds lighter than yours.

I think that that fact proves that low-calorie diets are a relative measure. For a guy of my stature, weight and daily activity, 3000-4000 calories per day is perfect to maintain weight, and a little under that to lose weight. And don't hate carbs. The people who go on low-carb diets should be the couch-potatoes and computer workers. If you train a lot, you need the quick energy that only carbs provide. For instance, I ate almost 6000 calories last Sunday, most of it raw carbs in the form of low-sugar cereal. Maybe you can guess how I used those carbs.

In summary, don't starve your body of energy. You will just kill your metabolism and cause a later weight-gain-spurt. I am not surprised that you have stomach pains. You have changed your diet to foods that are harder to digest. Last year, I had the exact same problem when I started eating vegetables (which by the way are a healthy form of carbs). Don't worry about it; your body will make the necessary adjustment eventually. 

Now, with regard to what you should eat every day to tone your body muscle and lose fat. Lifting weights does burn calories, but aerobic workouts like running or swimming burn much more during the same time period. If you really want to get the most efficient calorie burn, you should opt for those exercises. If your goal is to lose a lot of weight, opt for a moderate calorie deficit each day, some 500 or so calories less than you should consume. At that rate, you will lose 1 pound a week without killing your metabolism.

Finally, don't worry about bmi. You are a 24-year-old guy! Hopefully you have more muscle than the average human being. If so, you must take that into account when weighing yourself. What should matter is actual fat, and if you look somewhat flabby, that will be your indicator for being overweight.

Good luck on this important step in your life!

Best Answer

Since you changed your diet, have you eaten any foods that you have never eaten before or on a regular basis? Do you get stomach cramps after eating certain foods or after eating anything? I'm thinking maybe a food allergy. Food allergies can come in different forms and stomach pain is one of them.

I use to be allergic to mango. I take one bite and I swell up. I changed my diet to consist of more plant based. After a couple weeks I tried eating a mango again and I was no longer allergic to them. Now I eat them about every day. I don't know what your diet consists of, but you might want to give it a try. First, you'll need to find out what it is you're allergic to and stay away from it for a while.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Okay, a few tips: 

Never, ever take the advice on the internet from just anyone on a forum. Most people mean well, but anecdotal evidence doesn't do much for anyone. We are all very, very different people. 

If I were you, I would do this: 

Starting in the morning, after you first wake up, your stomach is mostly empty, unless you had a lot of meat the night before. At this time, your body has no idea that you're dieting or on a calorie deficit. Take note of how you feel now. Good? Bad? 

Have a small portion of food. Like a single pack of oatmeal. How do you feel now? In the 30 minutes afterwards? 

There are a number of things that could be an issue. Stomach ulcer, food allergy, gall stones, the list goes on. 

I could venture a guess, but that's meaningless. The key is for you to figure out what is causing this discomfort. Until you do that, there's not much help any of us can be. 

If I were a betting man, I'd say a gall stone or two. 

Those who have no idea what they are doing genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they're doing. - John Cleese
Best Answer
0 Votes