Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tips for healthy eating during the holidays

Hello Community. Hope you are all doing well.

I just wanted to share with you some healthy tips for this holiday season. I know sometimes it is hard to keep eating healthy during the holidays. The get-togethers with friends and family are the primarily reason to break the habit. Here you have a list of what I recommend.

• Boost your metabolism. The more times a day you eat, the better. Prepare healthy snacks to eat in between meals. Try fruit and veggies
  • Share the habit. Bring your own healthy snacks to your parties. I have two recommendations. (1)Chopped carrots and celery with lemon juice. (2) Unflavoured pop corn with olive oil and grinded black pepper.
  • Avoid chips and fried snacks. If you have snacks at a party, skip your in-between meal. This will help with the amount of calories.
  • Keep active. A 10 minute walk a day is better than nothing. I usually go for a 20 minute walk at night after dinner.
  •  Bepunctual. Our body listens and responds to our habits. Have breakfast, lunch and dinner at the same time everyday. Of course it is not easy. If you have an unexpected meeting that will not allow you to have lunch as usual, have a small snack at hand, to help you through. Peanuts and dried fruit are a great and discreet choice.
  • Avoid dessert. However, if you wish to have some, ask half or a small portion of what you would normally eat.  
  • If you are a drinking person, avoid cocktails (too much sugar) and beers. Have white (vodka and white rum) or aged liquor (whiskey and bourbon). If you have a beer, skip the in-between meal.

If any of you have additional tips, please share them with the community. We will all be greatful.

Have a great day you all! Happy holidays.

RodrigoM | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Best Answer
7 REPLIES 7

Some great tips!

I do the same for most

But I'm not giving up my wine for hard liquor. Nope 😂 I dont like hard Liquor

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

@RodrigoMFitbit  Thanks for the tips, and great suggestions! And @WendyB I’m with you! No way am I giving up my wine.

Best Answer

I am not giving up anything 🤣. I figure I work my butt off everyday all year. The few gatherings or outings that will be out of the norm for me, will result in water weight and perhaps a sluggish day, but I want to enjoy what people work hard to create in order for me to have a good time. With that being said.. not every meal the entire day has to be a festival. Make low sugar, low salt, low fat choices for the meals you will not be celebrating during. Keeping up your fitness is more important than ever during the days you enjoy a little more than normal. Don't skip the gym, the walk or whatever your choice of activity is. And for sure don't look at it as an excuse to really over indulge. At the end of the day, try everything, enjoy your family and friends, but don't glutton out as if it the last meal you will ever eat. You will feel awful both physically and mentally. 

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer

One tip I was told a long time ago was if it doesn't taste good don't finish it! save the calories for food items you'll love. Cause there's nothing worse than saying "I ate 500 cals and it didn't even taste good!"

Have a nibble if you like it eat it if you don't don't.

Best Answer

Hello @WendyB@Whyshoshoni@emili and @Kyerial. Thank you all for posting and sharing. 

@WendyB and @Whyshoshoni, I can relate. However, I try to reduce the consumption of alcoholic beverages in general, but I would not say not to a glass of wine either. 

@emili, you are right. We do not need to restrict ourselves overall, but I do feel we can reduce the sugar intake, for example. We can have just a cookie instead of three. I personally avoid eating too much sugar, but I will still have one cookie. 

@emili, that is great advice, I will save my calories for other treats!

RodrigoM | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Best Answer

@RodrigoMFitbit Happy Holidays to you as well 

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

Thank you

Best Answer
0 Votes