Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vegan dishes for the Holidays

For me, nothing says “holiday” like a roasted turkey or a spiral sliced ham with all the fixings.  But two of my granddaughters are vegans (and have been for years). So the question is this — How do we keep everyone happy during the holidays?? 

Please post your tips for making a side dish vegan. And post vegan main dishes that can be served beside the meat. Here is what I plan to prepare for Christmas Eve. It’s delicious and even freezes well … if you have any leftovers. 

Note: I use portobello mushrooms rather than white. And, to allow me to prep this the day before, I purchase cubed butternut squash … roast it with a little olive oil (roasting brings out the flavor & sweetness)  … then mix everything together in a casserole dish to serve. It’s a big favorite, even with the carnivores in our family!

949A47E3-09E9-4956-A9BA-41BC68680039.jpeg

Best Answer
3 REPLIES 3

Excellent question. I don't have vegans, but I do have vegetarians and those who just don't like turkey or ham. I always have at least 5 veggie dishes on the table along with rolls, homemade applesauce, pickles and other things that will fill up the plate with color and yumminess. This year I am doing smashed sprouts instead of the more traditional roasted veggies. Here is the recipe . For the vegan version, omit the cheese. Happy Thanksgiving!

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer

I like your comment - color and yummies. What a great way to put it, @emili!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I like your adaptation of the squash recipe @SunsetRunner -— cubing the squash for a casserole dish instead of halving. The presentation of the halves is probably a crowd pleaser, but a casserole dish is so much easier.

@emili - I like to roast brussel sprouts by cutting them in half and coating in olive oil and salt, but the ‘smashed’ recipe looks great.  I’ll be giving it a try.

Scott | Baltimore MD

Charge 6; Inspire 3; Luxe; iPhone 13 Pro

Best Answer