Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vegetarian recipes

Hi guys!

I'm eating fatty food although I'm restricting myself to only eating at home !

My food at home usually involves alot of carbs and very little protein and a little bit of fat.

The main problem I face is I can eat only vegetarian food at home hence I need some inspiration and mainly tasty recipes for nice healthy protein rich vegetarian food!

Any cuisine will do for me
And I cook myself so any quick easy to make recipe will be appreciated .

Drdoctor
Best Answer
4 REPLIES 4

@Drdoctor

I'm having great success with a low carb approach (with frequent cheats), so here's a link to a bunch of low-carb/vegetarian recipes. Most are lacto-ovo..some are vegan (I think..). Hope it helps:

http://ketodietapp.com/Blog/post/2015/05/27/81-delicious-savory-low-carb-vegetarian-recipes

Warner Baxter won Best Actor 1930 for "In Old Arizona"
Best Answer
0 Votes
I made the bolognese in this link the other day. I dont usually cook with TVP, but the protein count was super high…around 20g per serve . It was pretty yum, and like all bolognese you could use it as the base for a number of meals (shepherd's pie, chilli etc)...you could serve it on zucchini noodles or spaghetti squash if you wanted to reduce your carb intake....

http://www.goodfood.com.au/recipes/veg-up-the-classics-recipes-from-suzy-spoons-vegetarian-kitchen-2...

I love rendang curry… here is a veg option.. 
Also, on the Indonesian theme - also try tempeh (if it’s available near you) which is super high in protein. Shallow fry and serve with sambol (chilli sauce) and cucumber/tomato. So good.

There are some great Indian recipes here - the dals and lentil dishes will have a good burst of protein. Most recently, I made the the Dal Fry … i think 10g of protein per serve (so the protein count was higher once I added sides - greens, yoghurt, rice)
Anything with beans will also be protein- rich — think mexican flavours - black beans, kidney beans, corn (surprising high in protein)..

And lastly, an easy one using mainly kitchen staples...

ANNA’s AFRICAN CHICKPEA, SPINACH, PEANUT BUTTER CURRY 

• olive oil, bran oil, coconut oil (whatever is your preference) – for sautéing the veggies
• 2 medium onions - chopped
• 2 - 3 cloves garlic - minced 
• 1 – 3 chillis - chopped finely
• small knob of ginger - chopped finely
• ¼ - ½ cup peanut butter
• 1 tsp. paprika
• 1 tsp. ground coriander
• 1 tsp. tumeric
• 1 – 2 can/s chickpeas - rinsed and drained
• 1 can diced tomatoes
• 1 can coconut milk
• 1 packet frozen spinach – thawed
• Wedges of fresh lemon (optional)
• Fresh coriander – chopped or torn (optional)

Heat oil in large pot over medium heat. Add onion, and sauté 5 minutes, or until soft and golden. Add garlic and chilli and ginger, and cook 2 to 3 minutes more, or until softened.

Add diced tomatoes and peanut butter (you can blend together into a paste first, OR just bung both in and stir to mix together.)

Add other spices, chickpeas, coconut milk and thawed spinach, and stir through to combine.

Simmer for 10 minutes for everything to heat through and flavours to absorb and develop.

Just before serving, squeeze some fresh lemon juice over the curry, and/or fresh coriander leaves. (optional)

Serve with cooked rice, cooked pearl barley, or couscous.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Beans, lentils and tofu are great options for meat replacement. I eat oatmeal for breakfast as it is high in protein.

Karolien | The Netherlands

Best Answer

Check out www.vegweb.com. It's all vegan recipes. 

I have my secrets for avoiding mushy tofu and will pass them along if you want. Once you get used to cooking it, it's pretty easy. I make a "smothered" tofu with onions and mushrooms that's pretty good.

Tempeh is another good option. It's an Indonesian food made of fermented soybeans and has a nutty, chewy flavor. You can marinate it and grill it or crumble it and use it in dishes in place of ground beef. You can also cut it into thin strips, marinate, and make tempeh "bacon." Or you could cook it, cube it, and toss on top of a salad.

If you aren't on a gluten-free diet, check out seitan, aka "wheat meat". It's best to make your own with vital wheat gluten. You can make a couple of batches and freeze for later use. You can use it in place of any meat in a recipe.

Best Answer
0 Votes