Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to eat prior to a Weights train combined with High HR cardio?

Currently I feel dizzy after these training (sometimes during it) so i wonder what is best to eat before, keeping in mind the trainig session is during the morning before work (6:30 - 8:00) 

I am 1.80m tall (6,0" approx) and 104.6kg 

Fernando Founar
Best Answer
0 Votes
3 REPLIES 3

That's a tough one.  I generally avoid food before workouts.  A friend of mine though swears by a banana and a greek yogurt.  It isn't something I would eat (as I don't like either) but in the end it's whatever doesn't feel heavy in the stomach, but you probably still want to wait 30 minutes so that some of the effect gets into your bloodstream.

Anne | Rural Ontario, Canada

Ionic (gifted), Alta HR (gifted), Charge 2, Flex 2, Charge HR, One, Blaze (retired), Trendweight.com,

Down 150 pounds from my top weight (and still going), sharing my experiences here to try and help others.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I would focus more on what you eat the night before. If the dizziness is caused by your diet, it's likely because you don't eat enough carbohydrates at supper. 

Personally, I find it makes no difference if I eat in the morning before working out or not. However, now I eat a bowl of oatmeal and a banana to get a head start on recovery.

Dizziness can be caused by something serious. Perhaps it would be wise to cut the intensity and duration of your workout for a while.  You might check your blood pressure and chloresterol level. You can get a test at Labcorp and other places for about $29. 

I don't believe in doctors, but others might suggest discussing this with one.

Best Answer

You didn’t provide much information about your training and your eating. Sessions of 1.5 hours are quite long, especially if they include both resistance training (what kind?) and intense cardio (what kind?). How many such sessions do you have per week? When did you start this regimen, and from what general level of fitness? How about your eating: are you on a caloric deficit in order to lose weight? If so, when did you start your weight loss and how large is your deficit? Do you follow some kind of intermittent fasting, or have at least 3-4 meals per day?

If you’re dieting and exercising at the same time, you have two sources of stress your body needs to recover from. If all this is relatively new, maybe you need to take it a little bit easier: train less often, or have shorter sessions, or do weights and cardio on different days etc. Regarding pre-/intra-workout nutrition: both resistance training and cardio require carbs as the primary fuel for your activity. Unless you’re following some kind of low-carb diet, there should be enough carbs in your system from normal meals (e.g. dinner on the previous day, as mentioned by @GershonSurge, or from breakfast prior to your workout, if you’re having breakfast that early), depending of course on what you eat. Very intense workouts may deplete your glycogen stores (which is where most of the carbs you ingest end up first), which could explain the dizziness. If so, I’d rather lower the intensity of your workouts (as suggested above) rather than plan something to eat intra-workout.

Good sources of carbs to power your workouts: regular food like rice, pasta, potatoes, oatmeal (= no need to buy what supplement companies are trying to sell you).

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes