Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why can't we use decimals for calories when creating custom food items?

ANSWERED

When creating a custom food item, why don't you allow for decimals to be used in the Calories and Calories from fat items?

Q8YHw3p

You do allow for it for the others (Total fat, Protein, etc), so I don't see why not for Calories.

I want to be able to create custom food items with calories and macronutrient numbers per 1g so I can measure how much I'm eating and input it precisely. Portions vary from day to day, so it doesn't make sense to not have this kind of flexibility.

For example, say apples have 52 calories per 100g. To enter this per 1 gram for a custom food item, I'd need to create it as 0.52 calories, but the app doesn't allow it.

This way I could measure how much apple I'm eating (since they vary in size) and input it precisely.

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

I actually found a solid workaround. I put the info in for all my food items at 100 grams each instead of 1 gram. Doing it that way, the decimals are much less important at the time you're creating the custom food items (for example, if 100 grams of ground beef would be 19.2 grams of protein, I'd just round it to 19).

Then, when you log a food item, you can still enter the amount of grams you actually ate. So if (for example) you eat 180 grams of ground beef, it will use the info you input for beef at 100 grams to do the calculations for you for the calories and macros for 180 grams.

It's not perfect, but it's close enough.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
2 REPLIES 2

Yes! I'm struggling with this myself. I'll make full recipe from a cookbook and I would like to create the macros; per gram, for measuring going forward. However, when I'm trying to cut calories I have to either have to do one calorie per gram or two calories per gram and that will exponentially throw off my calorie tracking.

Let's simply add a decimal option. There's also a post from several years ago suggesting that at one point it was an option and Fitbit took it away.... put it back? C'mon. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I actually found a solid workaround. I put the info in for all my food items at 100 grams each instead of 1 gram. Doing it that way, the decimals are much less important at the time you're creating the custom food items (for example, if 100 grams of ground beef would be 19.2 grams of protein, I'd just round it to 19).

Then, when you log a food item, you can still enter the amount of grams you actually ate. So if (for example) you eat 180 grams of ground beef, it will use the info you input for beef at 100 grams to do the calculations for you for the calories and macros for 180 grams.

It's not perfect, but it's close enough.

Best Answer