Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why isn't there a UK food database?

ANSWERED

It is very difficult to keep an accurate food log when the food database only consists of American products.  There should be a choice of food databases for whatever country you are based in.

Best Answer
2 BEST ANSWERS

Accepted Solutions

@SpammyIf you download the Myfitnesspal app you can link it to your Fitbit app. It even has a barcode scanner where you scan the code with your phone camera and it automatically puts all the data in, very handy ! There have been some issues with delayed syncing between the two apps in the past few days but over all its excellent and nearly always has the food stored in the database.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer

Apologies if you read my post in this thread already, but in case you didn't, I use Myfitnesspal which is free, and link it to my fitbit account. You just barcode scan in your food or do a search on their website or app, log it and the information will transfer to your Fitbit account. Works a treat. I've been using them together for a month and have lost a stone already. Hope that helps 🙂

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
16 REPLIES 16

Very true, though I found that even being in the US that the fitbit food database was extremely limited.  Because of that I switched to using MyFitnessPal for my food tracking.  I don't know how they are for UK foods, but I find it has everything I've ever looked up here.  There are several food tracking apps that link straight into fitbit, you may want to check them out.

Best Answer

Thank you.  I did try to link to Myfitnesspal but it didn''t seem to work.  I'll try again.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have just been given a FitBit as a present and  I agree that the food log can be very confusing as it appears to incl. only US foods and restaurants. I am trying to find the nearest food by googling which is time consuming. A food choice database per country would make sense. It wouldn't need to be as comprehensive as the current one.   Can a UK food app be downloaded?

Also how much is a serving? This can vary enormously from country to country.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@SpammyIf you download the Myfitnesspal app you can link it to your Fitbit app. It even has a barcode scanner where you scan the code with your phone camera and it automatically puts all the data in, very handy ! There have been some issues with delayed syncing between the two apps in the past few days but over all its excellent and nearly always has the food stored in the database.

Best Answer

I just make my own. Trying to be some what loberal on everything to err on the side of caution while entering.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I've just started to do that I think it's the only way to go.
Best Answer
0 Votes

It's nice to see you all in the forums! Smiley Very Happy 

While there is not an UK-specific food database, I recommend to link your Fitbit Profile to MyFitnessPal which has users all over the world and a huge database, including barcode scanner and recipe builder.

They are supported both through a computer as well as through most Smartphones. You can get more information on this page.

Fitbit Community ModeratorHelena A. | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was this helpful? Yay! If it was, please vote for it or mark this as a solution. Show us!

Best Answer

LOL, sometimes I feel invisible Cat LOL Cat LOL Cat LOL

Best Answer
0 Votes

It is based on your Suggestion @SunsetRunner ! Thank you very much for this Smiley Wink

You mentioned Quorn substitute in this post, what is that? Smiley Embarassed

Was this helpful? Yay! If it was, please vote for it or mark this as a solution. Show us!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm not sure you can get it in the US. In the UK it is very popular with vegetarians and pescetarians. It's basically a meat substitute. I think it's great, they do everything from meat substitute Beef Burgers and Chicken burgers to mince and meatballs, all meat free of course.  I find the burgers, especially the chicken ones, to be very close to a real one, I don't think I could tell the difference, having previously been a meat eater, and the bonus is you're guarnteed a grisstle free burger and no nasty surprises !

For anyone considering becoming a vegetarian or pescetarian for health reasons or for animal welfare reasons, I'd highly recommend giving it a try ! I don't miss meat at all thanks to this stuff. Smiley Happy

As for exactly what it is, I'll be lazy and just quote Wikipedia.... "All Quorn foods contain mycoprotein as an ingredient, which is derived from the Fusarium venenatum fungus and is grown by fermentation using a process that has been called similar to the production of beer or yoghurt.[2] The fungus culture is dried and mixed with egg albumen, which acts as a binder, and then is adjusted in texture and pressed into various forms. Additionally, the carbon footprint of Quorn Frozen Mince in the UK is claimed to be 70% less than that of beef."

Here is a link: http://www.quorn.co.uk/

Best Answer
0 Votes

Sounds interesting @SunsetRunner ! I will remember you when I get a hold of one of those burgers Smiley Wink

Best Answer
Spoiler
Yes I've seen this and think I will give it a try as it does include UK foods. Thanks

@helenarriaza wrote:

It's nice to see you all in the forums! Smiley Very Happy 

While there is not an UK-specific food database, I recommend to link your Fitbit Profile to MyFitnessPal which has users all over the world and a huge database, including barcode scanner and recipe builder.

They are supported both through a computer as well as through most Smartphones. You can get more information on this page.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yep, I'll give this a try - I've  searched a few sites and this is one to persue .Smiley Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have been using the Fitbit Flex for about 8 months and have found it a brilliant tool to help with weight loss, 4 stones so far!!!! But I am finding it increasingly frustrating not having a UK food database. I have been guessing the calorific value of my food using the US database as a rough guide. We all know that the US equivalant portion size tends to be on the larger size, I am needing to be more accurate as I need fewer calories, and this is becoming harder and more frustrating. French, German, Chinese and Japanese all ok but why no UK. Come on Fitbit don't leave us out.......

Best Answer
0 Votes

Apologies if you read my post in this thread already, but in case you didn't, I use Myfitnesspal which is free, and link it to my fitbit account. You just barcode scan in your food or do a search on their website or app, log it and the information will transfer to your Fitbit account. Works a treat. I've been using them together for a month and have lost a stone already. Hope that helps 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes
Hi millindie

I've found these two web site very useful when calculating calories and they
are English sites which also include food you buy in the supermarkets.

Give them a try & see how you find it.:)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/ & http://www.nutracheck.co.uk/
Best Answer
0 Votes