Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Yum - first fruit out of the garden

After a long winter and a busy spring I realized my rhubarb was getting out of control yesterday.  I was going to leave it until the weekend, but the rain stopped tonight and I grabbed 4 stalks.

20170525_183759[1].jpg

Yes, 12" long - about 1.75" x 3/4" around.  It came to 700g (~1.5 pounds) chopped to which I added a 500g bag of vac sealed frozen berries (a Costco blend that I buy in 2kg bag and reseal if I don't use it up right away).  Since the berries were frozen (and I didn't think about it until last minute) I put them on low with a little water.  Will add the rhubarb shortly.

20170525_184709[1].jpg

I'll check it in a bit and add some Stevia to taste.  The whole thing is 415 cals.  I'll likely divide it up and see if I have a small amount of granola as a topping.

Anne | Rural Ontario, Canada

Ionic (gifted), Alta HR (gifted), Charge 2, Flex 2, Charge HR, One, Blaze (retired), Trendweight.com,

Down 150 pounds from my top weight (and still going), sharing my experiences here to try and help others.

Best Answer
10 REPLIES 10

And yes I know, it is technically a vegetable.  Woman Tongue

Ionic (gifted), Alta HR (gifted), Charge 2, Flex 2, Charge HR, One, Blaze (retired), Trendweight.com,

Down 150 pounds from my top weight (and still going), sharing my experiences here to try and help others.

Best Answer
0 Votes

So, you know sometimes people talk about high bulk/lower calorie foods vs low bulk/higher calorie foods... here's a perfect example.  Both are roughly 100 calories (stewed fruit maybe over by 5, pumpkin flax granola under by 5).  ~250g of fruit, 20g (weighed) of granola - I weighed both, but I came close on the fruit - I was exact on the granola.

20170525_195225[1].jpg

Verdict - not bad, but could have used some granny smith apple to give it a little more body.  When I get groceries tomorrow I might chop one or two in and simmer for a bit to blend. 

Best Answer

This sounds so good! Yummmmmmm 🙂

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer
0 Votes

My Chinese cabbage was doing so well this year (I just grow some for fun on my balcony, it is a miracle when something really does well), but it all got eaten by an animal during the nights.

Karolien | The Netherlands

Best Answer
0 Votes

Whether it's a fruit or vegetable, if it's from our own garden, it tastes awesome. I feel the difference in taste and even in smell. Looks delicious (May be taste too) 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

It looks beautiful!  I think it would make my yogurt sing!  It's hard to get where I am and if it ti there it is never that pretty and $5 a pound.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Esya- I would like to grow more vegetables, but it's not going to be this year.  I made a donation to a local CSA (community supported agriculture) during the winter at a level that got me a share for the summer.  I was planning on trying it anyway, but this made me actually do it (and support an emergency repair at the farm).  For 20 weeks I'll get a selection of locally grown organic produce. Before I determine where I could grow more veggies I want to see how that goes.

@Bhuvana- I agree, home grown stuff is the best.  I mostly have berries in my garden (haskap, serviceberry, elderberry, red currant, and jostaberry) and I have (ready to plant) sea buckthorn, raspberries, blackberries and cherry bushes.

@WendyB- it really was quite nice.  I took more tonight as an afternoon snack.  It had time to come together and I don't think I'm going to add the apple.  I've got enough that I will be making more.  I downloaded a recipe for rhubarb cordial.  I'm thinking of making some and then taking it to the plant one hot day (haven't had any, but they're coming).

@MagsOnTheBeach- considering how well it grows I see the same thing (really poor stuff, but expensive).  One year I was short when making jam for my mother and I found some in the freezer case.  I'm not sure it was cheap, but it was better than the fresh stuff.

Best Answer

@A_Lurker: That's quite a impressive list of items you grow in your garden! I don't grow berries but mostly veggies and lot of herbs (Basil, mint, cilantro, thyme and oregano). I do have rhubarb, but it's not ready for pick. There is a berry farm nearby. So I go for "pick your own" for strawberry. I make jam out of it. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Bhuvana- I bought this property with the plan to grow more fruit.  I'm living in a fairly rural area so I have plenty of access to locally grown, fresh veggies.

Today, I'm off to start a local event - Spring Rural Romp.  A friend was supposed to join me but she has an unfortunately family conflict, so I'm going on my own.  Thirteen local producers (well, one B&B) of things with a wide variety of offerings have a specific 'open house' day today.  I can go to farms and see/experience (and buy):

plants

seedlings

honey

eggs

meat products (rabbit, lamb, duck, beef, pork, chicken, guinea fowl, alpaca... yes, alpaca)

milk products (an organic dairy that I understand makes dynamite dandelion ice cream)

birch syrup

produced items (lavender, alpaca, rabbit, lamb)

I have to watch I don't overfill my freezer, but I'm definitely thinking of alpaca meat - I understand it's lean and mild tasting and very lean.

Best Answer

Sigh....

I bought lamb, pork, beef, alpaca, guinea fowl, honey, birch syrup, birch caramels, baklava (those last two items I took a piece of each and dropped off at the plant on the way home), ice cream, leeks, tomatoes, asparagus, plants... and a goji berry bush.

I should be stopped.  I basically have almost zero free time for four weeks, and a 2-day trip out of the country week after next.  I'm going to have to keep the stuff alive until then (I know it's possible) or try and plant one or two items here and there (possible, but not ideal as some of the items are for areas that need to be completely overhauled.

Best Answer
0 Votes