Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android FitBit Application Battery Life

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi @Fitbit

Love the battery life of the Ionic, however your application on the other hand is a dreadful battery hog.

This ia more a FYI than a request for help as I know how to manage my apps.

My Samsung S8 on Android 7.0 usually gets day and a half to two days of battery life, however I noticed over a day of use and at 20% battery left on the phone the FitBit application used around 28% of battery in a day!

All day sync is off however the application was open, surely if the application is not in focus it should be put to sleep, this is not occurring and points to a possible issue with the code in the application considering all day sync is disabled.

Barry

Best Answer
0 Votes
15 REPLIES 15

@SunsetRunner wrote:

Hi @Fitbit

Love the battery life of the Ionic, however your application on the other hand is a dreadful battery hog.

My Samsung S8 on Android 7.0 usually gets day and a half to two days of battery life, however I noticed over a day of use and at 20% battery left on the phone the FitBit application used around 28% of battery in a day!

All day sync is off however the application was open, surely if the application is not in focus it should be put to sleep, this is not occurring and points to a possible issue with the code in the application considering all day sync is disabled.

Barry

@SunsetRunner wrote:

Hi @Fitbit

Barry

Hi @SunsetRunner,

There's a couple more settings you may want to check. The first, is making sure "always connected" isn't enabled. The second, is a setting called "live data". If live data is turned on, the app will constantly refresh the stats from the tracker (this is separate from all-day-sync).

Try those two settings, and let us know if that improves the battery life for the app.

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

Best Answer

Curious... I have an S8 with Android 7.0 as well. I have leave bluetooth on, and keep "Always connected" checked. And I still get great battery on the phone. I'm currently 18 hours, 15 minutes, 38 seconds since last charge, and have 68% (38 hours) left. I never "close all apps", so essentially the app is still "available but not in focus." Fitbit Usage per Hour is currently at 0.10%.

Best Answer

@WavyDavey Thanks will check those settings out, had the device over a week and this is the first I seen the bad usage behaviour from the application.

@SunsetRunner Yeah I was surprised too usage was up at 0.48% an hour! So it was hogging battery like a pro lol

Will see how it goes once I change some of the additional application settings 😄

cheers guys

Barry

Best Answer

@WavyDavey said, "The second, is a setting called "live data". If live data is turned on, the app will constantly refresh the stats from the tracker (this is separate from all-day-sync)."

And where is this setting? Don't see it in the app...

Best Answer
0 Votes

@SunsetRunner On the Ionic page where All Day Sync is scroll right down to the bottom, it is under Exercise Shortcuts, that's how I missed it too. even though I switched off ADS.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@SunsetRunner 

Do you mean, "Always Connected?" Because I leave that on, and still have good battery.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@SunsetRunner, it's right here:

screenshot.76.jpg

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

Best Answer
0 Votes

@WavyDavey

Except, I don't have that:

Screenshot_20171201-162024.png

Best Answer
0 Votes

@WavyDavey Same here, no live data.  Are you using the Developers firmware.?

@WavyDavey wrote:

@SunsetRunner, it's right here:

screenshot.76.jpg

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Colinm39, @SunsetRunner, if you are on Android app 2.62.x, it isn't there - it is accessible only on the Fitbit.com Dashboard -> Settings -> Device settings.

Live Data.jpg

Best Answer

@USAF-Larry  Thanks... I have set that and synced... What advantage does "Live data" have ?

@USAF-Larry wrote:

@Colinm39, @SunsetRunner, if you are on Android app 2.62.x, it isn't there - it is accessible only on the Fitbit.com Dashboard -> Settings -> Device settings.

Live Data.jpg

Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer

@USAF-LarryThanks for the link... I have never worried about that because my stats were always updating when the Connected  was showing..   Heart Rate... always,  but thanks to the link I now know that is linked with Notifications..

@USAF-Larry wrote:

@Colinm39, check out the help article on it here:

http://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/1960/?q=Live+Data&l=en_US&fs=Search&pn=1

Best Answer
0 Votes

@SunsetRunner wrote:

@SunsetRunner 

Do you mean, "Always Connected?" Because I leave that on, and still have good battery.

@SunsetRunner Yeah i had left everything on but I'm disabling certain items and will re-enable and monitor.

A must have for me is control of my music streaming from my phone, so I have the Bluetooth classic enabled too.

Not sure why the Ionic requires two Bluetooth connections, the one connection should be able to handle it all.

That is the case with Android watches, the Samsung Gear and the Pebble too, one Bluetooth connection full notifications, synch and music control.

I guess there is still an amount of development work still taking place, so that may change.

Barry

Best Answer
0 Votes

Well the application has decided to misbehave even more!  A whopping 0.7% per hour and almost on par with the phones device idle time battery consumption!

I went to bed with 48% battery on the phone and as you can see it is almost out of charge.

This is with All Day Sync off, Always connected off, live feed off, application on phone "closed" in other words it has some serious issues with a background process, unless switching these settings off has made it poll a certain function even more.

It is not seemingly affecting the watches battery life, 56%  last charged on Friday, used with GPS a few times and worn overnight too.

I love the form factor of the FitBit compared to my Gear S3 but at this rate may end up going back to the Gear unless I can resolve this, without having to force stop the application every time.

Screenshot_20171203-081115.png

Best Answer
0 Votes