Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bluetooth/Wi-FI usage on the Ionic

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

On the Ionic:

When & how is Wi-Fi and each type of Bluetooth used?

Under what circumstances and how frequently is each type of signal transmitting or totally turned off?

Can all of these -- including the low-power Bluetooth -- be disabled for a period of time (for example, during my commute?) when I am not interested in viewing text messages or other info on the watch?

Best Answer
15 REPLIES 15

@MLFB, where did you see Wi-Fi connectivity being associated with the Ionic?  I'm asking because as far as I know, literally 100% of the Ionic's wireless connectivity is via Bluetooth.

Regarding your question; I do not believe the minimal Bluetooth mode can be disabled (but Bluetooth Classic can in fact be disabled) which is similar to how the Surge operates.

Best Answer

Thanks for the reply and info @shipo ! I thought I read that this model will contain WiFi but I think I confused it with a different device. I'm going to edit the question.

Edit: I guess I was right, after all! Re-edited the question to re-include Wi-Fi.

Best Answer

@MLFB wrote:

Thanks for the reply. I thought I read that this model will contain WiFi but I think I confused it with a different device. I'm going to edit the question or make a new post only about bluetooth.

As you were typing your post I was editing my post; see if I answered your question before needing to create a new topic.  🙂

Best Answer

No, you're right. It does have a Wi-Fi antenna. It says it on the pre-order page where it has the specs further down the page 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

@CopperWolf808 wrote:

No, you're right. It does have a Wi-Fi antenna. It says it on the pre-order page where it has the specs further down the page 🙂

Can you post a screen shot; I'm looking at the pre-order page and don't see any references to Wi-Fi.  Maybe I need to get my eyes checked.  🙂

Edit:

As my old Marine Corps DI used to say, "As you were."  I found it.

So, thinking about this logically, yes, I imagine Wi-Fi can be turned off via the same menu used for disabling Bluetooth Classic.  Keep in mind this is just a SWAG.  🙂

Best Answer

@shipo of course!

http://i.imgur.com/WSs7jMd.jpg

Sorry on mobile so can't upload a pic on here.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@CopperWolf808, two additional comments:

I edited my previous post with an "I found it" comment.

1. I find myself wondering why a tracker has Wi-Fi at all; maybe that's how it is capable of fetching the Pandora stream.
  2. Hmmm, maybe it can also synch current data with the Fitbit servers without needing to synch via a phone or via PC based Fitbit Connect app.
Best Answer
0 Votes

The presence of wifi could lead to some interesting apps. If your phone and watch are on the same network there is no reason you shouldn't be able to reply to texts from the watch, or at least have canned text with the proper app even if the phone is not in range of bluetooth. It all depends on the implementation, but that's just one of many things wifi would allow. 

Best Answer

@shipo Yes, I didn't see that you found it until after I replied...well I will leave it up for others to see.

DC Rainmaker actually explains about the music aspect of it and why it uses wifi on his blog.

Via DC Rainmaker

The synchronization happens over WiFi anytime you’re charging the unit.  There isn’t any way to side-load music onto the watch itself using USB.  Instead, for moving your personal music onto it (non-Pandora), you’ll use the Fitbit Connect desktop app, which will then sync the files via WiFi to your device.

There is more on his blog here and also has a YouTube video about the Ionic and also has another video using the NFC payment.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2017/08/fitbit-ionic-gps-smartwatch-all-the-details.html

Best Answer

I am interested to know whether all wifi and bluetooth can be turned off as well (yes, even the "minimal" bluetooth).

I was about to buy Fitbit Charge 2 but then I didn't as I found out bluetooth couldn't be completely turned off.

I just don't want to have more radiation (especially I want to wear the wristband 24 x 7).  Yes, I know there are many research articles pointing out the latest bluetooth technology uses an extremely low power and so the radiation is significantly lower than what the cellphone emits.  But obviously, zero is absolutely lower than any positive number 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

@hchk, I'm going to lay "dollars to donuts" odds the low power Bluetooth will not have a disabled mode.

Best Answer

Hmm, the Apple Watch has an Airplane mode that turns off WiFi/Bluetooth radios. You might think Fitbit would do the same, to comply with possible airline regulations, otherwise you would be forced to turn it off. That said, Fitbit does make some interesting decisions on features and maybe they think its too confusing or would cause too many support calls. A lot of questions to be answered once Ionic starts shipping.

Aria, Fitbit MobileTrack on iOS. Previous: Flex, Force, Surge, Blaze

Best Answer

I'm thinking you are correct, @shipo. And, since the Bluetooth LE is only used for syncing, there is really no reason to turn it off. People are exposed to far more Electromagnetic Radiation (EMR) on a daily basis from house wiring, computers, portable phones, microwave ovens, and other electronics than a fitness tracker Bluetooth will ever emit.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@USAF-Larry that's a bold assertion (EMR). 

I think it is reasonable to have an airplane mode to disable radios, for whatever reason (power savings, airplane regulations, EMR, ...)

Aria, Fitbit MobileTrack on iOS. Previous: Flex, Force, Surge, Blaze

Best Answer

Currently I've only read that the wifi is used to updste pandora. Haven't read about any other usages.

Best Answer
0 Votes