Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't setup American Express in Fitbit Wallet

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Tried for hours with American Express to get my card setup to use with Fitbit Wallet. I enter all the information correctly and when I click for it to be verified it doesn't send the request and gives me an error to the effect that my info. couldn't be verified with the financial institution (on Android 7.0). The message comes up instantly as soon as I press the submit button. American Express says they aren't even getting the request to verify the information. Looks like your Android app may need an update to fix this issue. Below screenshots show the Android error, also when trying on iPhone 5 when you click the get started link, an icon spins for a minute or two then gives the operation couldn't be completed error. On Android the error comes after trying to submit the American Express credit card information. On iPhone, it doesn't even get to where I need to enter the credit card information before I get an error. I tried also to get this setup on your Windows app but there is no Wallet option to get it setup. I'm out of options! I have also tried factory resetting the watch, I've checked and confirmed my information directly with American Express several times and this appears to definitely be something on Fitbits end as besides trying every option I have, I've noticed multiple complaints in this and other forumns about this same issue with other people that have American Express cards. Please help!20180225_133332.png

received_734923036895382.jpeg

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

I found a work around for the Android Fitbit app to be able to setup American Express cards in Fitbit Wallet to use with Fitbit Pay. So many people are having this issue, here is what you need to do!

1.) Uninstall Fitbit app and download and install version 2.59 from https://fitbit.en.uptodown.com/android/old

2.) Login to the app and setup your American Express card in Fitbit Wallet.

3.) Update your app to the current version from Google Play.

4.) If you experience sync issues after updating, remove your Ionic from the Android app and simply add it again. To add back, simple follow the new device setup directions, it will find your Ionic and the Ionic will give you a pairing code to put in the app, setup the WiFi settings and finish the setup process. DO NOT factory reset your Ionic, there is no need to do that!20180225_223522.png

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
10 REPLIES 10

I found a work around for the Android Fitbit app to be able to setup American Express cards in Fitbit Wallet to use with Fitbit Pay. So many people are having this issue, here is what you need to do!

1.) Uninstall Fitbit app and download and install version 2.59 from https://fitbit.en.uptodown.com/android/old

2.) Login to the app and setup your American Express card in Fitbit Wallet.

3.) Update your app to the current version from Google Play.

4.) If you experience sync issues after updating, remove your Ionic from the Android app and simply add it again. To add back, simple follow the new device setup directions, it will find your Ionic and the Ionic will give you a pairing code to put in the app, setup the WiFi settings and finish the setup process. DO NOT factory reset your Ionic, there is no need to do that!20180225_223522.png

Best Answer

Same problem here.

LG G6 running Android 7.0

Fitbit App version 2.66
FitBit Ionic running 27.311.29

Bank of America card worked fine, entered the detail, agreed to the ToS, entered the verification code from the text message BoA sent me, good to go.

Amex Platinum fails. Details are right, but when you click Next after the address portion it fails immediately - no ToS, no verification code, nothing.

Big part of why I bought this - would prefer not to have to take it back...

Best Answer

I figured out a work around and posted it just seconds after you posted your comment. Please let me know if it works for you as well!

Best Answer

Worked...although a little convoluted.

Uninstalled the 2.66 app. Installed the 2.59 version.

Ionic wouldn't sync, so removed and readded back into the App.

Tried to open wallet, and it didn't want to sync. After a couple minutes, it finally synced and would open.
It automatically removed my BoA card at this point.

I was then able to add the Amex card, (ToS, Verification etc)  but it got stuck on the final sync.

Restarted the Ionic - Was able to sync.

Opened Wallet, hit Activate, synced to Ionic.

Card was now shown in the wallet on the app, but not when Left Button was held.

Updated the Fitbit app - Couldn't sync again...restarted the Ionic - was able to sync.
Opened wallet in the app...Card synced to Ionic.
Open Wallet on the Ionic, card was shown.
Left button push, Card now shows up.

And you sir...are a steely-eyed missile man 🙂

Best Answer

Sorry, just noticed that for whatever reason, a space was getting added at the end of the link which broke the link in the solution. I edited the reply and used the link icon option to insert the link which kept the space from being added back in as part of the link.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Sorry to hear that it didn't go as smoothly for you as it did for me. It seems like the Fitbit app for Windows, iPhone, and Android all have parts that are a bit buggy. At least the watch seems top notch. 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

I was having trouble with AMEX card registration as well.  This did not solve my problem.   However,  right after the address screen on the card information section, I turned off wifi and forced further communication to go over the cellular data network.  Can't explain it, but it worked.  --  I had tried this throughout the day on two different wifi networks. Happy to have it working.

Best Answer

I tried your suggestion and it worked the first time after failing at least 20 on Wifi. Doesn't make sense?
Thanks!

Best Answer

Turning off WiFi on my phone did it for me as well.  Several failures prior to turning off WiFi.

On a Versa, with fitbit app v 2.70   Android 8.1

Best Answer
0 Votes

WiFi toggle worked instantly for me as well. Thanks for the tip Bubbles! 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes