Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot use the 'Add New Fitbit Device' for Ionic via https://www.fitbit.com/e using 'Mac' download.

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Today I had a lengthy conversation with Karl on the Fitbit online live chat service. After successfully downloading the 'Mac' software in the hope to add and update my recently replacement Ionic device to my account via the Mac I discovered in the final stages of the process that the software did not have the option of selecting the Ionic from a choice of all other Fitbit products as there was no sign of the Ionic at the selection point. This was extremely frustrating but I attempt the process several times to ensure that it wasn't an input error I was making. 

This when I went online and set up a chat with Karl. I explained what so far had happened, we uninstalled the software, reinstalled it again so that Karl could go through the process with me step by step in real time. I have to say I had no problem doing this even though very time consuming I felt it valuable for Karl to experience what I had to this point so that he could identify if there was a genuine problem or in fact it was my incompetence!

After reliving the experience with Karl at the helm, we finally agreed that for what ever reason, through the 'Mac' software download, there is no option to add,set up or replace your Ionic device to your account and update it.

Karl, did resolve the issue by carrying out the set up, replacement of Ionic device using my mobile phone, so as far as being able to use my replacement Ionic device is concerned, I have had a positive result and I am most grateful to Karl, he has the patience of a Saint!

However, I am really dissatisfied with the fact the 'Mac' software doesn't function properly for Ionic owners. I don't feel that I should be forced to use my mobile phone to set up, upgrade etc, when all the other Fitbit products are accessible through the software. If its a case of updating the software then I feel it should be done. I'm sure I am not the only Ionic owner in the world that would like to have as a back up the ability to carry out everything I can currently do to my Ionic via my mobile phone, also on my Mac. If nothing else, as a back up in case there is an issue with my mobile phone.

I think that this should be looked into, I know that Karl will be forwarding my feedback but I think its important to let other Ionic users know.

Thanks.

Best Answer
0 Votes
2 REPLIES 2

Hello @Jon74 and a warm welcome.  I believe that one of the firmware upgrades to the Ionic fundamentally changed the procedure for setting up an Ionic.  If you look at the current Ionic manual (p 9-10), it says that the only ways to set it up are a compatible smartphone or tablet or a PC running Windows 10 with the Fitbit app for Windows 10.  There is no mention of compatibility with Fitbit Connect for Mac or Windows.  Fitbit Connect capability seems to have ended with the Charge 2/Blaze era of trackers.  The Inspire/Inspire HR/Charge 3/Versa series all give the same setup instructions as the linked Ionic manual.

For us long time users, the manual would benefit from a sentence that says that Fitbit Connect won't work with these devices.

I have also seen threads where users say that Fitbit Connect isn't compatible with OS Catalina at all.

Community Council Member

Laurie | Maryland, USA

Sense 2, Luxe, Aria 2 | iOS | Mac OS

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

Find a Fitbit friend with a phone that you can borrow for a few minutes, or any approved phone will work. 

If the phone has the Fitbit app, log out, log into your account, add tracker

Log out. 

Your setup and will be able to sync through MAC. 

Best Answer
0 Votes