Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cant' change ionic pin

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I am not able to change Ionic PIN code.

Keeps giving me "Error connecting to Ionic"

This is started to be really annoying because I have been trying to do that for 3 weeks now.

Restarted phone, Restarted Ionic And didn't work.

So I hope this has a fix somehow 

Best Answer
0 Votes
18 REPLIES 18

@SunsetRunner Welcome to the Fitbit family! Thanks for trying those troubleshooting steps. I'd like to recommend some other steps: 

• Update the Fitbit App for Android to its latest version (version 2.65 released today).
  • Log out from the Fitbit App.
  • Reboot your phone.
  • Log back in to the Fitbit App.

Then, try to reset your PIN:

• On Fitbit app dashboard, tap or click the Account icon > your device image.
  • Tap or click Device Lock.
  • Find the option to change your PIN code.

This should certainly help you out. 

Let me know how it goes! Smiley Happy

Santi | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Like my response? Vote for it! Also, accept as solution!

Best Answer

Sorry that didn't work. Been trying to do that for over an hour now.

First of all there is nothing in my app called Device Lock. Only PIN

When I tap on PIN it shows "Connecting..." for very long time.

Then shows "setting up your wallet"

Then asks me to enter my old PIN

Then "Error connecting to your Ionic." -hint my watch is on my rest and my phone is on my hand- so they are pretty much close.

Is this a known issue?! Because if it is not then something is wrong with my ionic.

It is also taking ages to sync most of the time. Even when I try to sync manually I get the message to restart my Bluetooth all the time.

Best Answer
0 Votes

It gets worse.

Now I can't access wallet on the app to remove cards!!!

It asks for PIN. Then I get error connecting to ionic.

I removed the device and added it back again. Problem still exists.

Did everything for troubleshooting. So please don't point me to anymore troubleshooting posts.

I need a solution.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@SunsetRunner Thanks for your reply and for trying all of those troubleshooting steps.

I opened a case with customer support for you. Please keep an eye on your email's inbox for next steps.

Let me know the resolution. Keep me posted! 

Best Answer

I have had the same issue since yesterday: message on Ionic popped up "Unlock with your phone", but when it try to change the PIN, all I get is "Error connecting to Ionic". I have seen a few different solutions on the forum, but none of them work. This originally happened yesterday morning and, randomly, later in the day, the Ionic was working fine; but it happened again this morning. Surely, there's a solution?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Have been having the same issue for a couple of days. Ionic is definitely connecting to Samsung J1 phone through Bluetooth but just can't access wallet to add another card.

Have tried everything in the troubleshooting & posts but still fails it seems to think I am setting up for the first time? Finds there's already a pin set, asks me to enter the pin, then after a while tells me there is an Error connect to Ionic <OK>. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Buck65 @SunsetRunner Welcome to the Fitbit Community! Thanks for trying the solutions you have found in the Community forums and for sharing that information with me.

I was checking the list of supported devices and the Samsung J1 is not listed there. This could be the reason why you are experiencing this. @SunsetRunner 

What kind of phone model do you have? @Buck65

Now, both of you can try performing a restart on your Ionic. That could help. Also, do the following:

• Log out from the Fitbit App.
  • Reboot your phone.
  • Log back in to the Fitbit App.

After doing this, please try the process once again and check if it will work or give the same error message.

Keep me posted! Smiley Happy

Best Answer

According to the Fitbit compatibility checker it says Samsung Galaxy J is supported so I assume this means all models in the J series.

The wallet was working fine for a couple of weeks from when I first added a card. After that good experience I decided to add some additional cards. That seemed to be when things went pear shaped.

I've tried your suggestions, several times, as I tried all the other suggestions I could find several times, bar doing a factory reset.

The phone connects to the ionic fine and updates as expected on all the apps bar the wallet app. When I tap the wallet it seems to think I am setting up the first time,  recognises the ionic already has a pin so prompts for the pin when I enter the pin it spins for a bit then gives the message

Error

Error connecting to Ionic

OK

I get the same error if I tap on the Device Lock option which says it is enabled.

I can't seem to do anything, I can't reset the pin, I can't suspend or remove the existing card.

Which by the way still works fine.

My phone recently did an ota update. But everything seemed to be working after that and I was able to access the wallet on the phone app until I ran into problems trying to add a second card.  

The phone details are;

Device name Samsung Galaxy J1 (2016)

Model number SM-J120ZN

Android version 5.1.1

If I can't get this resolved I'll try the factory reset and reinstall everything from scratch as I don't like not being able to control the wallet. 

Best Answer
Ok I have got it back.

I ended up entering a incorrect pin code on the ionic until it prompted to unlock using the phone app. This process then accepted a new pin code (I used the same one) and it worked. Although I had to re-enter my card details which also worked.

Now at least when I tap the wallet It prompts for a password as opposed to the pin. When I enter the password it allows me to manage the wallet.

Troy

I'd Rather be Surfing the Ocean.
Best Answer
0 Votes

@SunsetRunner Thanks for your reply and for trying all of the suggestions I was able to provide. Also, thanks for sharing the workaround that helped you out.

I'm very glad to hear that it works with your Samsung J1 even though that model is not listed. I use a mobile device that is not listed as well (Moto G4) and works fine too. Smiley Very Happy

I'm happy to hear that you are back on track now and that everything is working fine now. Hopefully, your workaround will be helpful for other users as well.

Also, take a look at the Discussions Board as you will find a lot of interesting things there. Feel free to post on any thread you want. If you are looking for Fitbit friends to compete with on challenges, check this thread to add some! 

See you around! Smiley Happy

Best Answer

Had this too, and was really disappointed that so mamy of us had the problem,and v few solutions... 

anyways i managed to unlock mine this morning!!! How you may ask???

i chose a different device (my amazon fire) added the app and proceeded to sync etc with that...

the fitbit was still locked, so did the set of instructions weve all tried with our phone, and did that with my Fire and it unlocked my watch 🥇

and then i disabled the lock!

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Northbanker Welcome to the Fitbit family! Thanks for your participation on this thread and for sharing the workaround that helped you to sort this out. It is great! I'm sure this will help other users who might be experiencing the same. 

Additionally, have you checked the Feature Suggestions Board? If you have any ideas for future features you would like to see on your Fitbit device, this is the best place for asking. Feel free to search for existing feature suggestions or add you own original one!

Thanks again for your awesome contribution to this thread. See you around! Smiley Happy

Best Answer

hiya gang 

I have recently upgraded to an ionic from a surge... 

I initially added a tricky code now want to make it easier as i have fat fingers!!! 

Every time i tr and change my pin i get the "Change Pin Failed" error.

Have the latest app and ionic firmware is v32.10.15

have restarted phone (logged out of fitbit app) and restarted fitbit with no luck.. 

are you able to assist me?

Nick

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi PTRAX

I am assuming you can't use the fitbit app on your device to change the pin, which is the problem I had. The Fitbit app (an earlier version) seemed to have a problem, skipping the password prompt on the Wallet, to allow access to manage the Ionic pin and cards, etc.

In the end I entered an incorrect pin on the Ionic 10 times in a row which locked the Ionic and prompted me to use the Fitbit app which in turn allowed me to get into the wallet again.

Make sure that the Bluetooth connection is working, you have the device with the Fitbit app on the same wireless network that the Ionic is on and that both are charged and finally that the Blue tooth connection is also working before you try this approach.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@PTRAX Welcome to the Fitbit family! Thanks for sharing the situation you are experiencing with Ionic's PIN code not changing. 

Just as @SunsetRunner suggested, make sure you have Bluetooth connected (you can try resetting it by turning it off and on). Also, try doing this while connected over a home Wi-Fi network.

Another thing you can try is performing a restart on Ionic and try again.

Now, if you get the PIN wrong 10 times you will be prompted to change it on the Fitbit app. Please check this helpful article to get more details about this process.

Last but not least, a new firmware version for Ionic started to roll out (OS 2.1.1 or version 32.10.20). As usual, this is a progressive roll out so if you haven't gotten it already you should in the following days. Make sure to update Ionic as soon as you can. Check more details on this post here

Hope this helps. Keep me posted! Smiley Happy

Best Answer

Hi - I am suffering from this as well.

Same message on the Ionic. Have tried multiple times to reset PIN.  End up with "Sorry an error occurred, please try again later".

I have restarted phone

Removed the Ionic and set it up again from scratch.

It's been a couple of weeks now... any further tips to what is already here in the forum??

Thank you!

Best Answer
0 Votes
Nothing really mate
I hate a mate - do a factory restart
That worked

Get Outlook for iOS
Best Answer
0 Votes

Oh my **ahem**ing God Fitbit. Fix this bug! I have to send a replacement for my Ionic now! Plus, my  Ionic is acting funny when and when I'm not using it.

Best Answer