Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crashes during exercise

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

10/3 morning run, tracking with GPS, looked at watch at mile 2,

checked a couple minutes later and it was the workout screen where you scroll to choose exercise. So I restarted “run” and went home. Synced to phone, 2+mile run is not there, was never recorded, didn’t sync. This is a MAJOR  reason for buying a gps tracker, it must work every time.  

Other problems-

finally got pandora stations to show up when I forced sync for 15th time on work WiFi, got Home put watch on charger, Home WiFi, pandora station and disappeared!!!! Fitbit Please fix software! Will Ben returning off not fixed in next couple weeks for refund. 

I was excited aboit Ionic becuase I like fitbit, battery life vs Apple Watch, and combined the function of my old gps running watch and all day tracker. But it was released with too many problems.  Please post update on firmware fixes that may be in the future. 

Moderator edit: edited title for clarity & format

Best Answer
356 REPLIES 356

It seems that Fitbit aren’t really monitoring these threads anymore. Customer service is a joke. What a dreadful organisation. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thanks for the info. Hopefully anyone considering buying a new Ionic might see the thread first and save themselves the money. Bit of a shame as it's a good looking watch and the app is great.

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @Wizegeezer @5miles @Dylanger @runnerkelli @runnerboi418 @ionic-jo thanks for getting back.

@Davrine and @SunsetRunner welcome to the Community Forums.

Thanks for sharing your comments. If your Ionic keep crashing while performing your activities and you have tried already to restart it multiple times. Please check that your Fitbit Ionic is running the latest version for this model. 

I'll be around.

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks Yojana. I've checked my watch and it is running the latest version.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Exercise app crashed again today during a run.  It's been over a year since the first occurrence for me.  I'm running the latest firmware.  Any outlook regarding when this will be fixed?

@YojanaFitbit wrote:

Hi @Wizegeezer @5miles @Dylanger @runnerkelli @runnerboi418 @ionic-jo thanks for getting back.

@Davrine and @SunsetRunner welcome to the Community Forums.

Thanks for sharing your comments. If your Ionic keep crashing while performing your activities and you have tried already to restart it multiple times. Please check that your Fitbit Ionic is running the latest version for this model. 

I'll be around.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Mine crashed again while composing an email this week and again the next day while doing yard work..Soon I fear it won’t be able to handle me sleeping either. Might be time for an alternate solution which is a shame as, when it works, it’s great. My daughter’s Versa is so buggy that she’s switching brands as well. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Nice to see again @SunsetRunner @Wizegeezer and @wait_4_itMy apologies for the delay.

Thanks for confirming that your Ionic is running the latest software. Thanks for your patience while we're working on this. Sorry for all the inconvenience with your and your daughter's Fitbit @wait_4_it. I'd suggest to perform the factory reset on your Ionic.

• On the device, hold all three buttons for about 10 to 12 seconds.
  • When the Fitbit logo disappears, quickly release the bottom right button, continuing to hold down the left and top right buttons (releasing the bottom right button as soon as the logo disappears is time sensitive).
  • When the device vibrates, release all buttons.
  • Wait for approximately 1-2 minutes while the device clears all data. Eventually, the Fitbit logo appears and the device boots and displays Fitbit.com/setup.
  • When the device successfully resets, please use the normal out of the box process of updating the firmware. You can check: *How do I update my Fitbit device?* for more details.

Take in consideration that a factory reset deletes any stored data, which includes all data that hasn't synced to your Fitbit account and your applications, alarms, etc. If this doesn't help, we need to confirm what is the next step with our support team.

I'll be here if you need further assistance. Keep me posted.

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer
0 Votes

And sad to say, my Ionic crashed this weekend in the middle of a 5K race, at the 2 mile mark.  I'm very very frustrated.

I did do the reboot before the race started.

Best Answer

Did the factory reset and turned off all notifications on mine and for the moment it seems to be behaving itself. Mind you did a half marathon last weekend and didn't trust it enough to use for that.  Still don't understand why Fitbit can't find a proper solution. 

Best Answer

Hey @VandyCWG nice to see you again. Sorry about what happened with your Fitbit Ionic, thanks  a million for trying to reboot it before the race. 

Did you already tried the factory reset? For your missing steps we suggest to manually log it on the Fitbit app. I know this is not what it should happen, I hope it can be resolved soon.

Thanks for sharing your input @SunsetRunner, thanks for trying those steps. 

I'll be around. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @YojanaFitbit , yes, I have recently factory reset the device (but this is becoming a pain in the butt to do, as it takes HOURS to reload my music onto the device).

I don't care for the manaully entering of steps, i care more that my map data was incomplete for my run.  That's the parts that getting frustrating.

I do not understand how this isn't fixed yet.  Is my watch running out of RAM and rebooting, is that what is happening?  If so, I'll start deleting apps.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@VandyCWG I doubt it is memory. It happened to me many times and I don't install anything on my Ionic. I keep only default apps and one clock face, no music either. For me, crashes mostly occur during Workout which isn't even using GPS. Now, if it happens I don't bother to log anything. The issue sneaks through every single update so I doubt now it is going to be resolved anytime soon or at all. But I'm quite sure it will disappear on its own with death of last Ionic.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I have a theory! Since mine is working fine most of the time, and i always
carry my phone too. I turn of gps, on phone, keeping it from syncing with
ionic. Crashes never happen anymore. So no syncing durin excersise.

Still not ok in any way. But it works for me.

I recognize mine wont crash but might fail in ways that used to crash it
earlier.

Cardiac arrest. Loss of pulse made it crash during excercise. Not anymore.
Just cardiac arrest.

Lost in space. Loss of gps made it crash. Still happens, but it wont crash
from it. Useless recording though.

Blackout. No clockface. Wont crash just no clockface.
Best Answer
0 Votes

After waiting for over a year for this issue to be fixed, I've decided to move on.  Last week Amazon USA had a wonderful sale on another brand's GPS watches so I switched.  So far so good.  I really like my Ionic, but I can't trust it to successfully record my runs without crashing.  I've had a good history with Fitbit starting with the original Charge, moving through the Surge and then the Ionic but it's time to move on.  I wish everyone the best with your fitness activities.  See you on the trail.

Best Answer

Went for a run 3 yesterday, & my ionic tracked the time on feet, but not the pace nor route. Today, it

stopped tracking after 63 steps with n either the distance,(I ran 2 miles), the pace nor the route. I have had my fitbit since 7/13/18. To say I am discouraged is putting it mildly. I will try the timer as an alternative assessment of my future runs or pick up a $15.00 watch at Walmart that will work better.

Best Answer
0 Votes

My fitbit ionic is less than a year old and has been crashing constantly most times I run and listen to music paired with earbuds. I have tried 4 sets of earbuds, all the same results (except I can no longer pair my bosebuds with the fitbit at all). I called fitbit and got the run-around that they are working on it. I asked for a replacement or refund and they would not consider that. A lot of money for a device that doesn;t do what I bought it for (running with GPS and music) - it is simply a piece of junk. Disappointing and infuriating.    

Best Answer
Wow - this piece of hippo flop is still doing this after 3+ years?

Shocking.

I’d almost forgotten that I once had the misfortune of owning an Ionic after having nothing but great experiences since trading it in for my Garmin watch (thank you, Best Buy).

BEK
Best Answer